Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker install help... how to guide?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice Jimmy's Avatar

Default Speaker install help... how to guide?

Hey i've done searches on the forums and google and haven't turned up anything that has been particularly helpful. I guess it's probably a simple job for most people on here but i could do with some help.

Basically I just (finally) got a deck and some splits (including crossovers) for my RA28 and I'm sort of at a loss with mounting the stuff.

I'm capable with a soldering iron and stripping wires etc but the mounting has me worried. I have no idea where I should put the crossovers without them looking tacky and ugly and since there was never any woofers in the doors im worried i cant install straight into the door without fouling with the window. So i thought about pods but will pods rattle and produce ghey sound? any recommendation for tweeter placement would be great too.

I know I could go pay to have this stuff installed but i'd rather learn how to do it for myself and give it a good crack.

Any help would be appreciated.

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

Default Re: Speaker install help... how to guide?

yeah theres no room in old celica doors for speakers....you can hack into the metal and cut a hole (like mine....... ) but would not recomend it.....

you can get decent door pods from most places....JB hifi, strathfield....they wont sound bad or ghey.....as long as you mount them nice and tight!....

by using pods you should only have to drill into the doors....4 little unnoticeable holes if you decide to remove them......

maybe try putting the crossovers under the dash, and put the tweaters behind the fan vents on either side of the car, and run the wire through the vents (will need to make a sall hole in the vent to run the wires,)

my suggestion is just put a nice pair of speakers in the rear parcel shelf 6" speakers will fit where there are factory cut outs in the shelf....

and maybe get yourself a sub and amp for the bass......

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

search this site

got to www.BCAE1.com

stick your crossovers up under the dash, thats where i put mine (drivers in the doors, tweeters on brackets in the middle of where the shitty old speakers were)
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

theres a pic of my molested door trims and doors....

just realised you have a 28, so you wont have a rear parcel shelf.....you could always mount the speakers in the rear seat side trims....in pods....

i originally had VS commodore speaker pods on my doors....with the speakers mounted on them....but they were too large and interupted my feet in the footwell....so got rid of them....

oh yeah, this seems simple after you have seen a car with it wrong, but make sure your window winder wont hit your speaker/pod
    www.vicdrift.com

formerly shinybluesteel

Quote Originally Posted by shinybluesteel
    search this site

got to www.BCAE1.com

stick your crossovers up under the dash, thats where i put mine (drivers in the doors, tweeters on brackets in the middle of where the shitty old speakers were)
    i was told specifically not to put my driver side crossover inside the door. something about danger of water damage, particularly in old cars? would it be difficult to have both under passenger side of dash?

the rear speakers i have sorted that was an easy job since the car had speakers there already:

Thanks for the help so far guys +rep

just put it in under the drivers side of the dash, i juzt ziptied mine to some bundles of wiring somewhere, just stuff em in.
    www.vicdrift.com

formerly shinybluesteel

Domestic Godess, NOT Domestic Engineer clubagreenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IN 05 NT

theres a pic of my molested CAR
    Fixed
    Friends

ed_jza80 has not made any friends yet

Long Time Reader Backyard Mechanic willwal98's Avatar

I put my crossovers behind the kicks, loads of room there. And I hacked the doors and made some fiberglass pods.
    Hello.

ah ok. what about the risk of water damage? or are the kick sections sealed? ive had zero experience with fiberglass so i think ill just buy some fiberglass pods i saw at Albert's for $50 and avoid hacking the doors.

Long Time Reader Backyard Mechanic willwal98's Avatar

i've never had an issue with water. If your windscreen leaks it may be a different story. Even with pods I still needed to hack the doors. Damn hertz hsk1600's and their huge magnets.
    Hello.

Domestic Godess, NOT Domestic Engineer clubagreenie's Avatar

Here's a useful post, round takeaway containers with about 90deg cut out of it and with the cutout to the bottom for drainage make great covers for door speakers to stop drips through the window slot.

Cross overs should be as close as practical to the speakers, given that you are placing one in the door and one in the dash kicks are ideal.

Try bluetacking the tweeter in different locations, even different on each sides to get the best sound. having it too far away from the woofer/mid may separate the levels and localise the different frequencies from each.
    Friends

ed_jza80 has not made any friends yet

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I just installed a new stereo into my ta63 and had the same prob of where to put the splits, i ended up just stuffing them behing the dash and cable tying them to what ever was under there. As for front woofers i just made a couple of pods with MDF and braced it real well to the door. Moral of the story put stuff where it fits and make sure it is braced nice and tight.

Forum Member

Cable tie the crossovers under the dash, spray some silicone spray onto the back on the speaker, and pop em in a fibreglass door pod from strathefields or alberts whatever, make sure you really tape up the wiring properly
    my2c

Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wife Carport Converter hamgatan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diz44zy
    I just installed a new stereo into my ta63 and had the same prob of where to put the splits, i ended up just stuffing them behing the dash and cable tying them to what ever was under there. As for front woofers i just made a couple of pods with MDF and braced it real well to the door. Moral of the story put stuff where it fits and make sure it is braced nice and tight.
    i actually managed to fit 6x9"s in the front believe it or not in my MA61 which obviously is the same door frame.. mind you... i had to get my jigsaw and cut a LARGE portion of the metal behind the door trim out. however no intrusion bar or anything behind it so it was all good.
    B7 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin' My Pimp Hand Strong
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and Unmolested!
    JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + LSD | Black Knight Still being Assembled
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V 1JZ-GTE + A340E | 270rwhp
    Z20Soarer.Org - The definitive resource for all xZ20 Owners.