Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aristo R154 conversion help

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Aristo R154 conversion help

Hello

I'm in the process of trying to aquire a conversion kit from cvap that should fit my car (92 2jzgte Aristo) and the questions I have are...

Will the Aristo driveshaft be long enough and will the auto rear diff ratios be ok to use with the R154 ones? I am under the impression that the 2JZGTE Aristo's have 3.76 ratio rear diffs?

Don't want to get all the bits over here to NZ and find I still need to get heaps more. Any other helpful info would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: Aristo R154 conversion help

You'll definitely need a custom driveshaft as the Aristo auto uses a rubber donut while the R154 has a conventional splined yoke. Don't know about length but that's a moot point when you have to have one fabricated.

Diff ratio should be fine, you want something reasonably tall with a torquey turbo engine like the 2JZ-GTE.

R.I.P. Pentamax Chief Engine Builder Adsport's Avatar

will the shifter be in the right position?

which generation r154 are you planning to use?

a friend of mine is looking at swapping the auto in his jza80 to a manual and wanting to use R154 , we cant get any info on box lengths and shifter positions..
    My fat AW11 poobarge - 4AGZE (retired)

My Corolla ! - 4AGTE

KP61 - 4AGE

JZA80 needs a JZZ30 box, pretty much the same chassis so the gearbox is a direct swap.

Don't know about an Aristo but at a guess I'd say it needs the JZZ30 box as well, which has the external shifter position (shifter sits above the front uni).

hrm i thought about this, but ive seen GZ20's with remote shift boxes.. GZ20 is the same layout dimensions as A70 which came wth top loader R154 so by all logic this would indicate that the remote and top loader boxes have the shifter in the same place ?

is it possible that the remote shift boxes are just shorter than the top loading ones , and need to have the remote shifter to come through the body in the same position. OR is it possible that there are different remote shift boxes, i know jzx90/100 have remote shift boxes but i find it hard to beleive that jzz30 would have a box entirely specific to itself??

My Corolla ! - 4AGTE

KP61 - 4AGE

to add this from soarercentral :

http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...78/118441.html

Hey guys I am going to do a manual conversion on my jzz30 with the help from a good mate Thads, he is on these forums somewhere, he has given me all the technical know how and is the one that has passed on most of the info, I am going to take pics all the way through just so everyone can have a go if they want, I couldn’t find any threads on this with pics etc so here goes

Parts inc.

• R154 Gearbox (We have the one without remote shift out of a Toyota Cresta Jzx90)
    • Clutch master and slave cylinder
    • Clutch hydraulic hard and flexi line
    • Flywheel with bolts
    • Clutch Friction disk (We have chosen a standard one for the car to see how she runs fist)
    • Clutch Pressure plate with bolts (We have a TRD Plate Came with the kit)
    • Clutch peddle box with all peddles and pins etc (could not find one for a Soarer so I went Toyota and I brought the genuine one cost approx $430 for the hole unit)
    • Manual R154 Prop shaft
    • Manual Center console Trim (also got this from Toyota approx $75)
    • Manual Starter Motor

if theyve used the jzx90 box on the JZZ30 i would be thinking based on what ive seen the *a70 one might be ok to use , and that all r154's _might_ have the same shifter position

My Corolla ! - 4AGTE

KP61 - 4AGE

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

There are most definitely two different shifter position for R154, the MA70 type and the JZZ30 etc type that is a remote shifter arrangement.

Cheers
    Wilbo

Quote Originally Posted by Adsport
    hrm i thought about this, but ive seen GZ20's with remote shift boxes..
    I have no idea what a GZ20 has to do with this, but what I do know for certain is the NA JZA80 has a W58 with a remote shifter - therefore you want an R154 with a remote shifter as well (the box itself is nearly the same length). As already said the JZZ30 has an R154 with a remote shifter and also has a JZ bellhousing so that's the one you want.

The gearbox that I'm looking at getting will be without the remote shifter I think, its a conversion kit for a JZA70 supra but going to use it on my aristo.

You can get around the shifter position problem using.. http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744

I'm sure the wiring and stuff is going to be a big issue with the auto. Will want it to think its in D when in gear, if it thinks its in N it will change the ignition timing I heard? And I need it to be in park when the car is out of gear or I won't be able to start it.
    Rides: 2JZGTE Aristo cruising weapon and heavily modified Mazda BFMR thrash weapon.

nop just bridge the neutral start wires together ive done it to a few cars with no problems.

My Corolla ! - 4AGTE

KP61 - 4AGE

Yup, I have an Aristo engine with a manual transmission, no problems at all. Just leave the transmission wiring disconnected (with the exception of the speed sensor) and everything works fine.

So you have the standard aristo ECU and it doesnt throw a fit or anything that there isn't a transmission connected? Sweet! I've heard rumors of the ecu throwing error codes and stuff and not running as well as it should.
    Rides: 2JZGTE Aristo cruising weapon and heavily modified Mazda BFMR thrash weapon.

Yeah I heard those rumours as well, 5 years ago.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Any progress on this?
    What did you do with the E-brake? Handbrake??
    I got a R154 box and il be doing the same soon...!

Hardly a Domestic Engineer Sciflyer's Avatar

Diff ratios shouldnt be a problem as the Aristo is the same diff as the Z30 Soarer and non-6-speed Supra so you'll have access to ratios from 3.26 to 4.08