Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1JZ vs 7M alternator useful info and pics

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Ribfeast's Avatar

Default 1JZ vs 7M alternator useful info and pics

I have compared a 7M and 1JZ alternator for interests sake. The plugs on the back are the same! I reckon if you put a spacer on the 7M alternator (or some washers), you could quite easily bolt it to a 1JZ.

Note the difference in thickness in the mounting bracket on one side...washers here would probably allow it to fit:

The 1JZ alternator is the one with the green sticker and is on the left in all photos. I think the 1JZ and 2JZ share the same alternator also. I've never been able to find an aftermarket 1JZ alternator in Aus, so retrofitting a 7M one might be the go if it definitely fits.

Has anyone done this to confirm if it works?
    1989 Toyota Cressida GLX 1JZGTE twin turbo *SOLD*
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2847
    12.36 @ 111mph on eBay "China" CT12A steelies
    244rwkw / 328hp @ 18psi

Toymods Club Member Domestic Engineer Danners's Avatar

Default Re: 1JZ vs 7M alternator useful info and pics

Good info! Can't give you rep again just yet

My alternator is chundered (inspected it tonight) the shaft running through the middle that makes contact with the brushes has chipped, and the copper that used to be there has been rubbing against the brushes for goodness knows how long!

I don't know if i'm going to be able to get that shaft through the middle replaced though
    Dan

I have two dead 1JZ alternators here that I think just need good regulators fitted to them, you are welcome to have them and try to make a good one out of them if you want
    I think one of the shafts on mine is stuffed too, but only because I stupidly clamped a vice on the thing. The other should be OK.

One thing I didn't mention in the original post above, is that the 7M alternator has a 5 rib pulley, 1JZ has 6. So just swap the pulleys over (you will probably need a rattle gun to get it off).
    244rwkw / 328hp @ 18psi

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

I have a spare working 1jz alternator, if you're interested?
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Just chiming in here to say that JZ alternators also come with a 3pin flat (not round) plug

JZZ30 = round
    JZS147 = flat
    others = ??

Cheers
    Wilbo

Hmm my pics are of a JZX81 Chaser 1JZ alternator...perhaps the newer 1JZs used a different design? Does anyone have pics of some other 7M alternators, maybe MZ21 etc?
    In any case it wouldn't be too hard to use some spade terminals instead of a 3 pin plug
    244rwkw / 328hp @ 18psi

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wilbo666
    JZZ30 = round
    JZS147 = flat
    others = ??
    Actually my JZS147 alternator has a 3-pin round plug, which conveniently is identical to the MA61 plug.

Cheers guys

I took my alternator into an auto elec this morning and he knew the style. He started talking about "slip rings" that the brushes sit on.... mine doesn't appear to have that at all. I'm assuming that the gunk that I pulled out of it lastnight whilst cleaning it was the mashed up goopy remnants of this slip ring and that a new one will hopefully fix my issues!

If not i'll send you a PM Braden. If i can't make a good one out of bits and pieces i'll give you a yell Draven. How much are you after for your working one?
    Dan

BTW, while searching lastnight I came across this:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...1jz+alternator

Not sure how applicable it is in Australia as I haven't done any looking around for the Lexus part. The bonus of using this alternator is that its 110 amp.
    Dan

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Actually my JZS147 alternator has a 3-pin round plug, which conveniently is identical to the MA61 plug.
    Well cool eh

Yeah on the EPC there are I think 3 different part number for 2JZ alts, in fact I somewhat dated my 2jz based on the alt the starter and ECU...

Cheers
    Wilbo

Modify is my middle name Grease Monkey Darola's Avatar

Hey there all... I brought a brand new alternator for just over $300 in sydney

it was for the 1j motor and has the 3 pin oval plug not the 3 pin circle plug, but there is a adapter plug to convert or you can cut and change if u like.....

you can get parts to rebulid the 1j alternator except the 1part thats not available... so depends whats wrong with the alternator you can get them fixed

just my 2cents

Eddie

i
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Eddie 0433 85 69 66

$130 later and my alternator has a new slip ring, and a set of brushes and is good to go! I managed to find a 2nd hand one for $50 bucks that i'll keep as a spare too. Thanks for the info fellas!
    Dan

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

Good info

Can anyone tell me what each of the 3 pins goes to though?
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

Hung like planet Pluto... Backyard Mechanic Rcubed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_2jza70
    Good info

3 pin round plug with 2 vertical pins beside each other above a horizontal pin in a "U" arrangement.
    looking at the plug w/ clip at bottom. alternator plug
    top left is Ign [IG - Black/Yellow wire] +12V on Ign
    top right is CHG light [L - yellow/white wire] must have load or WILL NOT charge
    bottom horizontal pin is Voltage sense [S -white wire] +12V from battery via charging system.
    Wires [from above] white wire is below

the large post marked B+ connects direct to battery

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ribfeast
    I have compared a 7M and 1JZ alternator for interests sake. The plugs on the back are the same!<snip>
    I've never been able to find an aftermarket 1JZ alternator in Aus, so retrofitting a 7M one might be the go if it definitely fits.
    Has anyone done this to confirm if it works?
    There's little reason for it not to work as long as the pulleys line up and it spins at roughly the same speed. Electrically an alternator is an alternator. The JZ unit is a fair bit larger, capable of supplying more current than the 7M one, but in the case of an engine swap generally the extra current capacity is not needed.
    It doesn't matter what kind of plug it is, because the terminals have the same function, and the locations of the terminals don't really matter either as long as they don't run into something important (like the block). I used a 7M-GE alternator on a 4A-GE, just had to readjust the position of the cabling.

As another bit of trivia, instead of repairing an alternator on his death-sentenced hilux engine, Linden picked up any random alternator lying around in his workshop and made a mounting bracket for it

Quote Originally Posted by ta23-mbzq-nnr
    top right is CHG light [L - yellow/white wire] must have load or WILL NOT charge
    Oh? I haven't found that... so you're saying that removing that wire will cause the alternator to stop running?
    I've definitely had alts running (charging) without the light being hooked up so could you shed some light on your claim?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_2jza70
    Most unadulterated alternators should have a label with the pinout and pin designation on them.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbo666
    Yeah on the EPC there are I think 3 different part number for 2JZ alts, in fact I somewhat dated my 2jz based on the alt the starter and ECU...
    Mine had the flat plug, and the engine itself differed in many ways compared to Norbie's.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)