Thread: Carb to EFI Fuel lines

Junior Member Domestic Engineer NeoNasty's Avatar

Default Carb to EFI Fuel lines

Hey all,

Ive been wondering for a while now how back yarders make their own fuel return lines. I assume everyone uses some steel piping and then bends it to suit. Can you use brass piping? Then you could just silver solder then whole thing together and your laughing.

There are so many retro tech conversions going on that I know it cant be that hard. Do you guys use one single pipe and bend it the whole length of the car or use a few smaller lengths and then weld them together?

+ rep for anyone that can enlighten me.

++ rep for anyone that can supply some pics and info on tools used etc etc
    HZJ75, RS41, JZZ30

Junior Member Grease Monkey rob20v's Avatar

Default Re: Carb to EFI Fuel lines

I just got hold of another fuel line the same as the original and mounted them together with double saddle clamps (try to avoid the lines rubbing on each other).. Not sure about brass, ok for fuel fittings. I know that fuel lines are a pain to remove from a car at the wreckers but if you can do it carefully you end up with a matching pair of lines that look the same and really neat. Remember don't let them rub each other or the body or over time they can fail. Have a look how car manufacturers mount them.The other thing to take into account is the fuel volume that will be going through them. Another thing is to use EFI rated flexible hose on each end of the steel and not just use the old carby hose as it is not rated at the pressure required for an EFI engine.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

weld = messy. single length of bundy tube is fine.
    if you have any bits where you just cannot use a single bit, join it with a short length of rubber, but flare the ends of the metal...

also, grab stock fuel/brake line holders from wreckers.. makes installation neat.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Awsome idea using some old stock lines. But yes, they would suck royally to remove in one piece

bundy tube eh? how do you bend it without getting crimped? Do you use a tube bender?

+rep for ya'll

By weld the smaller pipes together I meant, silver solder brass pipe. Neat as all shit and strong too! Im just not sure how it would go with all the vibrations etc
    HZJ75, RS41, JZZ30

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

What about kunifer pipe?

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Junior Member Grease Monkey rob20v's Avatar

Oldcorollas is right. No need to get too complicated but I just found that the same pipe runs right beside the other one and with the right rubber mounting blocks it looks original and they re not too bad to get off the car if it is jacked up a bit.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer MRMOPARMAN's Avatar

i usually use the old line for return line, then use bundy + tube bender and replicate the original line, just with bigger bundy, then mod the sender to suit. apart from that, pretty much what oldcorollas said

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    if you have any bits where you just cannot use a single bit, join it with a short length of rubber, but flare the ends of the metal...
    But how do you flare bundy for hoses?

There are those tools which flare the ends from screw on joints, but that same style end flare isnt good for sliding rubber hose over.

Junior Member Carport Converter TA-022's Avatar

get compression fittings from pirtek instead.

bout $5 a piece it work out for me which was quit good.
    Black Betty >HERE!<

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Traditionalist Domestic Engineer parrot's Avatar

In my AE86 I used the original fuel supply line as the return. I just changed the rubber line at the tank end over to the fuel return on the tank inlet/outlet. Getting under a car if it is only on stands and bending tube to fit is a real prick of a job. Then depending on what type of car it is the rubber pipe retainer things are usually pretty buggered. I ended up getting some of the later designed plastic line retainers off Cressidas and what not (any EFI car at pick a part) and adapting them to suit. They have a clip big enough for the new EFI line too.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

I recently got new fuel lines made for my Supra. It cost $160 for the guy to come out and fabricate/install the main and return lines, including fittings and flares. Unless you're on a mega-tight budget I reckon that's money well spent, it saves a whole lot of stuffing around and it's as good as a factory setup.

Its not so much that Im on a really tight budget. I just want to learn as much as I possibly can. I think i'll try and get another set of stock lines anduse them. If that doesnt work I'll try and make some.
    HZJ75, RS41, JZZ30