Page 292 of 392 FirstFirst ... 192242282290291292293294302342 ... LastLast
Results 4,366 to 4,380 of 5874

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

a 288ish cam is really nice street cam 315 would be some track monsta thats all can input right now
    Once apon-a-time world famous Photochopper

http://zammothechoppa.deviantart.com/ : )

As dodgy as a Backyard Mechanic GT1978's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zammo View Post
    a 288ish cam is really nice street cam 315 would be some track monsta thats all can input right now
    Thats basically what the timing card says. 286 (GOOD IDLE IN 2LT - INCREASED TOP END) 312 (COMPETITION - HOT STREET - ROUGH IDLE)
    Sean had paired them up in a 2.2L High compression engine and I am attempting to do the same. I'm just not sure if he had used the 286 intake and 312 exhaust or 312 intake and 286 exhaust. The good old interwebs are full of opinions just not sure how much is fact. Some people are saying increasing the exdaust duration helps top end with less loss of bottom end than increasing intake duration. Others say it's old wives tales and you don't need longer exhaust duration and others say its engine dependant ie increase the exhaust duration to compensate for poor exhaust port design. I wish old Sean was still around. A great deal of twincam information was lost when he qualified for the eternal grand prix in the sky.

Glen
    RA28 (18RG)Members Ride
    RA40 (3TGTE)
    RA40 (18RC)
    SXA11R Rav4 Cruiser
    ACA33R Rav4 Cruiser

i never got to play with larger cams i bought a set and never got to use them but im sure some one on here will know its just that it seems to have been a bit quiet round toymods in general last weekish

in all honesty i would try it by eye with the 286 on inlet and turn it over slowly by hand keeping an eye on valves

I'm more dodgy than a Backyard Mechanic ra_28's Avatar

Hi

I had 302 and 288 in mine we used the 302 in the intake and the 288 in the exhaust.

Alex
    RA28 Turbo 18RG
    RT104 - spare toy
    MS55 delux - long term project
    BF II XR8

Junior Member Grease Monkey

If it is not a racer I would put the 286 on intake and stock exhaust cam.
    If for racing maybe the 312 on intake and 286 for ex.Wouldn't even come to mind try otherway!

What's the lift of the cams? (do not trust anything else but your own measurements! With digital caliber (or mircometer) it's so easy to zero on the basecircle and then find the max lift)
    Are they grind from new blancks or stock cams? Welded? What's the basecircle?

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

The 315 will be a bit of a pig on the street either way. If you want to run it and aiming for the most grunt then definitely use the 315 on the inlet. It will work on the exhaust and help tone down the lumpy idle but will give no performance benefits over a 286 ex cam.

Boosted, is another matter, but n/a exhaust scavenging is OK with half decent headers (for street use anyways) so you want max fuel/air in and the exhaust will look after itself.

That is a big difference in duration though and i'd be tempted to sell the 315 or get it reground to something more of a match for the 286? I think you'll have to play with the cam timing quite a bit to find a happy compromise.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

As dodgy as a Backyard Mechanic GT1978's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MorGo View Post
    If it is not a racer I would put the 286 on intake and stock exhaust cam.
    If for racing maybe the 312 on intake and 286 for ex.Wouldn't even come to mind try otherway!

What's the lift of the cams? (do not trust anything else but your own measurements! With digital caliber (or mircometer) it's so easy to zero on the basecircle and then find the max lift)
    Are they grind from new blancks or stock cams? Welded? What's the basecircle?
    Can't remember the lift. Think it was 10.7 for the 312 and 10.13 for the 286 but would have to double check.
    These are reground stock cams and i mean reground. Base circle is only just over the shaft diameter. Shims for the 312 were around the 4.75mm mark.

Glen
    RA28 (18RG)Members Ride
    RA40 (3TGTE)
    RA40 (18RC)
    SXA11R Rav4 Cruiser
    ACA33R Rav4 Cruiser

Forum Member Grease Monkey

So I picked up another 18rg today, or 18rgeu with carbies to be exact.

It has been shedbound for 10-15 years and had some very interesting and most likely cancerous smells coming from it as i stripped it down. Anyway it seems like it was pretty well loved in its previous life, definitely been pulled apart before as the bearing caps are all wrong. The oil pump looks brand new and the timing chain guides are hardly worn at all. Few issues though, the top tensioner is broken - are replacements hard to find? It is very rusty and full of brown sludge. I assume the rust is just superficial and the sludge will wash away. Going to give it a fresh bottom end and a rebuilt head, whack it back together with the efi pistons then down the track collect the bits for a supercharger.

So if anyone could recommend an affordable place to clean the head up with new guides, seals and valve seats in Brisbane that would be appreciated.
    18RG RA28

I'm more dodgy than a Backyard Mechanic ra_28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    So if anyone could recommend an affordable place to clean the head up with new guides, seals and valve seats in Brisbane that would be appreciated.
    I've always taken my 18rg heads to JHH in Timms court Woodridge.

JHH cylinder heads

Never had any problems and I thought the price was ok for the quality of workmanship.

Cheers
    Alex
    RA28 Turbo 18RG
    RT104 - spare toy
    MS55 delux - long term project
    BF II XR8

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Trini's engine was an old 18R-GUE that had been in a shed for over a decade. It was pulled down and given a complete rebuild, and now runs like a demon.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

I had a coulpe of heads done at a place in loganholme in the little industrial area before the hyperdome north bound i dont even know if they still there but the guy done a great job on both heads that was valves and all even some corrosion welding and paid less than a grand for each one.

another option is try and get in touch with someone from the rising sun car club they could prob put you onto someone that loves RGs and will do it for a good price

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice Unda Presha's Avatar

Taff I had my 18RG heads done by Ashford Racing / Home. Check the website for his location and contact number. He is very good with head work and has his own flow bench.
    Twin Turbocharged MFI 2JZ EE/AA Competition Altered
    ANDRA Index 7.25sec
    www.undapresharacing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/undapresharacing

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

I know a few chicks that are really good at head work....

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin