Page 112 of 392 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 5875

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Hey,

This is not for an "in tank steup" but, seeing as how you have a similar problem to what I had......

I have an 18rc block with an 18rg head, pistons and rods (i hope) , with twin webbers. I had a very similar problem when I got my car. Cylinders were shutting down and halting progress!

My fix was flushing the fuel tank with water then vacuming out additional water with a wet and dry vacuum at one end and a heater at the other (2 hours worth to ensure minimal water left).

I then added a "Hansa 12 volt" fuel pump from Auto Pro that cost $110 (Brass box) with an efi filter. And flushed the lines for 5 mins with fuel.

This completely fixed my problem and the engine has run very well for the past month (including a trip to wakefield park).

hope that helps,

Jusepi
    Last edited by Jusepi; 22-05-2008 at 12:49 AM.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Jusepi... why clean with water?? And if your going to try and get the water out, rinse with metho. It is both hygroscopic and it evaporates. It will in fact soak up the water, and any residue will dissolve in the petrol and be harmless to your system.

Draining the tank and refilling with fresh fuel often also works, though if you get chunky bits out (rust particles) then it's time to change the tank.

On another note, got my 18R-GTE exhaust manifold finished finally!! Pics are in my RA28 thread linked in my sig.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I did put new fuel in the tank... will recheck condition though. Thanks.
    FT86 - still under warranty - cant modify it
    2 RA28's, 18RGEU - dead - went bang, 1JZGTE
    1 RA35GT 18RGEU,
    1 AE86 4AGEU
    1 RA65 2JZGTE

I don't want to be a Domestic Engineer bnicho's Avatar

Recording this here for future reference...

Hurricane headers HU127 do NOT fit an 18RGU in an RT104 Corona without significant modifications to the collector area. I'm waiting for a sizeable bill from my exhaust guy.

I could not locate any new extractors that did, and the s/h ones River kindly sold me didn't fit either.
    Brett Nicholson (bnicho) - Greendale, Victoria
    I own Corollas, Crowns, Prados and
    Various leaking British things...

I would love to eat a... Domestic Engineer Sagluren's Avatar

i have some i brought from my local exhaust supplier, haven't fitted them up yet, but they look like they will fit good enough.

cheers.
    Turbo flutter. : Its like a burp and a hiccup at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagluren
    i have some i brought from my local exhaust supplier, haven't fitted them up yet, but they look like they will fit good enough.

cheers.
    You will probably be okay if you are fitting them to a Celica. But a Corona is quite different under the bonnet and both sets of extractors I had interefed with the inner guard and chassis rail at the back of the engine bay. Even with the engine lifted up a bit off the mounts they would not go in without modification.

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Hey Brett,

TwentyEight has a set of RG extractors that I leant him a while ago, and I don't think he is using them.

If you want to borrow them to see if they fit, it might be an excersise worth trying...
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Quote Originally Posted by timbosaurus
    Hey Brett,

TwentyEight has a set of RG extractors that I leant him a while ago, and I don't think he is using them.

If you want to borrow them to see if they fit, it might be an excersise worth trying...
    Hi Timbo,

A good idea, but it's too late. The car now has a modified set of (new) Hurrcane headers and 2 1/4" system with a 3" chrome dump at the end. I'm picking it up tomorrow morning. $700 all up. Not cheap but this is the fourth system these guys have done for me and I trust them.

Cheers,
    Brett.

Oh, cool!

It's not Tidd Bros. Exhaust near the Westgate is it? I've been there twice, and apart from the fact that they're busy, I've been really happy with them.
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST

Quote Originally Posted by timbosaurus
    Oh, cool!

It's not Tidd Bros. Exhaust near the Westgate is it? I've been there twice, and apart from the fact that they're busy, I've been really happy with them.
    Nah, it's Werribee Exhausts. A bit closer to home. I've been very happy with their work previously. They prefer doing custom systems on unusual cars, unlike most places around here.

Cheers,

Ah, cool, I'll have to keep 'em in mind.

$700 is not a bad price, if that includes the cost of the extractors???
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST

Yep, $740 all up, inluding the extractors, mods to the extractors and the whole system. It's got a hot dog and a sports muffler intended for a V6 commonwhore, but it's still a bit loud for my taste. I think the drone will drive me crazy but I will give it a couple of runs first. He said it was the third muffler he tried and he asked me if these motors are normally hard to make quiet? It certainly was louder in the donor car, but the exhaust in that thing was crap!

I'll get some pics over the next few days. I was in a hurry to get to work this morning. I just dropped the car at home and left again.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear the extractors did not fit.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Yeah 18RGs with a 2" or larger exhaust are hard to keep quiet.
    Mine has a 2" press bent exhaust, hot-dog style resonator, and redback muffler... and it rumbles pretty loudly. I wouldnt call it droney though, its more rumble than drone.

Certainly better than a 4A with an exhaust!!
    ...... butt scratcher?!

No worries River, it was worth a try. They looked like they would fit! You better send me your details so I can pay for them. Then I will sell them on to someone in Melbourne who wants them. They should be fine on an RA23 or RA28.