Page 165 of 392 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 5875

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

I would have to re-check my receipt, but I believe it was $100 a bore fitted. Not sure the brand of sleeve, as I didn't build for big power, I can't see it being an issue. But if your bores look fairly good, then there is a good chance you can get away with a re-ring and a re-hone. As Justen said though, get it to a machinist so they can measure up for you.

The people saying HKS have issues, what application was that in?? Was it an all out race car with 30psi boost?? Or was it a mildly worked NA engine?? ACL pistons seem to last ok, so I can't see the HKS items failing very early.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23 View Post
    I would have to re-check my receipt, but I believe it was $100 a bore fitted. Not sure the brand of sleeve, as I didn't build for big power, I can't see it being an issue. But if your bores look fairly good, then there is a good chance you can get away with a re-ring and a re-hone. As Justen said though, get it to a machinist so they can measure up for you.

The people saying HKS have issues, what application was that in?? Was it an all out race car with 30psi boost?? Or was it a mildly worked NA engine?? ACL pistons seem to last ok, so I can't see the HKS items failing very early.
    That's the bargain of the century mate, must have had some good dirt on the guy
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

All up for all machining, rings, sleeves, and seating all valves it ended up around $1100. Oh, and that included machining the ring lands of the GUE pistons to suit the standard rings.
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

I am crap as a Conversion King SilverRA23's Avatar

Had a search and not found any really good answers. Any one got a good solid solution to 18rg oil starvation issues?

I figure while my engine is still apart I might as well mod the sump - I was thinking gates but am open to other suggestions. Have a good fabricator who can do most things exceptionally well.
    Now - RA23-WRX
    Gone-KE10-KE15-KE35-TA22-AE71-Charade-AE82-MS47-KE15-AE95-MX32
    Need club rego or a CAMS licence in VIC? Join TCCAV www.tccav.org.au

It's unproven, but check the RA28 link in my sig for the frankensump. Added about an inch of sump (need to cut a notch to properly clear the crossmember) and a flapgate which only allows oil toward the pickup. Further to that, you should extend your pickup so it gets the oil from as low in the pan as possible.
    Cheers, Owen

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by SilverRA23 View Post
    Had a search and not found any really good answers. Any one got a good solid solution to 18rg oil starvation issues?

I figure while my engine is still apart I might as well mod the sump - I was thinking gates but am open to other suggestions. Have a good fabricator who can do most things exceptionally well.
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...t=6349&page=33

Post 659

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    In addition to the pump some sump mods are warrented, particularly if any track work is planned. A dead easy and very effect mod is outlined in that thread but basically wing the sump for some extra capacity which never hurts and weld vertical baffles off the floor in the shape of an X with the pickup at the crossover point. No matter which way the oil is being pushed by G's it has to flow past the pickup. I have used this to good effect in the past and much simpler and more effective than gates.

Also, Jase suggests some shrouding mods to the pickup itself which sound like a good idea.

Combine these 2 mods with pump and oil cooler and you have the best thing bar a dry sump All pretty simple too.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    In addition to the pump some sump mods are warrented, particularly if any track work is planned. A dead easy and very effect mod is outlined in that thread but basically wing the sump for some extra capacity which never hurts and weld vertical baffles off the floor in the shape of an X with the pickup at the crossover point. No matter which way the oil is being pushed by G's it has to flow past the pickup. I have used this to good effect in the past and much simpler and more effective than gates.

Also, Jase suggests some shrouding mods to the pickup itself which sound like a good idea.

Combine these 2 mods with pump and oil cooler and you have the best thing bar a dry sump All pretty simple too.
    Logic units concur. I meant to include the X-weld and shroud mods also.

Just remember to keep the revs below 6500rpm or it can affect the space-time continuum - such is the awesomeness of the mighty 18R-G.

seeyuzz
    river

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    Hi,

Logic units concur. I meant to include the X-weld and shroud mods also.

Just remember to keep the revs below 6500rpm or it can affect the space-time continuum - such is the awesomeness of the mighty 18R-G.

seeyuzz
    river
    Must have been why Halley's Comet ran so close then as i was spinning mine out to 8000rpm on a daily basis back then

Minor headwork, cams, balanced bottom end and a much much lighter flywheel and it revved like a 20V but with torque
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Hey, I randomly met a bloke who has an extremely worked 18RG (he thinks) with yamaha heads, brass button clutch and strengthened steel case 5 speed, that he claims had the power to twist his chassis to the point of popping a door open. He wanted to by my shell for it, but I asked how much he'd want for it, and he came up with a figure of $2k.
    Other claims are that it will idle over 2000rpm and redline over 10,000rpm.
    I was after some feedback: Firstly, could this engine even be possible of this? And given that I can't see it run, is this a bit steep? It is pollished up though which lends some credibility - that and the 3 worked V8's that he has in his shed, including a torana that wheelstands.

Any thoughts would help.

Hi,

Maybe a 503E or whatever it is might do it.

Steel case box is the P51 gearbox.

seeyuzz
    river

Junior Member Carport Converter Roscos's Avatar

Don't believe everything you here.

If it can rev to 10,000`it will be all over the garage floor and idle at 2,000, we can all do that but cannot afford the petrol bill to do it.

As far as twisting the chassis and popping a door open, River would like to think so but they are not that powerful to do that. They are lucky to pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Roscos

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

I don't know, I reckon I'd be able to pop my doors off if I jacked up one side of my RA23 high enough!
    1976 RA23 Celica - 3SGE Blacktop Beams Powered!
    1994 KZN130 Surf - Daily 3ltr Turbo Diesel Goodness!

Why am i always a.. Domestic Engineer RAAAH23's Avatar

EDIT: thought this was the gen 1 thread sorry
    Last edited by RAAAH23; 06-11-2009 at 11:19 AM.
    Cheers, Alex

- 1976 TA23 2T-GTE GT3076 ID1000cc E85 Haltech PS1000, W58, G Series Diff, B45 Simmons

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Presidentom View Post
    Hey, I randomly met a bloke who has an extremely worked 18RG (he thinks) with yamaha heads, brass button clutch and strengthened steel case 5 speed, that he claims had the power to twist his chassis to the point of popping a door open.
    Stories.

An 18R-G can make a respectable amount of power but it will never make a lot of torque, certainly not enough to "twist the chassis" - unless the chassis is made out of plywood or something.