Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Made my clutch hydraulic... It doesnt work, c last post

the hybrid Backyard Mechanic Fish's Avatar

Default Re: Can u help me make my clutch Hydraulic...KE55

TRAV-KE55 can help you but he is in darwin somewhere

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Converting to hydro clutch on any KE30-KE55 is easy.

Get an AE86, AE71 or TA22 master cylinder (there are probably others that are the same) - they all bolt up exactly the same. Brand new it should be less than $40, don't waste your time with second hand crap as it'll probably end up leaking.

Locate the position on the firewall (engine bay side) where the master cylinder will be positioned. The upper stud for mounting the master cylinder is already there so you'll only need to drill a hole for the lower stud and to make an opening for the master cylinder push-rod (this method means that you won't need to remove or mod the pedal box).

It will become clear that it won't line up with your clutch pedal once you try and fit it. Either modify the existing clutch pedal to get it to line up and the drill a hole for the clevis pin or get a TA22 clutch pedal and use that (still needs mods but they are easily done with basic tools). It will need to be shortened about 25mm in length though to be the same length as your exisisting brake pedal.

I never had to remove the pedal box to do this conversion, just the clutch pedal itself. The clutch pedals have a tube on which they pivot with bushes inside the tube. It's easy to cut the tube and move the section you cut to the other side in order to align the pedal with the master cylinder.

This setup has been fine for over 10 years and is currently dealing with a 2900lb pressure plated clutch From the outside it all looks factory, from under the dash the only give away it's not factory is the small bead of weld on the tube (pivot point) where it was cut and moved for perfect alignment with the master cylinder.

Sounds like there are more than a few ways to skin a cat though judging by the methods others have used. Just don't make it a more complicated process than it need be
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeDiC
    ....... take your original ke55 pedal box to mr enforcer and pay him......
    My experience with Mr Enforcer would suggest taking your project any where else would be a better option!

200kw atw swapper Backyard Mechanic TIMTAMS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Youngy
    My experience with Mr Enforcer would suggest taking your project any where else would be a better option!

HAHA i agree
    KE55 3TGTE 234rwkw 11.7 @ 119mph
    Suzuki B-King 10.2 @ 135mph
    FPV GT daily SC 5L 390rwkw 11.9 @ 121mph

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice muv12a's Avatar

I used a #E2# manual pedal box ( mine used to be auto - go the TOYOGLIDE!! ) and mounted a Mazda RX7 master to the firewall. Im also using a Mazda RX7 slave on a W55 Supra box although I had to source an adjustable pushrod for this to work right.
    Sorry cant be more detailed about the conversion - it was done nearly 10 years ago but still holding up fine!
    One thing though - I welded metal plates on either side of the firewall to eleviate firewall flex...

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

I did mine a few years ago, can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I used the standard pedal etc. and a TA22 cylinder. I made the hole by punching it from the inside out, and attacking it with the die grinder, drilled a hole in the pedal, and the rest was pretty simple. Actually, thinking about it, I may have used the TA22 pedal, I can't remember.

ok pedal box all done nicely, The master is a TA22 item, The slave is a w55 item out of a supra, Now the slave hardly moves when the clutch is pushed all the way in???? Is the slave too big (13/16) for the master (5/8)? So basicly of you push the pedal to the floor the slave only moves 5mm not 35mm!!!! Please help

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Default Re: Made my clutch hydraulic... It doesnt work, c last post

You can make up different sized push rods but im thinking thats not your problem.

Did you bleed it fully and get all the air out?

With those sizes thats exactly what the ra65 celica uses. They also use the w58 gearbox so the sizing should be fine. Maybe you need to adjust your clutch pedal to get maximum travel.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzo
    You can make up different sized push rods but im thinking thats not your problem.

Did you bleed it fully and get all the air out?

With those sizes thats exactly what the ra65 celica uses. They also use the w58 gearbox so the sizing should be fine. Maybe you need to adjust your clutch pedal to get maximum travel.

I actually checked with "Brake pro" and they said it is spot on, the different sizes are there for the PEDAL PRESSURE... Apparently

CUZZO you just missed it yesterday he started it when i was inside straight after you left it sounds awesome with open dump pipe!!!! Just needs a tune now...will post vid of startup

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Sweet. I bet shes loud...
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Oh yeah sounds tops though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5w7gW11L7I