Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are 3sge beams motors interference motors?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

Default Are 3sge beams motors interference motors?

Cousin's beams timing belt came off awhile ago, finally the thing is back toghether, but there is no compression. Barely runs, can spin the tires while in gear with ease.

The conclusion now is that the valves are bent. I always thought toyo motors with a rubber timing belt were non interference. perhaps the vvti beams motors are interference?

just looking for confirmation on weather the 3dge beams is infact an interference engine?
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

Default Re: Are 3sge beams motors interference motors?

i just googled it and came up with some kind of list of engines with known interference:

http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/to...-articles.html

and there's nothing about celica's or MR2's in there so should be ok.

P.S. long time no see.
    beer me!

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Firstly.... lucky bugger has a BEAMS motor !!!
    Second... check cam timing, ignition timing etc. Also check and make sure the VVT is working (not sure how the VVT works... maybe you can see it in motion if you rev the motor with the timing case off and a timing light on the cogs to see if they advance??)

If its making good power, but running like a dog, I would say you could have too much cam overlap, which will give a low compression reading, but give great power high in the rev range, but have nothing physically wrong with the motor. You dont have access to a peephole camera you can poke down the spark hole do you?? Do a non-invasive inspection of the valves.

Good luck, let us know how you go... and photos if its a disaster zone!!

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Carport Converter Mooro's Avatar

Can't help you sorry but pm sent.

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by urantia
    just looking for confirmation on weather the 3dge beams is infact an interference engine?
    surely you mean 3S-GE Beams.. ?

and

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    Firstly.... lucky bugger has a BEAMS motor !!!
    Second... check cam timing, ignition timing etc. Also check and make sure the VVT is working (not sure how the VVT works... maybe you can see it in motion if you rev the motor with the timing case off and a timing light on the cogs to see if they advance??)

If its making good power, but running like a dog, I would say you could have too much cam overlap, which will give a low compression reading, but give great power high in the rev range, but have nothing physically wrong with the motor. You dont have access to a peephole camera you can poke down the spark hole do you??
    erm... i thought 3S-GE beams were dual vvt-i anyway... ?
    Last edited by Vios-GT_07; 19-04-2007 at 04:09 PM. Reason: edited for accuracy
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

AFAIK it's only the 4th gen Blacktops that are dual vvt-i, with the red top only having VVT-I on the intake.

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

Must be a gen 4, gen 5 has titanium valves!
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

if it's beams i'm pretty sure it's dual vvt-i and gen4..

being told it is an inteference motor as a mate of mine overseas has damaged his motor from some tensioner or pulley..
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Photographer and Backyard Mechanic Rinmax's Avatar

drop a PM to celica_ra45 he's build a few good beams and killed some too.
    "It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place." - JM

"A Ferrari is a scaled down version of god while a Porsche is a Beetle with mustard up its bottom." - JC

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

gen 4 isnt dual vvti
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Hey guys, thanks for your input on my dilema.

Just to confirm the engine is a beams blacktop from caldina with single vvti (st215).

After having the idler pulley bolt break, i had pulley replaced and a newer belt put on and everything was looking prettey good with all the timing marks lined up.

Now when i try and start it it sounds like a hog with a very rough idle, is hard to start and wont idle without some throttle aplication.
    There is also a prettey loud claking sound coming from the head

There realy isnt much else i can try, i could disconect vvti solenoid and try again.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

is the motor rocking and back firing at all and have you done a comp test to see what they are ,you said belt came off with the idler broke and the cam might have advanced to much ,which means opening more and hits the exhaust valves ,so 1st do comp test if all cylinders are zero you have bent valves right through

Junior Member Domestic Engineer MRMOPARMAN's Avatar

before you completely fuck the engine, get a leak down test done on it, that will tell you if you have a loss of compression, AND where its coming from

Junior Member Domestic Engineer mic*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN
    before you completely fuck the engine, get a leak down test done on it, that will tell you if you have a loss of compression, AND where its coming from
    I would concur, but there is no particular reason to think in this instance that a low compression reading would be to do with rings or lands. If its low, its gonna be a valve issue.

Urantia can you clarify what you mean by "barely runs... can spin the TYRES while in gear with ease" Ie do you mean on stands, or lighting em up down the road???

If the power is still there (up top) but its got low comp readings then id say the intake & exhaust need another rib of belt between them. Although the marks line up, id check it again anyway.

The VVTi should have nothing to do with a low reading coz it should not be doing anything at the couple of hundred rpms you do a comp test at.

The "clacking noise" is more than a little concerning...
    meh...

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

Hi Guys sorry for late reply.

The other day when i was over there to bleed the clutch and we tried to get it started, Frigged around all day, checked for spark, fuel etc. Tried to start it a few times, a couple times it tried to start, and it even ran as if it were running on a couple cylinders.

The wheels are up on jacks, and in any of the gears you can spin the wheels by hand and they feel smooth. (should at least feel the compression). Also putting your hand over the intake when trying to start it, there is virtually no suck of air.

I did abit of research and according to a wiki all 3s motors are non interference except for the beams (how ironic). Seeing as the timing belt pulley let loose and allowed the timing belt to buzz saw thru the timing cover its looking positively like bent valves. But cousin will try out some of your suggestions and we will let you all know. Compression test ASAP

(and yes damage shots will be up if it turns out to be bent valves)
    Last edited by urantia; 20-04-2007 at 12:22 PM.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)