Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7M tech. Why a 1UZ AFM, 550cc Injectors and SAFC? (in laymans terms)

turbo-a Grease Monkey

Default Re: 7M tech. Why a 1UZ AFM, 550cc Injectors and SAFC? (in laymans terms)

Quote Originally Posted by EldarO
    spaces, commas, full stops, and use of the "enter" key are all overrated apparently?

my eyes have just been raped.

Elmo.
    sorry lol i was overexcited.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Supra-Jim's Avatar

Default Re: 7M tech. Why a 1UZ AFM, 550cc Injectors and SAFC? (in laymans terms)

7mgte + 550ccs + real good CAI + 1uz afm + SAFC = leaning out way to much at 4000-5000rpm.
    Can you elaborate on why this is the case? I thought an SAFC would allow you to overcome this, or do the limited number of points that the SAFC allows you to correct come into play here?
    They call them fingers.... but i've never seen them fing!!!!

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Supra-Jim
    Can you elaborate on why this is the case? I thought an SAFC would allow you to overcome this, or do the limited number of points that the SAFC allows you to correct come into play here?
    I wouldnt have thought so, depending on model of SAFC they tune in 400 - 1000 rpm increments up to 8000rpm. Seems a bit weird....
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Supra-Jim's Avatar

Yeah thats what i thought, but then why would this setup then cause the engine to lean out after 4-5000rpm?
    They call them fingers.... but i've never seen them fing!!!!

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

Bad tuning? Blocked injectors? Cant think of another reason
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

JZA80 Convert Backyard Mechanic

That's what I'd expect as well, definately sound like there is/was a problem somewhere!

Ryley, did you get the injectors flow tested before they were put in to make sure they were flowing 550cc? Any ideas on what injector duty cycle was when it was leaning out?

The Bling Garage Mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Wildsupra's Avatar

Heres a quick question, i just fitted a lexus AFM to my 7M and wallah no more boost, im only running about 10-12psi, but i was wondering if you think it may run lean from from simply adding it, even though im not running high boost yet.

As in would it run lean through the entire boost range starting at 1 psi or only if i start running high boost. I'd hit the dyno but dont have time before the cruise tonight.

Cheers
    Matty

Junior Member Grease Monkey Bored?'s Avatar

Yes, if you add a larger AFM but don't change the injectors or re-tune with an SAFC it will run lean.

It can run lean regardless of the boost pressure - even when you're in vacuum - this is an air flow meter after all. Probably the only thing that's keeping your engine alive right now is the overly rich MAP in the factory ECU.

Sadistically Perverse Chief Engine Builder Disturbed1's Avatar

lexus afm, safc and 550 cc injectors good for 450 rwhp at 18 psi in the way of electronics