Thread: smoke and water

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default smoke and water

hey,

decided to keep my ta22 and hopefully get it up to scratch. im a bit of a newb and only 16 so please forgive me.

first problem is my 18rg which i just found out is an 18rgeu with 42dcoe weber's on it firstly how could this be as i havnt been able to contact the previous owner as yet to discuss??

and second the exhaust seems to blow some medium dark Grey out of the exhaust on start up and less on idle and sometimes after a few minutes of idling it'll become worse with more smoke and then lessen and then come back... what could the problem be?

thirdly the exhaust blows out water only small drops when idling but when giving it some stig its like the niagra falls it blows out a huge mist of water. what could this problem be and what also causes the water to come out of exhausts and where is it from?

and last but not least: the weber's keep on popping when i rev a little bit and after driving for a while the engine like lags a staggers like its jerking and this doesn't stop and less u give it a lot more revs or change down a gear. it only gets worse after driving it for longer. is this just tuning problems or somehting much worse?

thanks a lot people, your help would be much appreciated and will go along way.

thanks again

Jai

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jezza323's Avatar

Default Re: smoke and water

how much coolant you got in the radiator?
    EP91 Toyota Starlet - AUStarletClub

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hash_ra23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAIFRESH

first problem is my 18rg which i just found out is an 18rgeu with 42dcoe weber's on it firstly how could this be as i havnt been able to contact the previous owner as yet to discuss??
    some ppl swap out the efi setup for the carby's.

sounds like its running rich and the carbys could do with a rebuild.

how do i tune them is there some sort of guide somewhere ive looked a bit but cant really find anything. also how much would it cost to rebuild them and can i do it myself im pretty mechanically minded and im an apprentice panel beater so i know a bit?? also would a radiator flush help at all?

thanks guys

Jai

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

find the details for a 2ltr motor, they are all the same. "tuning" carbys is replacing jets and tubes, not playing with screw drivers as most people think.

For specifics, look up ford 2.0ltr pinto's, you can only hope to get something like the power they make.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

am i better off taking it to someone? and about how much do you think itll cost?

thanks

jai

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Unless you got the manual for tuning those carbs you may be better off taking it to someone to rebuild and retune them. Make sure it's to someone or a company that knows how to do carbs - there's not too many around that are learned in the carbs and won't do a real top job.

But, that's not going to be cheap, so you may invest in a rebuild kit for the carbs and attempt it yourself. Maybe Rodger (on these forums) can enlighten you on these carbs, and offer some assistance with his wise words.

Cost? Well, to get a full Solex rebuild/tuned (to perfection), and the 18R-G fully tuned is around $750. So, not cheap, but afterwards you'll think you've got a new engine under the hood.

I am concerned about the water coming out of the exhaust pipe.

Does it do this when she's warmed up properly?

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Water is pretty common on older engines with old exhausts, its condensation in the exhaust... Unless you are losing water from your radiator and cant find a leak, then its really a worry. River is right, make sure you find somebody who knows these engines. Screamin Sleeka didnt really give you the right direction on tuning Im afraid, as each engine is different to the size of jets etc it needs, dependant on the cam profiles, valve sizes, compression and a large number of other factors.

Also, if the carbs are already jetted correctly (ie stock carbs, stock motor), then tuning is turning screws, but in your case, 42 DCOE webbers didnt come on 18RGs, so yeah, it will be a case of taking River's advice and getting an old hand to do the work. This will require some word of mouth to find out who is dodgy and who isnt. Changing jet sizes isnt a good thing for a first timer to do, and rebuilding a pair of carbs can get confusing (plus jets are quite hard to undo without damage), so be careful if you do decide to do the reco yourself. Also, a pro will bead blast them and clean all the built up crap out.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer crowncustom's Avatar

If your loosing coolant as well its quite possible that it has a blown headgasket,but as what has been stated older engines do build up a bit of condensation in the exhaust plus it sounds like your carbs are out of tune also.First things first would be do a compression test on it or even take the plugs out and the coil lead off and wind the motor over to see if you have any water emitting out of the plug holes.I had one do a headgasket which had blown between a water jacket and number 4 piston and it was blowing water out the exhaust under load and out number 4 plug hole when the plugs were taken out.
    Cheers Brett.

advocate for the oldies Carport Converter ian's Avatar

hey,

decided to keep my ta22 and hopefully get it up to scratch. im a bit of a newb and only 16 so please forgive me.

and second the exhaust seems to blow some medium dark Grey out of the exhaust on start up and less on idle and sometimes after a few minutes of idling it'll become worse with more smoke and then lessen and then come back... what could the problem be?

thirdly the exhaust blows out water only small drops when idling but when giving it some stig its like the niagra falls it blows out a huge mist of water. what could this problem be and what also causes the water to come out of exhausts and where is it from?

and last but not least: the weber's keep on popping when i rev a little bit and after driving for a while the engine like lags a staggers like its jerking and this doesn't stop and less u give it a lot more revs or change down a gear. it only gets worse after driving it for longer. is this just tuning problems or somehting much worse?

thanks a lot people, your help would be much appreciated and will go along way.

thanks again

Jai
    hi jai
    firstly
    welcome and what area do you live in
    if you get in touch with joey [ forum member ] he can advise you as to the guys
    NOT to go to
    are you 100% sure that they are webers
    check your radiator when the motor is at idle carefully take of the radiator cap and see if there is any bubbles in the coolant
    ian
    nostalgia is not what it used to be:

also look for a milky substance in either the radiator or sump. I still doubt that its a BHG... it isnt a 7M after all (for those who dont know 7Ms had a poor head bolt torque which leads to constant Blown Head Gaskets)

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Im still just a......... Backyard Mechanic NoRecall's Avatar

the exhaust seems to blow some medium dark Grey out of the exhaust on start up and less on idle and sometimes after a few minutes of idling it'll become worse with more smoke and then lessen and then come back... what could the problem be?
    This sounds like valve stem seals and its to be expected with older motors. Well the 20 year old 5M-GE in my cressida dose (it's done 320 000 odd km's) but its my daily and i need it for work. You can get the Head reconditioned at a Machineist shop they will replace them.
    All i have done as a tempory fix is ran some Stop-Smoke through it which did wonders for a while but it wil start to do it again.

And a safe bet (without looking) for the water beeds in your exhaust is condensation, unless its flowing like a river which could mean alsorts of nasty things....
    Oh, Is the engine missing at all?
    From Tassie?
    Join Up with ToyoTas Now - http://toyotas.proboards.com/ - The First Toyota Car Club in Tas

yeah it seems like it misses sometimes not really sure it could just be the tractor sounds lol. but the carbs tend to pop and bang sometimes when u let off the gas.

im in camberwell, are you the ian from 1d4 in Richmond?

ill have to think about getting it done somewhere good does anyone know of a place?

ill check it out guys thanks so much for all your help.

Jai

for the carbs popping, you could have an intake air leak (take the carbs off, put them back on with new gaskets which you can make from gasket paper, and seal with Permatex No. 2 comes in a bottle with a brush in the lid). Hope its not fatal.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen