Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bigport 4age dizzy vs 4agze dizzy and wolf3d

Junior Member Carport Converter DaveW's Avatar

Default bigport 4age dizzy vs 4agze dizzy and wolf3d

hey guys,

ive just bought a wolf3d ver4 thats been previously used on a 4agze. now the previous owner had the dizzy converted to CAS from my understanding... its had all of the bottom teeth removed leaving only 4, and a CAS fitted. now i want to run the wolf on my bigport 16v 4age. my question is to run this dizzy can i simply fit it like i would the old dizzy and run gze coils and ignitors? the wolf also came with a 4agze ignitor/coil for the distributor... so do i simply run the converted dizzy with the ignitor/coil like it was just a normal dizzy.

if thats the case can i simply run my bigport dizzy and coil/ignitor instead of the converted gze item?

hope this makes sense....

Dave
    Last edited by DaveW; 24-03-2007 at 07:15 PM.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Default Re: bigport 4age dizzy vs 4agze dizzy and wolf3d

You could run the dizzy and single coil setup if you want but its a step backward! Use the multi coil setup if you have it.
    So what your trying to say is ...you basicly have the GZE setup minus the cam angle sensor ?

you can use the dizzy as a crank angel sensor and run GZE coils
    Speak to Cuzzo he uses this setup on his!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

The wolf V4 can be configered to run many different ignition pick ups . if you use a Single coil with a distributor cap you only need the 4 teeth evenly spaced 90deg on the distributor pick up ( single pulse triggering ). if you use a Multi coil set up ( no distributor Cap needed ) you need 4 teeth on the pick up plus number 1 cylinder trigger signal, to get this No1 cylinder Trigger signal in the 4ag/ze ,you need the 4 evenly spaced teeth plus the next Trailing tooth ( not to be removed ) for both No1 and No 4 cylinder trigger teeth on the Distributor pickup Total of 6 trigger teeth , for Grouped (banked) injection , If you are using Sequential injection with a mutlti coil set up , you only Need 5 trigger teeth ,with the No 4 cylinder trailing tooth removed leaving only a trailing tooth on the number 1 cylinder tooth pickup, Both mutli coil setups are called Dual pulse triggering ..
    Get your Wolf installtion manual and look up "4 cylinder Single or Dual Pulse triggering",
    you get a better idea on what the pick up teeth should look like .
    From what you are saying if you use the complete distributor setup that the wolf was using with the same ignition coil set up .. you should not have to change any set up settings on the wolf .
    Hope that makes sense . Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron_Datto; 25-03-2007 at 09:00 AM.

the dizzy i have has had all but 4 teeth evenly spaced at 90 degrees removed.

so what your saying 30psi is i can use this as simply a CAS and grab some coils/ignitors to run?

but cameran datto your saying to run this as purely a CAS and run coils i need to have those 4 teeth plus the next trailing tooth...?
    so according to this this dizzy/cas can simply not be run as a CAS i may as well bite the bullet and use it with a single ignitor/coil and retain the "dizzy" ignition method?

yea if i ran it with the single coil and dizzy it would run like it used to from what i can see... the only thing is its a gz dizzy and a 4age... will this matter? from what i can see they physically fit, however i cant find my spare ge dizzys to compare when i went looking

much apprecaited so far guys.... plus rep for both!

Dave
    Last edited by DaveW; 25-03-2007 at 11:37 AM.

ok after that ive re-re-read the manual lol n it seems to make more sense now... from what i see unless i get my hands on a smallport dizzy or proper GZE CAS that will have 4+1 teeth i need to run this distributor with a single coil/ignitor...

so i guess what i need to know is whether or not running this 4 tooth gze dizzy on a bigport 4age will work ok

Dave

Learner Driver Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW
    the dizzy i have has had all but 4 teeth evenly spaced at 90 degrees removed.
    Dave
    on the bottom ?

is there a single pulse still on the top?
    - KE70 Corolla Dx -
    - 500hp+ 7AGTE 20V turbo -
    - MRS/Hayabusa turbo **sold**
    - TA63 3TGTE project in the build -

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Because you have an aftermarket ECU . You have the luxury of being able to run it how you want. ( ie GZE multi or 4age single)
    Seeing as the dizzy you have has been setup to run the multi coils ....id go that way!

