Page 387 of 392 FirstFirst ... 287337377385386387388389 ... LastLast
Results 5,791 to 5,805 of 5874

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

I'm running a 92mm Cometic, ARP Astron head studs and 14psi boost. No issues and over 1000kms of use (fair bit of that on the dyno)
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

Gents,

as per a few pages back, the discussion with coil packs for 18rg's
    ATM fleebay has them available.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOSCH-IGN...IBAF#vi-ilComp

or http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOSCH-IGN...4AAOSwr41XIBG0

Geez i wanna set...

please delete if this notification is not allowed.
    Last edited by Omegaman; 03-05-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

So how can I work this in with my current breakerless bosh distributor & crane xr700 box ?
    Owen, the other Owen.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Owen, I am after a set of turbo forged pistons and know of Arias or Cometic, what specs did you use to order them or off the shelf? I'm after 92mm 8.5 CR, sound about right?
    Yes the old Celica's are great cars thanks..

76 RA23 18RG
    85 GSXR 750 05 GSXR 750 77 RD400

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

18RG into Celica RA60 auto.

I have a RA60 Celica with a 21RC engine that is way beyond sluggish. I also have an 18RG motor with a mid-bowl sump that I want to install in the RA 60 to replace the 21RC boat anchor. I will need to get an 18R front bowl sump and oil pick-up to make the engine fit. I am comfortable with this.

My question is this: can I mate the 21R auto transmission to the 18RG engine? To use a manual transmission will greatly complicate my project.

Any advice will be appreciated

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Nevakikamukau View Post
    18RG into Celica RA60 auto.

I have a RA60 Celica with a 21RC engine that is way beyond sluggish. I also have an 18RG motor with a mid-bowl sump that I want to install in the RA 60 to replace the 21RC boat anchor. I will need to get an 18R front bowl sump and oil pick-up to make the engine fit. I am comfortable with this.

My question is this: can I mate the 21R auto transmission to the 18RG engine? To use a manual transmission will greatly complicate my project.

Any advice will be appreciated
    Bellhousing wise, yes, you can use the auto with the same bellhousing. May have to modify some dowels but other then that it'll bolt onto it. An issue you may have is finding the right flex plate. If you are lucky everything from the back of the 21RC will bolt straight on.

Manual isn't that difficult though, especially keeping it carby.
    My Daily: NooB's Delivery Vehicle
    My wife's Daily: Series B RA40 Liftback 22RE, power steering, AC. Cushy as.
    Current Project: NooB 3TGTE swap
    Back Burner: 1964 Toyopet ToyoAce, and a Series B TA45 GT coupe
    Too many cars

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusEstevez View Post
    Bellhousing wise, yes, you can use the auto with the same bellhousing. May have to modify some dowels but other then that it'll bolt onto it. An issue you may have is finding the right flex plate. If you are lucky everything from the back of the 21RC will bolt straight on.

Manual isn't that difficult though, especially keeping it carby.
    Thanks for that info Marcus. I am hoping that the flex plate will also fit as the 18RG is shown as an alternate engine in the car's owners handbook. I will eventually convert it to manual as I have the W50 gearbox with the 18RG motor that I have. The auto hook up will get me going for the time being. I am currently trying to locate a front bowl sump and manual pedal box.

Thanks again

Forum Member

Does the 18RG motor or any of its variants have a steel crank or are they all cast?

I've heard rumours of some 18RG's having steel cranks, but never seen any in person, or even photos...
    Too many cars

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusEstevez View Post
    I've heard rumours of some 18RG's having steel cranks, but never seen any in person, or even photos...
    Thanks Marcus. I have been searching the web as i too have heard rumors of such a thing but there is no definite answer that i have come across as yet. There are some photos floating around on google image search but as to their authenticity or even being able to verify that its actually an 18RG is quite challenging. Hopefully i can find one or have one made that does no cost exorbitant amounts of money as i am lookin to build an 18RGEU with forced induction. I may just end up nitriding a standard crank if i cant find one. probably the cheaper option.

I think the standard crank can handle it mate. I've never heard of anyone bending or breaking crankshafts with boost. Just get forged pistons and decent rods.
    Too many cars

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

likewise - never heard of the cranks failing in these motors.

I'm building one that should be >400HP on a stock crank. Zero concern over the crank
    ...... butt scratcher?!

can anyone help me identify these pistons....

they came out of an RG i just bought...

Found them!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

18RG 2000 cc 10.5:1 3.5mm 198-6096PS

This was the information in the 1990 TRD catalog so great find since they possibly are 10.5:1 pistons which would be a challenge for a turbo charged engine without the correct cams or cam timing. Good post, sorry that I couldn't come up with the answer when asked.
    Make sure you now check the cams that came in that engine build!

Brown: Turbo application
    Yellow: Rally or Auto Cross
    Gray: Race application

Source: HKS Ad from 1984
    Last edited by 73GTV; 20-03-2017 at 01:44 AM. Reason: spelling errors