Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bigport 4age dizzy vs 4agze dizzy and wolf3d

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

Default Re: bigport 4age dizzy vs 4agze dizzy and wolf3d

the firmware was updated about 1 1/2 yrs ago

Learner Driver Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW
    yep theres still a single tooth on the centre shaft above (closer to the cap) the other 4 tooth section... forgive my novice question but what is its purpose...

That single tooth is very important.

To get a car to run a single coil,
    all an ECU may need is to know when one of the pistons is at TDC.
    That's your four pulses.

To run wasted spark/multi coil the ECU also needs to know when a piston is at TDC and What particular piston it is that is at TDC so you need a single pulse which usually is No1 cylinder and the ECU can work out the other 3 in order from there.

Clever enough ECU can count from the 24 original teeth and the single pulse signal and decode it to the same 4+1output and will be more accurate on ignition.

If you dont have the top tooth it's single coil suited only.
    Last edited by DX20VT; 25-03-2007 at 05:37 PM.
    - KE70 Corolla Dx -
    - 500hp+ 7AGTE 20V turbo -
    - MRS/Hayabusa turbo **sold**
    - TA63 3TGTE project in the build -

Junior Member Carport Converter DaveW's Avatar

dang. k looks like ill either have to source a proper CAS and coils/ignitors or just run with the distributor setup its currently set for.

thanks heaps for the help so far everyone!!!

Dave

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice devolutio's Avatar

I'm converting a 4agze wolf3d v4 map to run on a bigport 16v 4age. I just looked inside my dizzy and found 24 teeh as a reference signal and 4 teeth for sync. The engine standard runs single coil and 1 bank for injectors (two output wires from ecu but they are joined in the wiring).

I'm either going to grind off 3 of those 4 teeth or convert the map to non sequencial injection (probably the first option).

though shinybluesteel has just had a look at a smallport dizzy for me and looks like it's got the 24+1 teeth.
    http://www.vicdrift.com -> drift practice and competitions at winton raceway. dates and details are on the website.

just got this pic from shinybluesteel - 1 sync tooth but strange decay (i'm sounding like a dentist).

also two magnetic pickups for that tooth.

thoughts?
    http://www.vicdrift.com -> drift practice and competitions at winton raceway. dates and details are on the website.

Learner Driver Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by devolutio

just got this pic from shinybluesteel - 1 sync tooth but strange decay (i'm sounding like a dentist).

also two magnetic pickups for that tooth.

thoughts?
    Yes, Small ports run the same sensor setup in the dist as the GZE setup,

Easiest way to tell is a 4 Wire Dist/Cas will run have 24 + 1
    and a 3 wire dist will have 24 + 4.

And two sensors on the top tooth is normal.

FYI too, the output signals on all the 4 wire dist's and CAS's are identical.
    anything 4 wire will work, the 20V 4age and ST185 Celica and SW20 MR2 as well as a lot of others.
    - KE70 Corolla Dx -
    - 500hp+ 7AGTE 20V turbo -
    - MRS/Hayabusa turbo **sold**
    - TA63 3TGTE project in the build -

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Angry Re: bigport 4age dizzy vs 4agze dizzy and wolf3d

Make sure you have the "Trigger Ground" pin 27 and "Trigger Reference" Pin 28 on the correct wires on the Distributor . if you have them swapped around . and the Base timming is set to the correct timming in relatation to the handset timming .. when the engine is reved up and timming is advanced it will be have more timming than the hand set is sayin it is is ..

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron_Datto
    Make sure you have the "Trigger Ground" pin 27 and "Trigger Reference" Pin 28 on the correct wires on the Distributor . if you have them swapped around . and the Base timming is set to the correct timming in relatation to the handset timming .. when the engine is reved up and timming is advanced it will be have more timming than the hand set is sayin it is is ..
    are you saying that if you get the polarity wrong on the sensor making it rising edge instead of falling edge (or whichever is stock) then it gets it's signal time wrong which may run but cause problems at higher rpm?

Can anyone see a problem with me removing three of the teeth on my 24+4
    (making it 24+1) dizzy? i've already started haxxoring (think i need a dremel).

toothless in seatle:

was easiest to break bits of the teeth off and destroy a set of wire clippers in the process... then file back. lots of metal shavings and chunks were in there so waving a powerful magnet around in their cleaned things up a bit. will post the results.

(note: if using the old wolf3d v4 software make sure you leave the tooth that is just before cyl 1 - the "trigger 2 offset" parameter was introduced in the new software (4.49?) - i'm pretty sure anyway.)