Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil leak help please.

Cunning Linguist Domestic Engineer The Last Streetfighter's Avatar

Default Oil leak help please.

4AGE Silvertop

I noticed some oil starting to appear on the garage floor under about where the a/c compressor is so I got under there and had a closer look.
    It appears to be most oily around the front of the sump gasket. I could not see any oil coming down to the sump from up higher, but there is quite a bit of wet oil on the a/c compressor, but not actually dripping from there. Car was from a front cut with 116,000 km on the cluster and I have put 24,000 on it since last March. With never a sniff of a problem.

1: Do you think it could just be a sump gasket. Replace it and done? It not, where else should I be looking?
    2: What else should I do when I have the car up and the sump off?
    3: When I put the front right corner of the car up on the trolley jack and started the engine (I wanted to see if the oil was coming out under pressure, but saw no more oil with the engine on than with it off...), with the car in neutral, the wheel that was in the air was spinning and took a little force with my hand to stop it. Is my clutch not coming far enough off or does it do that for some reason (synchros or something?)

Thanks All

Trev
    AE90 Silvertop - GONE; 2001 ST215W GT-T Manual - SOLD; EP82 Starlet GT - Sold
    Now driving 20V Turbo 1.8 N-S FWD

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Default Re: Oil leak help please.

Hi,

For starters I'd clean all around where you think the oil leak is coming from, including any oil around your air-con unit. Then take it for a quick drive and then have a look for fresh oil. That's the best way to find the source of the leak.

Your wheels shouldn't turn at all when you're in neutral. Even if the clutch was slightly engaged (or even fully engaged for that matter) there should be no movement 'cos you got the gearbox in neutral.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Toymods Club Member #274 Backyard Mechanic Rallystanza's Avatar

Hey mate,

I would be checking the Dizzy O-ring seal that goes into the block.... Chech under the Dizzy for the leak. I had this leaking on my Bigport and it was amazing how far that oil leak found its way down.

Also, does the car still have its power steering??...are the lines to the pump leaking?

Good lcuk,

Jeremy

River:
    A) yes, on the plan for this arvo.
    B) ok, so what is wrong then?

R.S.: Dizzy is at the wrong end of the engine for that, mate. (Remember all the spoontah boys who put a silvertop in have to relocate the dizzy.) Mine's a FWD hatch.

Trev

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

Silvertop has the dizzy at the back of the head.

Toymods Club Member #274 Backyard Mechanic Rallystanza's Avatar

Der...

I missed the whole silvertop thing.

Oh well

Jeremy

Forum Member Grease Monkey

clean the sump and aircond and see if its coming out of there.Maybe pull the top timing belt cover off and have a look as it maybe coming from the cam seals. Another possibilty is if you have power steering is the pump,if it is like the 100kw motor(above the air) it might have a leak(mine does).

Regards
    Paul

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

as for 3. wheel moving when in neutral,

i wouldn't worry about this, my car did it when it was on the hoist getting the exhaust put on, and it is very common from what i have heard, apparently it is caused by fluid friction or something inside the gearbox, and of course has nothing to do with the clutch.

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Seconding that the wheel spinning in neutral is normal behaviour, I haven't seen a car that doesn't do that.

Can you smell/tell what type of oil it is? (to confirm it's not power steering fluid)
    You kinda wouldn't expect a sump gasket to just suddenly start leaking, since there isn't really any wear on it. I'd be thinking cam seals, like the person above me said. If it's leaking under there it wouldn't be doing the belt any favours either!

Alrighty then.

I could not tell the type of oil at this stage.

I didn't have time to take the front cover off this morning so I'll do that. There is very little room between the sump and the belts :O But they look pretty dry.

Oh and yes, it does have P/S, so I'll check that too. It came with the front cut so I whacked it on. Turning circle is worse now but easier to drive around...

is damn glad to meet ya. Domestic Engineer andy's Avatar

dont forget to check the oil pressure sender unit, and possibly your oil filter.
    they are located in that area and could be at fault.

the sender is right under your ac(when its in its stock location, i have PS in that location).

OK Then more fun.
    I am guessing the OPSS is the thing that sits in a bastard place under the AC mount. Stuck my finger in there and came out dry, same for oil filter, cam and crank seals. The only wet stuff is coming from the AC compressor. PS pump is dry as and not a drop of PS fluid is missing.

The oil that is pooling on the floor is green and kind of thin (shut up, it is not radiator inhibitor!) I wiped everything a dry as I could and will check for wet spots in the morning. There was also some thin red oil on the outside of the AC compressor. I think it is time for the "real" mechanic to have a look. I gather that the oil on the sump rim in that area is all coming from the AC Compressor, and some has even made it as far back as the RHS lower control arm (probably from driving sooo fast!)

While doing this, however, I did notice that my front engine mount rubber is rooted. So twas not all for nought.

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

That liquid does sound like it's probably refrigerant from the AC compressor/lines. Is the AC still cooling?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer mic*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by river
    Hi,

For starters I'd clean all around where you think the oil leak is coming from, including any oil around your air-con unit. Then take it for a quick drive and then have a look for fresh oil. That's the best way to find the source of the leak.

Your wheels shouldn't turn at all when you're in neutral. Even if the clutch was slightly engaged (or even fully engaged for that matter) there should be no movement 'cos you got the gearbox in neutral.

seeyuzz
    river
    Exactly, and if he was under the car stopping the wheel i would assume the clutch to be fully engaged unless he has real long bendy legs, or assistance.

Yes the AC is still keeping me nice and cool. I froze this morning going to work but when I went out a lunchtime the AC struggled to keep up (But it was pretty warm in Brissie today...)