Page 163 of 392 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173213263 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 5875

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

As dodgy as a Backyard Mechanic GT1978's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Quick search pulled up result of 2TG second gen. Most likely originating from a late TE27 or a TE37 corrolla. So basically, don't try and bolt it to an 18RC block.

Glen

Damn beaten. Gotta be quick to beat River.
    RA28 (18RG)Members Ride
    RA40 (3TGTE)
    RA40 (18RC)
    SXA11R Rav4 Cruiser
    ACA33R Rav4 Cruiser

Junior Member Carport Converter Roscos's Avatar

Look at the cover on the front of the head, it is a 2TG head, 18RG heads didn't have that shape cover.

Roscos

I would love to eat a... Domestic Engineer Sagluren's Avatar

can anyone tell me if the 2tg and the 18rg upper timing chains are the same, i friend showed me a epc of some place in melbourne that had them listed together, with i think 7mgte and maybe 3tgte as well.

if this is correct then it could be a new set of upper chains being made.

cheers
    Turbo flutter. : Its like a burp and a hiccup at the same time.

Awesome ****** Domestic Engineer Javal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sagluren View Post
    can anyone tell me if the 2tg and the 18rg upper timing chains are the same, i friend showed me a epc of some place in melbourne that had them listed together, with i think 7mgte and maybe 3tgte as well.

if this is correct then it could be a new set of upper chains being made.

cheers
    7MGTE is belt drive.

I THINK 2TG / 3TG are the same as well.
    The 18R-G. The GOOD 2 Litre Tractor motor.

I would love to eat a... Domestic Engineer Sagluren's Avatar

yeah looking back i meant 4tg instead of 7mgte, my fingers like to type things that im not thinking.

cheers
    Turbo flutter. : Its like a burp and a hiccup at the same time.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

While I am not certain if the tg and rg chains are the same I know the 20R 98 link chain will work in the RG for the upper chain if RG and TG are the same then the 20R 98 link should work there as well. HTH Be Safe
    Greg

I don't want to be a Domestic Engineer bnicho's Avatar

I've got a wierd oil light related problem with my 18RGU.

Recently the oil light has started flickering weakly just off idle when revved, say about 1500-1800rpm.

I was worried the bottom end was dodgy, so I pulled out the switch and temporarily connected up an oil pressure gauge. It shows healthy oil pressure all round (30 psi at hot idle, 60-70psi at cruise).

Thinking it was the pressure switch I swapped it for the one from the old 16R, and it has exactly the same symptoms!

The oil light is in the stock 18RG location, on the filter housing, not into the no. 1 bearing gallery like an 18R.

Maybe it's a wiring or eathing fault? Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Brett Nicholson (bnicho) - Greendale, Victoria
    I own Corollas, Crowns, Prados and
    Various leaking British things...

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

It could be a dodgy wire shorting out dood.

Disconnect the wire from the switch and then test the wire with a multimeter while jiggling the loom.
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

I think the 21R chain is the same as the 18RG upper chain.
    If the part number has DR-98 in it, then it's the correct one if from a toyota motor.
    I bought my upper chain recently, it was listed under the 18R-C heading in the parts book. (I know it was in the incorrect section, but I was glad to see it there anyway.)
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Junior Member Grease Monkey MnToyGuy's Avatar

Check your ground! That's my initial response to most all electrical problems, and the solution to 90% of them. Easy to do also! Run a jump wire from your battery neg to the ground on the warning light. If the problem goes away, then it's a ground issue.

The lower chain is the same as the 18RC and the upper, as stated before is the same as the 20R 98 link. The only difference is that the colored links are in the wrong spot for the RG. You can either set the cam timing without usuing the colored link or paint the proper link, copying your old RG chain

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

hello, this is my first post, your site has been extremely informative. I thank you for that. I just discovered this 18rgeu in a storage unit in northern california. I'm just starting the project, disassembly is done, and I want keep you updated on the progress. it's going into this rt72.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia roadkill's Avatar

Hi,

looks good man, just make sure you get that thermostat housing top part if it's lying around!

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

Great looking car,buddy.

should be a big power gain for you when complete.
    Start a new post in the members ride section on this. It will be good to follow your progress.
    It will keep all your post together and all relivant replies.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    Hi,

looks good man, just make sure you get that thermostat housing top part if it's lying around!

bEn
    forgive me, i'm new to the 18rg. I have the thermostat housing itself, but the top of it is missing. obviously this is what you mean. you aren't the first person to mention it. what gives, impossible to find? everything has been easy street so far.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia roadkill's Avatar

hI,
    i think it's covered somewhere in this thread - or the turbo 18rg thread - but the housing is unique to the efi engine (18r-GUE) so hence you can't just get the top part from another 18rg. It's only really an issue if you are going to use efi as the fuel rail hits the normal thermostat housing, hence why it is different on the efi engine. If you're going to run carbies just get a thermo housing and top off a normal 18rg and you'll be sweet!

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown