200kw atw swapper Backyard Mechanic TIMTAMS's Avatar

Default Made my clutch hydraulic... It doesnt work, c last post

How who when

Has anyone done this... how easy is it?

Can i get details...

Need it for w55 box into a ke55 behind a 3tgte

Thanku

Grim
    Last edited by TIMTAMS; 14-02-2008 at 12:01 AM.
    KE55 3TGTE 234rwkw 11.7 @ 119mph
    Suzuki B-King 10.2 @ 135mph
    FPV GT daily SC 5L 390rwkw 11.9 @ 121mph

Default Re: Can u help me make my clutch Hydraulic...KE55

Anyone help please?

Need to know which Master to use mainly the rest is obvious...

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

well a lot of people have but 4age 's in them with t-50. so its been done before.

i would recommend using an ae86 or ae71 pedal box, or adapting the clutch pedal on to your existing box.

then you need to measure the spot on the firewall and use a hole saw to make the cut. ive seen it in a members ride thread im pretty sure....its here somewhere
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

Thanks bro ill search again... :-)

Time to spank the Grease Monkey

Hey, for my KE30 and the TE35 prior to that, I used an auto pedal box out of #E3# or #E5# Corollas. There is already a mounting spot for an early toyota clutch master cylinder on the pedal box, you may just have to drill out one of the bolts that is welded in, and probably drill a few holes in the firewall too, it is just below and to the passenger's side of the KE's mount for the clutch cable, and once you look at it it's fairly obvious. Remember that there were TE3#s and TE5#s, all having the hydraulic set up.
    Then get a pedal box out of a TE72, take the clutch pedal out and then remove the bracket (I guess) from the side of the TE72 pedal box, and get it welded onto the auto #E3# pedal box, making sure that (a) the clutch pedal was sitting level with the brake pedal, and (b) the clutch master cylinder was more or less in line. Then drill through the hole of the bracket where you put the bolt for the clutch in, and into the auto pedal box, so you can bolt your new clutch pedal in.
    The only other thing I had to do was machine the head off a bolt in order to make a longer version of the original pushrod for the master cylinder. Otherwise you hit the floor before the pressure plate moves...
    I think that is all I did, did it a while ago, but I could probably take some photos or something if you need more help (dash is out of the KE30 at the moment)
    Cheers,
    Jon.
    PS, I did originally use a modified manual pedal box, with original KE cluch pedal with a 8mm pin welded on, but never worked well and ended up with clutch fluid dripping on my feet while driving...
    AE92 Lueno GT-Apex (zenki Trueno with a Levin front end) - BT 20V & LSD
    KE30 Tudor - 2T-GEU, T50, T292

Thanks heaps, well mine is currently auto so i have that pedal box.

If u could take a few pics that would be great.

Thanks again.

+rep 4 u

I'll try to get some pics over the weekend (the car is at my parent's house). From both the driver's seat and the engine bay, it looks factory, and feels factory too. From memory the reason why I used the T-18's was the pedal looked the same as the KE's. I imagine if you looked at a number of Toyotas around that period of mid 70s to early 80s you would find something that would work out.
    If your car is auto, I'm pretty sure a W55 gearstick will pop up through the hole no probs. What are you doing for a diff? If you were going with a T series, I recommend an RT104 corona diff with the mounts moved in a little, and use U bolts and those plates between the axle and leaves from the corona. Rear tread will increase by about an inch or so which I found improved the handling, without scrubbing the tyres, and bigger drums are a plus. You'll probably need a new tailshaft no matter what diff you use, get one made using Holden's 17R uni joints (if they can handle a 5 litre, I'm sure they'll handle whatever you are planning).
    Good luck!

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

You can also use ae71 Clutch Master cylinders. As thats what im using.

With the manual pedal box it still has the studs and the hole on the pedal box for a master cylinder. Actually the studs on the ke55 manual pedal box are longer than the ones on a ke30 pedal box. Which is needed when adding a master cylinder. You will need to drill out with around 30mm metal hole saw to let the master rod and seal to poke into the cabin. This will all become obvious when you have things in your hand. Make sure you drill a couple of mm bigger than the master cause its a bitch of a job doing it later with motor in. (trust me i know--read tool)

The pedal is the hardest part. If you poke the push rod through when you have the manual pedal box in there you will see it sits on the side of the pedal not in the middle. You may need to do some cutting out of the pedal box to.. to allow for the push rod to move back and forwards without binding.

Sorry i cant help you with modifiying the pedal because i bought it already done. Apparently a celica one was used but was also lengthend(or shorternd). Maybe you can find a pedal box that was already working in a ke30/55 with the hydro (not weed) setup.

It just takes time. And i put the pedal box in and out about 3 times to get it all working properly. Also you dont need to remove all your dash to undo the pedal box. I pulled out the dash cluster and used a few long extensions to undo the bolts up the top.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Cheers guys, i'm going to start attacking it today i will post pics and blog the whole thing for future.

Thanks again

Here's the pictures.
    First two are where the master cylinder fits in the engine bay, the third is the pedal box, and the fourth is how the pedals ended up sitting. The third picture is probably the most useful - this is with the T-18 clutch pedal, the T-18's bracket welded onto the auto KE30's pedal and the pivot point moved up about two centimetres. Notice how the pushrod into the master cylinder is fairly straight.
    Good luck!

Thanks so much bro u have been invaluble, i appreciate u taking the time to get the photo's.

Cheers Graeme

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

i am sure someone has used the stocker KE30 clutch pedal and just drilled hole for pushrod in the appropriate position. can't confirm what was done to firewall to accomodate tho.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

KE25 legendary Backyard Mechanic Robbo's Avatar

i actually have a pedal box inmy shed....for a *E3* series corolla
    my dad engineered it years ago when i was modifying a KE38 wagon...i was going to fit a 3T and 5speed...but never got around to it...
    i ended up fitting a 5K,T50 from a TA22,with "K" series bellhousing(still using the cable clutch) ,T18 clutch,KM20 4K flywheel had a larger clutch face than the standard 4k,and was a bit heavier...this combo worked extremely well...ended up being alittle torque monster!...even blew away an old HQ with 308 lol
    those borgwarner diff's couldnt hold up in the end...blew 4 in 3 weeks...lol
    \anyway i still have the pedal box...with clutch master bolted to it...if you want it..let me know via pm and i'll take some pics for ya
    !!! BAN LOW PERFORMANCE DRIVERS NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS !!!

私のトヨタはある従って速い均一死んだ人叫ぶ!

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

my brother done this to his ke30 corolla.

Basically, buy yourself a 1985 mazda rx7 master, take your original ke55 pedal box to mr enforcer and pay him 170. so with the master total will be 210.

The rx7 master bolts up to the two bolts in the engine bay, all that you will have to do is drill the hole in the firewall where the push rod will go through. I'll try and get some pics up of his car.

cheers