Do you have the rest of the setup .......ie the ignitor / coils ???
    Does wolf run their own ignition module for multi coil or are you able to use a GZE one?

Quote Originally Posted by DX20VT
    on the bottom ?

is there a single pulse still on the top?

yep theres still a single tooth on the centre shaft above (closer to the cap) the other 4 tooth section... forgive my novice question but what is its purpose...
    Last edited by DaveW; 25-03-2007 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 30psi 4agte
    Because you have an aftermarket ECU . You have the luxury of being able to run it how you want. ( ie GZE multi or 4age single)
    Seeing as the dizzy you have has been setup to run the multi coils ....id go that way!

Do you have the rest of the setup .......ie the ignitor / coils ???
    Does wolf run their own ignition module for multi coil or are you able to use a GZE one?

id personally like to run coil packs, i dont know the real advantage i just have had annoying experiences with temperamental dizzys and would like to be done with them...

all i have is the single ignitor/coil unit that is suited for the dizzy and the gze dizzy with only 4 teeth on the bottom of the shaft for the CAS to pick up...

im not following what you mean by wolf running their own ignition module... they do allow a multi coil setup or a distributor setup, but this is what ive found in the manual... (see next post)

Dave

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

to just clarify something for the second part of your original question

the issue with running the dizzy and the reason the original distributer had the teeth removed was that the wolf couldnt understand the signal comming from the dizzy you can get arround this by buying a little black box from wolf for like $50 or the other option which was to grind the teeth off which was the path i took

wether or not you will have the same problem with your 4age dizzy im not sure...

this is what ive found in the manual,

it seems to suggest i cant run coils unless i have the 4+1 or the 4+2 teeth dizzy/CAS...

does the proper GZE CAS have this tooth setup? or does it only have 4 teeth?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 4agte
    to just clarify something for the second part of your original question

the issue with running the dizzy and the reason the original distributer had the teeth removed was that the wolf couldnt understand the signal comming from the dizzy you can get arround this by buying a little black box from wolf for like $50 or the other option which was to grind the teeth off which was the path i took

wether or not you will have the same problem with your 4age dizzy im not sure...

cheers martin, so you were running this as a typical distributor with the single coil/ignitor with no troubles yea?

Dave

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

yup mate ran no problems

Junior Member Grease Monkey

This Dosen`t work on ealier V4 firmware , but I have a feeling you can make this work on the latter firmware . iam not sure what version firmware you have .

You may be able to to use the other pickup (Ne signal ) (the outer top one ) in the distributor to get No1 cylinder trigger so that you can a run a multi coil set up in dual pulse mode . First you need to find out how many teeth are on the outer pick up , if its 1 tooth , your will have to set it up in sequential mode , if its 2 teeth 180deg apart then , you can run it in banked injection or grind off the extra teeth till you have 1 tooth trailing the No1 tooth trigger on your other 4 tooth pick up .. if the outer tooth isnt trailing No1 by 10 crankshaft deg , you might have to press it off and reposition so its correct ,., So what this means with distributor is that the other distributor pickup is the " camshaft trigger signal " and the 4 tooth pickup is your "Crankshaft Pickup Signal " , So you need to find out if the later firmware Has a Camshaft Pick up input for this to work .

im not sure what version the firmware is either.. is there a fast way to check? i just had a closer look at the distributor, the pickup sensor for the top single tooth has been completely removed from the dizzy... so the only sensor is the cas with the four teeth.

so this means it can only be used as a distributor? not an independant CAS?

Dave