Page 384 of 392 FirstFirst ... 284334374382383384385386 ... LastLast
Results 5,746 to 5,760 of 5874

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Awesome ****** Domestic Engineer Javal's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Quote Originally Posted by geraldf View Post
    had a quick search and couldn't find much on it, 22r crank in 18rg,
    is it worth doing?
    if not are there any other options for stroking the 18rg that don't cost an arm and leg?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slidin23 View Post
    heard of it being done.

heard it turns them into a lazy motor.

i had a mildly worked 22re with a cam exhaust and stuff made 82kw atw and i can say it was defaniatly a lazy low reving motor... great down low torque but when i was drifting it my mate had a 4age that was making less power and could out drive me..
    i feel it would change the 18rg from a nice revy motor to simalar.. would make good low down torque though...
    It's certainly been done and the 22R crank does change the 'character' of the engine notably - longer stroke will help produce more torque but the other side of the coin is that it won't want to rev as hard as an 18R-G. So it becomes a compromise between the characteristics of the 18R-G and 22R. Not necessarily a bad thing, but from the outset you have to accept that the long stroke option will have this effect.

The 22R crank does require significant machining to fit the 18R-G block and timing gear, so you'd really want to have a think about which method of increasing displacement (bore or stroke, or engine swap) will suit your budget and needs best. Overboring and using 92mm pistons will get you to 2.12L, Standard bore and a 22R crank will get you to 2.2 but as mentioned before will reduce its' willingness to rev.

Machine the 22R crank (+block +rods as required) to get 200cc and sacrifice some of the rev-happy nature of the engine
    Or
    Machine the block to accept 92mm pistons, the pistons themselves (+rods +whatever else) to get 120cc and keep a higher RPM ceiling.
    Last edited by Javal; 16-11-2015 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Choice of words
    The 18R-G. The GOOD 2 Litre Tractor motor.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Javal View Post
    It's certainly been done and the 22R crank does change the 'character' of the engine notably - longer stroke will help produce more torque but the other side of the coin is that it won't want to rev as hard as an 18R-G. So it becomes a compromise of the characteristics of the 18R-G and 22R. Not necessarily a bad thing, but from the outset you have to accept that the long stroke option will have this effect.

The 22R crank does require significant machining to fit the 18R-G block and timing gear, so you'd really want to have a think about which displacement increase method (bore or stroke, or engine swap) will suit your budget and needs best. Overboring and using 92mm pistons will get you to 2.12L, Standard bore and a 22R crank will get you to 2.2 but as mentioned before will reduce its' willingness to rev.

Machine the 22R crank (+block +rods as required) to get 200cc and sacrifice some of the rev-happy nature of the engine
    Or
    Machine the block to accept 92mm pistons, the pistons themselves (+rods +whatever else) to get 120cc and keep a higher RPM ceiling.
    Thanks guys, it involves work well over my skill set and knowledge, think i will be keeping it stock for now

sus-023 Backyard Mechanic Slidin23's Avatar

when i built my motor i didnt have the money for high comp after market pistons.
    my engine builder found that 20r pistons fitted with an over bore and valve reliefs cut into the pistons.

the compression didint drop either i believe. and with the added capacity its defaniatly worth it for my budget build. if i build it again though i will be going to a high comp piston. maybe even a custom 20r high comp piston as the dome on the stock 20r pistons apperars to drop off in the middle and have nothing

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Thanks guys, it involves work well over my skill set and knowledge, think i will be keeping it stock for now
    When you look at this remember that there was a 2.6 Modification that you have not addressed as of Yet, Just food for thought!

From 1983!

Last edited by 73GTV; 16-11-2015 at 01:31 PM.

I'm more dodgy than a Backyard Mechanic ra_28's Avatar

WOW 2.6L 18rg that would be an interesting combo!
    RA28 Turbo 18RG
    RT104 - spare toy
    MS55 delux - long term project
    BF II XR8

As dodgy as a Backyard Mechanic GT1978's Avatar

Now a 2.6L 18RG would really be a tractor engine. A guy I work with has one of those 2.7L 4 cylinder petrol hilux's. I don't think he has ever serviced it and it's started spitting one of the spark plugs out the head. He lost the plug the last time it came out so just went to the local garage and got any old second hand plug they had.
    RA28 (18RG)Members Ride
    RA40 (3TGTE)
    RA40 (18RC)
    SXA11R Rav4 Cruiser
    ACA33R Rav4 Cruiser

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Yep, the 3RZ really is the new 18R. So much tractor! Over engineered and stronger than it should ever need to be creates amazing potential.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

iv seen a thread years ago of a 3rz transplanted into a jza80 supra. had a monter turbo on it and ended up making some crazy power.. not sure what happened to it..

Quote Originally Posted by 73GTV View Post
    When you look at this remember that there was a 2.6 Modification that you have not addressed as of Yet, Just food for thought!

From 1983!

Are there any of these kits still available

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

Quick question.
    Haltech ps500 and 18rgeu.
    What idle controller or ISCV can u use, when the PS500 does not have a pwm output, but only DPO outputs.
    i have the excel 3 wire ISCV but i believe its not compatable...
    this is the only part i need sorted before i fire it up.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by Slidin23 View Post
    iv seen a thread years ago of a 3rz transplanted into a jza80 supra. had a monter turbo on it and ended up making some crazy power.. not sure what happened to it..
    I think it may have begun a new life in an RA23 and then played a major part in the end of said ra23.

Are there any of these kits still available
    I honestly do not know, the addresses and phone numbers of the suppliers requires a person who can read and speak to inquire about these ads on 33 year old rare parts. I just thought it would be interesting to present that next stage of development that this engine was heading towards before the changes in production placed the final nail in the coffin of this performance engine series.

Quote Originally Posted by 73GTV View Post
    I honestly do not know, the addresses and phone numbers of the suppliers requires a person who can read and speak to inquire about these ads on 33 year old rare parts. I just thought it would be interesting to present that next stage of development that this engine was heading towards before the changes in production placed the final nail in the coffin of this performance engine series.
    wud be interesting to find out

wud be interesting to find out
    I would start with OK Racing since I know that they are still in Business and they also sell parts via Yahoo-Japan. They did crack down on a lot of the performance speed shops a while back so, Good Hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by masterofsinanju View Post
    I think it may have begun a new life in an RA23 and then played a major part in the end of said ra23.
    do you have a link to a possible thread of this said ra23?