Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gearbox options for engine conversion

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default gearbox options for engine conversion

Hi all

Just new to the scene and have seen some pretty mad conversions out there. Keep up the good work guys.

Anyway i have a 1990 2wd hilux that i got about 6 months back and has been modded just cosmetically and the interior has been done. all in all it is very clean but just has the 22R still in it with fuel injection mod. The 22r has just become fingered so i am about to embark on a conversion.

Although there are alot of inspirations out there with some nice 1JZ, 2JZ, 1UZ, 1G etc conversions, my ute is only a little run around with a bit of pride in it so i'm not after heaps of hp, just an easy upgrade to carry my bike to the track. so i have decided to go for the boring budget V6 commodore conversion because the motors are cheap and found everywhere.

so my first question is gearbox options. i have the 5 speed in it already and want to keep it manual. so would it be easier and cheaper to get a bell housing to bolt v6 to the existing box then only have to purchase motor only and mount it. Or try and get a v6 with the T5 on it and fit that in? I know that the 5sp v6 are alot rarer than the autos so cost twice as much. I think that if i have a perfectly fine box already in it then why not utilise it.

I'm planning on doing all the work myself and have a strong electrical background for the electrics. so if you guys could just give your thoughts on my options and any tips from experiences

cheerz

Awesome ****** Domestic Engineer Javal's Avatar

Default Re: gearbox options for engine conversion

Edited, but im too disabled to delete it.
    Last edited by Javal; 14-04-2007 at 08:39 PM.

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

The cheapest way to convert a V6 Commodore (3800 buick) to manual is with a celica (W50) or supra (W58) box, with the very common dellow bellhousings.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

thanks for that screamn sleeka, i will look into those boxes. i take it that the manual already in it is completely different to these boxes!

You might have a W55 (same as W58 but different ratio's), its written in on your compliance plate next to "TRANS". If its W5 then followed by another number your sweet, if not, bolt in a W5(something) up to your 22R, then take the 22R out and bold the engine to the new box with dellow bellhousing, and fab the mounts.

Im trying to think of a better engine to use, JZ or M series at inline 6cyl which are too long (even if they fit they will stuff up the weight distro), G series, same problem and its guttless unless u make it go bang, 4cyls are jokes, UZ has no torque...

In order of wat id do: LS1 > Landcruiser motor > 3800
    LS1 or landy arnt really worth it.
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

dont know hhow u can say a comm v6 is cheap

say u pay 500 for a v6 complete

well for an extra grand u can get a 1gg or a 1uz

the rest willcost similar no matter what engine u use

most on here hate the ls1 but these days they are a good engine

if ls1s are classed as bad then toyota engines can be classed as bad too i think

they do have old technology but i guess with the power they are gettin then they still work ok and these days the std ecus have soooooo many tuning capabilities not like the non tunable toyota ecus heheheheheeheh

ive been told if u want to see how yr hilux goes with a v6 then

borrow a comm v6 put a trailer on the back and road test it

thats bout how its goin to go

a 1uz is ok but if u spend bit more money get a manual behind the 1uz and it will feel so much better

i see diff cars every day and have done heaps of wiring on v6s into hiluxs and they have yet to impress me

and if u buy a v6 from vr or vs onwards then u have to remove security on the ecu

so if u want ot save money u get a vn or vp v6 which these days usually have over 200 thou kms

what is yr budget

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Screamn_Sleeka
    Im trying to think of a better engine to use, JZ or M series at inline 6cyl which are too long (even if they fit they will stuff up the weight distro), G series, same problem and its guttless unless u make it go bang, 4cyls are jokes, UZ has no torque...

In order of wat id do: LS1 > Landcruiser motor > 3800
    You say JZ series engines are too long then say a Landcruiser engine is desirable? Have you ever SEEN a cruiser engine??

As for the 1UZ having no torque, bollocks.

