Page 50 of 392 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

timbo - i think i know it. It was in a VERY VERY old Hot4s mag. Was a red '28 with the rear qtr vents blanked off, quad throttle 18RGE.... and some hektik pistons.

I have the mag buried somewhere too.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RAd28
    interesting point there guys... say your application was circuit racing, where most of your time will be WOT or close to, then there would be little or no benefit to be gained by going to the trouble of setting up EFI (like that ITB setup shown above)?
    It's interesting to note that in any racing class where EFI is allowed, every serious competitor will use it. The only time you see carbies in a race car is where it is mandated by the regulatory body (eg NASCAR). So clearly there is a benefit using EFI in a race car, otherwise no-one would waste their money on it!

I think the one of the major benefits to a race team is the ability to fine-tune the engine quickly and easily with EFI, ie hook up the laptop and change a few load points, as opposed to carbies where you have to change jets and fiddle with screws etc. They can even alter the tune in real time while the car is driving which is definitely not possible with carbies! When you're chasing that last fraction of a hp out of your race engine this is a pretty major benefit.

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

So after my insanely rich 18RGEU using 20 Litres of fuel in a 10km drive, and a days worth of revving... we've finally diagnosed the problem to be... a loose ECU plug.

Now, the connections in the plug have seen better days, wondering if anyone knows of any toyotas I might be able to steal a plug out of at the wreckers and attach to my loom. My computer seems is a genuine 18R-GEU...

Failing that, anyone had any luck of getting new contacts to fit into the plugs from somewhere?

Cheers,

Ryan

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

i'd be looking at 22R-E, 5M-E, and similarly aged ECUs
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Spectre's Avatar

There's two types of 18RGEU ECU plugs that ive seen. The part number on teh ECU differer on the last number (one being a 0 the other being a 2). Mine is one solid plug, the other ive seen looks like 2 plugs.

When i opened them both up, one had 2 boards, the other had 1. The pinouts were also different.

One ECU was from a RA63, the other was out of a Corona.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Clod
    So after my insanely rich 18RGEU using 20 Litres of fuel in a 10km drive, and a days worth of revving... we've finally diagnosed the problem to be... a loose ECU plug.

Now, the connections in the plug have seen better days, wondering if anyone knows of any toyotas I might be able to steal a plug out of at the wreckers and attach to my loom. My computer seems is a genuine 18R-GEU...

Failing that, anyone had any luck of getting new contacts to fit into the plugs from somewhere?

Cheers,

Ryan

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

I've got the genuine 18rgeu comp and it has the 2 plugs, one's smaller than the other.

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

Cheers guys yeah my comp has the two plugs, both yellow one is slightly bigger than the other.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Spectre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omegaman
    I've got the genuine 18rgeu comp and it has the 2 plugs, one's smaller than the other.
    The single plug 18RGEU and the double plug 18RGEU ECU's are both "Genuine". Both are stickered Toyota 18RGEU on the ECU's.

It's not a case of one is 'genuine' and the other isn't.

I'll put photos up later.

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Yeah, Witzl, that is the one.

http://toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?

Possibly one of the nuttiest RG's out there when it was at it's peak?

edit: nuttiest N/A RG's anyways
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Junior Member Carport Converter RAd28's Avatar

i was under the impressiog that same celica is still with the HOT4's crew... i have a VERY old issue somewhere, when they were doing the SLEEKA article (part II), and a more recent issue, where they were talking about doing extrusion honing, was running a 3S there, and a more recent issue still showed them giving it ANOTHER paint job (in candy apple) and the same issue mentioned another of the HOT4's crew purchased another RA28 as well...
    '77 RA28LT #2 ← 2.2L 18RG...

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Different car I believe Mate, but I could be wrong.
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Junior Member Domestic Engineer tricky's Avatar

AFAIK, the extrusion honing one was a 3t in a 28. It's the only issue of hot4's I've ever touched
    Nikita the RA23 is almost finished .

Junior Member Carport Converter RAd28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tricky
    AFAIK, the extrusion honing one was a 3t in a 28. It's the only issue of hot4's I've ever touched
    3S... 3T... they're only 1 letter in the alphabet away from each other

timbo - COULD be... but i'm about 99% certain it was the same author, each time refering to HIS car... atleast that's the impression i got... NATHAN LUCK! that's who it was!!!

phoar! can't believe i remember that... my head hurts now , i think i broke something
    '77 RA28LT #2 ← 2.2L 18RG...

Junior Member Domestic Engineer tricky's Avatar

Well when I first got interested in celica's, I thought that also It didn't take long until I got spanked for the mistake though
    Nikita the RA23 is almost finished .

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre
    The single plug 18RGEU and the double plug 18RGEU ECU's are both "Genuine". Both are stickered Toyota 18RGEU on the ECU's.

It's not a case of one is 'genuine' and the other isn't.

I'll put photos up later.
    He wasnt saying his was genuine and the other wasnt... he was merely stating that his wasnt aftermarket, rather it was a genuine item... perhaps he should have said A instead of THE

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.