Page 332 of 392 FirstFirst ... 232282322330331332333334342382 ... LastLast
Results 4,966 to 4,980 of 5875

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

I'm more dodgy than a Backyard Mechanic ra_28's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

It still doesn't look right in your video?

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
    RA28 Turbo 18RG
    RT104 - spare toy
    MS55 delux - long term project
    BF II XR8

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

yeh, i haven't fixed it yet.
    i just went out in the rain and compared it again, against all the info u guys gave me.
    It is wrong, big time. All 3 connections are wrong.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Last edited by jabbatron; 27-08-2015 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jabbatron View Post
    Thank you, set base timing accordingly. Gave the old 18rgeu a bit more boost, 25psi with the occasional 29psi boost spike. Need to finish the VSS on the tail shaft and do boost vs VSS. Goes like a shower of shit .
    just on that, the timing that is.
    Do you set the timing at 12 deg, and adjust the dizzy to just before firing no. 1 cyl.
    thats how the bible (green book) seems to read.
    where normally u would set it at TDC.
    the reason i ask, is i've taken the dizzy out so many times, i forgot rule of thumb.

2sc Breaker!!!! Backyard Mechanic bmxer54's Avatar

Where have people been getting lead holders 19941-88210 and 90464-00066.
    I did see there was a cad desing for one a few pages back
    Only after searching 13 pages of "18rg lead clips" to finding nothing
    I ask is anybody making these or know where i can attain some?
    I Tried Amayama but to no avail and toyota couldnt help either
    Any Ideas?

Cheers,

Peter
    My Rides:
    1x Brown St141 corona csx. powered by a gen 2 3sge, 1x RT142 turbo 1UZ, cd009 and G series, 1x Gj Sigma Scorpion injected and turbo'd, 1x KE30 2TG, w58 and F truetrac, 1x RT104 18RG, w58 and F truetrac

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

Set the motor so the 12 timing mark on the pulley is at the pointer. Place the dizzy in without the cap, so the points are just about to break open when the dizzy rotor is giong the correct way. Turn on the ignition and move the dizzy body back and forward a little and listen for the click of the point spark. Set it so the click has just occured and lock down the clamp. Then get the motor running and use the timing light for a final check.

As for the previous question: It usually would feel sluggish when the timing is set too late say less than 8 degrees and it does not advance quickly but it is less to do with changing the mechanical advance and more to do with the static/idle timing. Have you got the Vacuum advance hooked up?

Regards

Rodger

Rodger, Ok, as per the green book. deg on crank and dizzy when just about to spark. cool.
    great, i've read it all right.
    As a side note at TDC the cam notchs should be straight up. true.
    My dizzy has vacuum advance and retard. both connected. This is why i ask the question, both as per diagram shown previously.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Last edited by jabbatron; 27-08-2015 at 02:34 AM.

½ Bogan, ½ Dork Backyard Mechanic andrewzuku's Avatar

I thought I'd share these two photos here, and take this opportunity to give a massive thankyou to stidnam for sending me the Oil Nozzle

Last edited by andrewzuku; 30-05-2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Oops, the image was too large!

king & queen of cheese Domestic Engineer lilcrash's Avatar

That is a beautiful engine.
    Looking for a new toy. If you have something 18r powered let me know.

RIP, where ever you are :- 1974 celica, 3tgte and 186.5hp at 6500rpm

I'd love me some Backyard Mechanic king-szeitszam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzuku View Post
    I thought I'd share these two photos here, and take this opportunity to give a massive thankyou to stidnam for sending me the Oil Nozzle
    I was admiring your ride yesterday mate, very jealous and very nice work! Love the top down engine bay shot.
    The Smurf: A 1972 TA22 with a 2TGEU, individual throttle bodies and a bad attitude.

½ Bogan, ½ Dork Backyard Mechanic andrewzuku's Avatar

Thanks guys.

King, I was looking over your 1972 TA22 + 2T-GEU ITB build and bookmarked the throttle-body supplier in Germany for possible future silliness

Pending a roadworthy, I'm hoping to take my 18R-GU (wrapped in an RA28) up to the All-Jap car show in Brisbane on Sunday the 9th.
    Last edited by andrewzuku; 30-05-2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: I forgot to thank lilcrash

I'd love me some Backyard Mechanic king-szeitszam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzuku View Post
    Thanks King. I was looking over your 1972 TA22 + 2T-GEU ITB build and bookmarked the throttle-body supplier in Germany for possible future silliness

Pending a roadworthy, I'm hoping to take my 18R-GU (wrapped in an RA28) up to the All-Jap car show in Brisbane on Sunday the 9th.
    Better not talk about it too much on this thread or we'll get in trouble- but watch that space for a couple running videos on Friday if you're interested in seeing your potential future investment having a go- a semi-chub courtesy of that beautiful N/A sound is guaranteed

I'm heading to All-Jap too time allowing- we should unite the South East QLD 1st Gen owners. I've been to too many a car show where I was the only 1st gen there Would love to see your 28 in the metal.
    The Smurf: A 1972 TA22 with a 2TGEU, individual throttle bodies and a bad attitude.

2sc Breaker!!!! Backyard Mechanic bmxer54's Avatar

Hopefully have it in the rt104 by next weekend
    My Rides:
    1x Brown St141 corona csx. powered by a gen 2 3sge, 1x RT142 turbo 1UZ, cd009 and G series, 1x Gj Sigma Scorpion injected and turbo'd, 1x KE30 2TG, w58 and F truetrac, 1x RT104 18RG, w58 and F truetrac

I'm more dodgy than a Backyard Mechanic ra_28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmxer54 View Post

Hopefully have it in the rt104 by next weekend
    Very jealous, will be fun in the Corona. Can't wait to do then same thing to mine.
    RA28 Turbo 18RG
    RT104 - spare toy
    MS55 delux - long term project
    BF II XR8