Page 206 of 392 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216256306 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 5875

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

nice datsun Backyard Mechanic TRD184's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

yup thats the one, sure is an amazing piece of work
    my RA23 http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=57060&page=2"]
    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tanks of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    - Hit it.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Wow that Celica has had some hours put into it, very nice!!!!

Tried to remove the head yesterday, followed the book and cams came off fine,

Removed head bolts fine as well

But the bloody head will not come off!!

Are there any bolts holding it on hiding in weird places??

I've got the two studs that face down and go through the timing cover off and can't see any thing else holding it on.

There are two big recessed 'allen' style lugs in the head between spark plugs but I dont think they have anything to do with it.

Any help??

I would love to eat a... Domestic Engineer Sagluren's Avatar

no they don't come out... try getting a soft faced mallet or something similar and give it a few knock to loosen the dowels. or find some ware to use a pry bar.
    As far as my memory goes there is the 10 head bolts, two studs that go into the timing cover and maybe one bolt the goes in the drivers side of the engine, into the rear of the timing cover near where the single cam blank off is.. but im not sure if it needs to be taken out to get head off.

cheers sam
    Turbo flutter. : Its like a burp and a hiccup at the same time.

Cheers mate I've been trying everything but it feels like there's either another nut somewhere or the dowels are frozen or they used some crazy sealant on the head gasket I dunno...

sounds like good old hymar (spelling) spray.. keep going you will get there... ive had to use a block and tackle once to get a 202 apart..

cheers sam

Well there is some blue shit around the head gasket but Hylomar (I have a can in my cupboard of doom) is just a spray not an extruding silicone like this stuff. Looks like Permatex (Spelling??) Blue.

The head is rock solid. Jam a bar in an exhaust an the whole engine just moves with it.

The ol' persuader (hammer) does nothin either.

We even tried the engine crank to no avail.

I dunno this is really annoying.

How strong is the alloy in these heads? Maybe I'm being a bit cautious, and not trying hard enough but it doesn't feel like it .

I cant see any other explanation apart from lack of brute force at the moment.

when in doubt power out....

cheers sam

Toyota Dealer Team Backyard Mechanic Willofan's Avatar

Hmmm, been watching this for a little while and thought you would have cracked it by now. The gasket I mean. 10 main bolts and two little nuts are out, the cams are out by your desciption too. have you got the inlet manifold off??

At the rear there is a lug of aluminium on the inlet side and cast iron block below with a gap of about 3-4mm, you can wedge in a flat crow bar or big flat screwy there using a hammer make some pressure and lift to break the seal, if not load that up as mutch as you can and hit the underside of the front timing chain housing in front of the #1 exhaust port with a soft mallet or as you have tried the exhaust ports, becareful of the valve. The dowels are on the inlet side and is where they get a hold.

Just proves to me you should not use Permatex on head gaskets. Good luck
    Rgds, Willofan
    'Growing Old' Beats 'Dying Young' - Drive sensibly and safely
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=54206

edit - hmmm my internet's playin up.

Yeah its a bit screwy every other head has popped off with a bit of muscle.

Dont have the inlet manifold off yet, is that required???
    Last edited by thdevilshands; 04-07-2010 at 06:19 PM.

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

there should be a place to jimmy it somewhere, do not lift from the ports as the head may go flying, dont hit it anymore as it may crack, try that pry bar ideas
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

I know nothing Grease Monkey damian's Avatar

hey all, i'm pulling out my 18RGU out of my RA23, just giving it a quick tidy up and back in. Solexs have been rebuilt, and running 2 1/4" extractors. Pullinmg the mototr out so I can respray the engine bay at the same time as the car...

anyway, been chasing the green book of love for a while, and I see 7M-GTE MX73 put on up (nice work +rep) on the page prior, but I get " The webpage cannot be found "

what am i doing wrong please?

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7M-GTE MX73 View Post
    Hey man,

I couldn't find my books, but did save all the pages from the old site and have zipped them into here.

18R/18RG Green Book
    Dood, that website is now broked. but you can download the book from the link in this post.
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

^^ umm, what link sorry?

and.. why can i access others builds, but not yours?? Just double checked and can look at others from their sigs, but not yours? wtf??

damian, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    Last edited by damian; 06-07-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

the text which says 18R/18RG Green Book and is underlined is actually a link to download a zip file of the book. Here it is though.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4kdxgx...een%20Book.zip
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

yes yes i know that, but the linky no work. Neither of them do

well, let me clarify, the links work, but on that page it says "click here to start download" and then i get good old error 404 when i click on the "button" on that page
    "The webpage cannot be found"

and your reply above said linky not work so i thought you were putting up a new address, but had forgot to paste it in