Page 10 of 392 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Witzl, I'm pretty sure that the question mark on your photo of the GEU intake plenum is part of the idle up mechanism for airconditioning.
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Thanx Witzl. Going to order what I need and get this thing running again.

Have a question for anyone that might know this. I have notice that most the 18r-g* on here and other sites have a different rocket cover than the one I have. I am interested to find out what it is off (18r-GE ?) Nothing gained, nothing lost?

Thanx for your time
    Adam

---------------------
    KE-30 Corolla
    18r-GU 88250 2lit Twin .45 Webbers
    Edit: picture urcl
    Last edited by KE30_18r-gu; 10-02-2006 at 05:12 PM.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Steve, i realised exactly what you just said whilst driving to work this morning thinking about putting the aircon on the car

It uses a VSV to open the big air bypass port on it - kind of like an amplifier
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Norbie: that's a very clean looking workshop floor you have there under the eyesore - would you like some used diff oil (mixed with unknown waste solvents) and wheel-bearing grease to return it to it's native oil-stained finish?

Forum Member Grease Monkey scootaphill's Avatar

Karl if you have the EPC you could use the pics to determine where it goes and what it does via part number etc...

or i could go have a look... *walks to shed* mine connects to vac advance on dizzy..

cheers

ps howd the wiring turn out?
    ON HOLD Current Project 1UZ-FE Powered Buggy
    Last Project 18R-GEU time to tinker

EDITED ITS ALL VERY LAMO

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster
    Norbie: that's a very clean looking workshop floor you have there under the eyesore - would you like some used diff oil (mixed with unknown waste solvents) and wheel-bearing grease to return it to it's native oil-stained finish?

or failing that, just buy my commodore, it'll make it messy as fuck
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

Corolla Collecter Backyard Mechanic Trent-KE30's Avatar

Hey Adam, per your KE30 18R-G how hard was the conversion?, got any more pics?

First time ive seen this done,

Trent

Sheebz Automotive Grease Monkey Gleno28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KE30_18r-gu
    Thanx Witzl. Going to order what I need and get this thing running again.

Have a question for anyone that might know this. I have notice that most the 18r-g* on here and other sites have a different rocket cover than the one I have. I am interested to find out what it is off (18r-GE ?) Nothing gained, nothing lost?

Thanx for your time
    Adam

---------------------
    KE-30 Corolla
    18r-GU 88250 2lit Twin .45 Webbers

Hey Adam, your cover matches the one i had on the 18RGEU (88270 head), but... also matches one off a 18RGU (88253 head), but i'd say later gen 18RG's, i'll see if i can get some pics up

18RGEU

18RGU

Glen.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster
    What you can't see is the floor under where the Supra is usually parked. I have oil stains aplenty, don't you worry.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

The cam covers with the "DOHC" raised text and oil cap on the intake side are from 18R-GEU's..... it's not at all uncommon for cam covers to be swapped around though, as some people actually seek out the 18rgeu cover for it's "DOHC" label.

Phill....
    that's pretty weird how your's connects to the vacuum advance on the dissy - in fact that's just all wrong by my understanding.
    Vacuum advance dissy's are supposed to be connected to a vacuum port that only gets vacuum when the throttle is JUST cracked open. It shouldnt have vacuum all the time.... otherwise at 5000rpm when you lift the throttle off, you are at max mechanical advance due to the weights, and then suddenly it advances another 10 or so degrees on TOP of that max advance..... not cool!

I have used one of the 2 ports on the throttle body as these are just in front of the butterfly, as described above

I'll try to draw up my conceptual understanding of the vacuum system...

Last edited by The Witzl; 08-02-2006 at 04:00 PM. Reason: added my beautiful diagram..... woot
    ...... butt scratcher?!

This is not really the place but...

What sort of valve to piston clearance (on overlap at 10deg) are you guys running... im moreso intrested in the INTAKE valve to piston...

im also intrested in the availability of stronger after-market springs

cheers
    phill

PS karl my dissy has two vacum hoses. if 1 is closest to the body and 2 in furtherest from the body the formentioned vacum line is connected to number 2...

EDITED ITS ALL VERY LAMO

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

i run the springs by performance springs, PN RR4,about $150 a set, can hold my valves at over 8000,
    they are doubles too
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

thats great but what piston to valve are you running on the intake?

ps wahst happened to your avator

EDITED ITS ALL VERY LAMO

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Does anyone have or know where i can get a copy of the 18r engine manual.The older green covered one that covers 18rgs.
    Thanks Nev

Junior Member Domestic Engineer tricky's Avatar

Yep. They pop up on e-bay frequently. Probably one a week or so.