Thread: Help with Non-Toyota (excel) stalling

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Help with Non-Toyota (excel) stalling

Hey Guys,

I know this isnt Toyota problem but i am sure there is someone that can help with this. I have an excel x2 (1.5 fuel injected model 1990). It is our Autocross car.

Anyway we needed to do an engine swap as ours died. So we picked up a more recent model of the same engine (4G6 motor) . Anyway it had a different computer and throttle body, so we pulled off the existing throttle body from the old engine and fitted that to the new engine and kept our loom and did the engine swap.

It all matched up well and it now in the car. We went to turn it over the other day, and it started, however after holding a good idle for 5sec it dies.

If you try to push the accelerator the car stalls. if you pump the accelerator very fast it will stay running, however it during the time the trottle is pressed it, it sounds like it will stall, but when you let off the throttle it seems OK.

It smells very rich when it does idle. So does anyone have a suggestion on what could cause the problem?

We think it may be getting too much fuel. But the computer is the original one, and we dont think the injectors are different between motors. But maybe there are.

It seems that all vacuum plugs are connected in the right place, and all other plugs are connected to the right areas.

Cheers

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

Default Re: Help with Non-Toyota (excel) stalling

hm... i think u should use the computer that came with the car.. from memory there are some minor differences and revisions to the emission crap with the newer models...

but yea apart from that, off the top of my head cold start injectors ? timing is spot on? are u using the ignitor and coil from the new motor?
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

We are using the orignial computer, not the one that came on the new engine. Reason being the new engines computer was different to the one in the car and the entire loom had different plugs on to connect to the computer. hence why we kept the original throttle body and inlet manifold. The timing is right, as the car wont start if the dizzy is one gear either side of where it is.

We are using the original coil and ignitor as they link into the old computer.

fuel pressure regulator maybe, we had problems in mums car which were traced back to a dodgy FPR
    milk and juice come in 2L, The cheapest wines come in 5L, the finest vodka comes in 1L

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

that's weird... the new engine and it's computer is different? must've been swapped after the engine was taken out? hmm..

doubt it's the ECU's fault anyway... are u getting any error codes? tried adjusting the throttle plate etc etc? fuel filter clogged? any blocks in the fuel line? (especially the return?)

i have a feeling the injectors are the same anyway if it's the same motor..doubt the revision includes different injectors.. i'll go and check as i used to have a hyundai, previous model with a 4 speed box *shh*
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

The engine we got was in the car. We bought the car a complete wreck. so that is what made it stranger.

We will be checking the ECU faults tonight, we didnt have the manual at my house to check what they meant. So will do that tonight.