Back on topic, the T5 is a pile of crap and the transmission you have is far superior. Get a Dellows/CRS gearbox conversion kit and you'll be cheering.

trust me if funds were no issue then i would go for a 1JZ or 1uz and even turbo it. but as i commented in my original post, she is just a run around and the 22R has shit itself so i just want something with a little bit more power. i even looked into just getting replacement 22r and the wreckers want over a grand for them so they can get fingered. i was just thinking that the v6 with my existing box and a bellhousing would be the easiest way out. i'm not after a hp hero just an improvement on the 22R. i heard that so many of these conversions have been done so that it mustn't be that expensive. all up i'm looking at about 3grand if not cheaper with me doing the work.

thanks for your feedback guys, keep it coming

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    You say JZ series engines are too long then say a Landcruiser engine is desirable? Have you ever SEEN a cruiser engine??

As for the 1UZ having no torque, bollocks.

Back on topic, the T5 is a pile of crap and the transmission you have is far superior. Get a Dellows/CRS gearbox conversion kit and you'll be cheering.
    I was referring to the UZ landcruiser engine, cant remember its real name or the real car name, but it might be a 3UZ, anyway longer stroke which gives it some torque.

1UZ is a small v8, it has no torque because it has a VERY short stroke, and torque is a function of stroke length.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Screamn_Sleeka
    torque is a function of stroke length.
    This is an old wives tale; torque is a function of bore AND stroke. Anyway I wouldn't call 82mm a "VERY short stroke".

The natural home of a 1UZ is big heavy sedans, upwards of 1800kg, so the fact they move along pretty well is proof they have a good deal of torque.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

As above, torque is a function of capacity (ie, bore and stroke).
    Longer strokes generally have lower down torque, shorter strokes generally have higher end torque. Of course its also a function of intake length (longer=lower), and cam profile, but thats a side point.

1UZ has plenty of low torque. Sure, its not stump pulling idle torque like a Chev, but how often are you below 2000rpm?
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

from the feedback it looks like the v6 with a bellhousing and existing box is the better option. I read in a post that the speed sensor on the commodore gear boxes has to go to the ecu as well or it will run like shit! how do you get around this with a different OEM box with no speed sensor? is it an ecu or wiring loom mod?

auto boxes on vr onwards need speed signal to ecu from gbox

so u will need an elect speedo

u can get elect to mechanical adapter but its over 1000 for parts and labour to get old mech speedo to work
    waste of money i think

older holden autos u just get a cable speedo drive and get cable modified to suit

if u go manual then its easy just get pass thru adapter so u get elct signal to ecu and cable will still work

i sel lthem
    efi holdens tend to stall with no spd signal to ecu when u are slowing down

i think 1uz in auto form are ok but not exciting

i recon a std v6 comm will go better up to 60 kms

if u have the money put a manual behind the 1uz

or manually shift the auto

stupid auto ecu changes gears to early

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow
    if u go manual then its easy just get pass thru adapter so u get elct signal to ecu and cable will still work

i sel lthem
    efi holdens tend to stall with no spd signal to ecu when u are slowing down
    Thanks heaps for that sideshow. have had a look at your site as well, good work mate. can you just clarify the pass through adapter. is this for a v6 with the holden t5 behind it to adapt it to the cable speedo? i want to get a v6 and bolt it to the box that i already have with a marks/crs bellhousing and i'm pretty sure that the box has no electrical connections other than reverse switch? how do i get around this?

also it looks like i might be getting my hands a vt v6, what is the process of getting the security removed?

thanks for your help mate
    cheers

with the box u alraedy have is easy if its a toyota manual gbox
    i have the sensors in stock which will screw onto a toyota speedo drive and suit the comm ecu

this sensor screws onto the speedo drive and then cable scews onto this sensor

then u wire the sensor up

i use heaps of them on 1uz conversions

u need to get the ecu sent away and get the chip reprogrammed

afi in granville have exchange chips last one was around 340 or 350 mark