Page 331 of 392 FirstFirst ... 231281321329330331332333341381 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,965 of 5875

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Pro-tractor

that must a Twin charged EFI RG powered beast
    Once apon-a-time world famous Photochopper

http://zammothechoppa.deviantart.com/ : )

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Something similar
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

2sc Breaker!!!! Backyard Mechanic bmxer54's Avatar

Does anybody want to give me pointers as to how much mechanical advance i should set my rg dizzy up with it has 11 degrees at the moment and im thinking of going up to something like 14
    Have many people played with this, what sort of revs could i look at with such a simple mod?

Cheers,

Peter
    My Rides:
    1x Brown St141 corona csx. powered by a gen 2 3sge, 1x RT142 turbo 1UZ, cd009 and G series, 1x Gj Sigma Scorpion injected and turbo'd, 1x KE30 2TG, w58 and F truetrac, 1x RT104 18RG, w58 and F truetrac

You should set your advance at max revs. Somewhere between 30 to 33 degrees at maximum advance would be your best bet. Doesn't matter nearly as much what your advance at idle is.
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jabbatron View Post
    I've tried searching but cant find the answer. What do the 3 timing marks represent on the 18rgeu? tdc is obviously one, what are the other two?

The manual says 7 degree's, looks like i can adjust my base timing a bit more .

<edit> or is it 12 :/

you will find its TDC, 5 deg and 12 deg.

I know everybody is at appreciation day today.
    Just a follow up on the injector issue.
    1. I took injectors out and checked the Ohms, all good at 2.9 or so.
    2. I gave them power and they all clicked.
    3. I powered a wire and checked the earthing at the computer harness plug.
    4. I checked both the #10 & #20 a& both have power when earthed with prob light.
    5. coil has spark, also dwell changed to around 54ddeg.
    6. resistor box for injectors checked, all good.
    7. timing set.
    8.i will edit with results, just added this as im still onto it. if theres anything I missed let me know
    just charging my battery a bit and the booster. then will try to fire it up.
    back soon. Just while im searching, I want to try another ECU I have but noticed the plugs are different.
    Is there anywhere I can buy new plugs for both ECU's. Just to eliminate the plug contacts, as they are suspect.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by Omegaman; 26-05-2013 at 05:32 PM.

By this stage your spark plugs will be heavily fouled. Probably worth throwing a new set in.
    Cheers, Owen

yes I better change them, they are black. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ra_28 View Post
    Hey Omegaman

It's a little off topic but I think your heater tap is hosed incorrectly?

The hose from the water pump should go directly to the heater core and the one from the block should go to the tap.

When hosed that way I think the heater will always be slightly on?

Alex
    ra_28 or Anyone. i have been searching for a diagram for this hose connections. theres nothing showing where they actually go.
    Most engine bay pics, i cant see what i need.
    Does one exist?
    i havent changed it yet. But i want too.

EDIT..i found a diagram, cheers.
    Last edited by Omegaman; 27-05-2013 at 03:27 PM.

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

Peter.

Mechanical advance is set inside the dizzy and is fixed somewhat. Inside the distributor under the vacuum advance/breaker plate is the mechanical advance mechanism.

It has two 'Slots" one may have "8" one may have "10". These numbers are maximum mechanical advance in distributor degrees. When you double that number and add the static crank timing (2 x 10 + 12) for instance it gives you your maximum advance, in this example 32. The springs/ weights and the slot the weights are in, control the rate at which the distributor advances and retards, the advance curve. Change these and it forms the basis of distributor graphing.

Aim to set the dizzy advance up using the larger of the two numbers and use around 12 degrees of advance shown by timing mark or light at idle. If you wish to run without the vacuum advance function you would need to lock the advance/breaker plate and then set you timing as above.
    If you study the Green Book it may list a variety of combinations (per model/year/country) to make the maximum advance all around the 32-34 mark, (at least the 2T bible does). It can mean you can source distributor parts from a variety of Toyota 18R and 20/21R distributors to play around with the timing curve.

If you want to you can file out the slot to give more advance, but it may mean too much total advance and when you reduce your static timing the motor becomes sluggish at idle and off the line at low throttle.

As for revs, not a lot to do with ignition timing as all the advance is usually in before 3000 and it will not advance any further after that.

Regards
    Rodger

Rodger, As the above description. I'd had changed the weights of the dizzy from 7-8 from memory to the 11
    Would this type of change cause the engine to feel sluggish, you've suggested that it might.
    it's been a while since i did this, as my dizzy had a bent shaft, so i mixed and matched.
    18rgue dizzy did have different weights when i replaced the internals.

edit. im reading this thread
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tec...rees-18rg.html
    after reading this, does both weights need to be different or can they be the same eg. 11's.
    Last edited by Omegaman; 27-05-2013 at 04:39 PM.

I am crap as a Conversion King SilverRA23's Avatar

Just in case you needed a photo of a heater tap in the engine bay, here is mine

Now I wonder if mine is set up correct!
    Now - RA23-WRX
    Gone-KE10-KE15-KE35-TA22-AE71-Charade-AE82-MS47-KE15-AE95-MX32
    Need club rego or a CAMS licence in VIC? Join TCCAV www.tccav.org.au

i cant tell from the pic, but when i get home i'll upload the diagrams i found.
    BTW nice engine bay.

I'm more dodgy than a Backyard Mechanic ra_28's Avatar

It should look like this.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
    RA28 Turbo 18RG
    RT104 - spare toy
    MS55 delux - long term project
    BF II XR8

Yes, I do have mine incorrect.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us