Thread: very small oil leak from turbo core/rear housing

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

Default very small oil leak from turbo core/rear housing

i dont know whats the go with my newly found problem but maybe someone can shed a bit of light on it so i can fix it without to much trouble or money.

the turbo is a air research t04 if that makes a difference.

the 6 bolts that hold the rear housing onto the turbo core (the bolts to rotate the housings), there all tight but a very small oil leak is coming out of the bottom one, looking at the slight stain that runs down onto the turbo flange it seems as if its coming out of that bolt anyway. the return line looks to be sealed, i can only get to one bolt and that was also tight as it should be. the turbo oil feed is also tight and doesnt look to be where the leak is coming from.

After driving it home for 30 mins a minimal amount was on there and was only slightly smoking when i lifted the bonnet, the smoke wasnt visible with the bonnet closed so isnt to bad, but i want to know how this is possible or what is causing it and how can i fix it.

any help would be appreciated

thanks
    brad
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Default Re: very small oil leak from turbo core/rear housing

How tight those bolts are will have no effect on the leak.

Have a good look at your turbo drain. This is the usual cause of this prob.

The other one is the rear turbo seal. If that is leaking it will cause smoke out of the exhaust on boost and when you pull up at the lights

If you dont have any of these probs id be looking at the drain. Is the eng oil level spot on. Ie not over full ?

yer it doesnt blow any smoke at lights or anything, the sump has a flyshit to much oil, but it has been like that for about 3 weeks since i last changed it and had no problems before today.

although the car has only just been tuned up on a higher boost level 4 days ago and today i have been doing a bit of spirited driving so maybe the oil pressure from the increased revs along with a little to much oil has done it? because before now i really havnt been able to take the car up to redline.

so hopefully its the drain ill change the oil again and get it spot on, and hope its not the seals haha

thanks +rep
    Last edited by BeRad; 20-03-2007 at 07:54 PM.

DIY Bloodline Domestic Engineer Talasas's Avatar

yer it doesnt blow any smoke at lights or anything, the sump has a flyshit to much oil, but it has been like that for about 3 weeks since i last changed it and had no problems before today.
    Never forget that 3 weeks is enough time for seals to die with the drain not working. Not meaning to frighten you there btw.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG

this is true, but lets not think about that haha.

thanks

updaTE, I pulled the drain off the sump and started the engine , oil is flowing from the line as it should, but with the hose off the welded in bit into the sump is throwing oil everywhere from the crank id guess, this wouldnt be stopping the flow would it, other than this im all out of ideas , where the drain is welded into the sump is where ive seen all the
    3rz's turbo drains, up the front of the sump.

thanks

Hmmm
    It doesnt sound that good that the oil is being thrown out.

It could well be enough to stop the return of the oil from the turbo and cause a build up.

Do you know if the other guys have baffled their return on the inside of the sump?? Or had some sort of deflector plate on the inside to stop the splasing back up into the pipe ??

Hoe long has the car been turbo for ?.... What im getting at is that if it has been turbo for some time and you havent had this prob before than mabe its not the design of the drain as you would have noticed this earlier.

Im just trying to think how you can try and test it to see if it is the cause or not.
    Mabe......... Just let me get my bullet proof jacket on here (i dont want to die when i get shot down) drain some more oil, to say 3/4 full and see if it stops splashing out. Then hook up the turbo drain and see if the prob is fixed or not?????( the oil may now have a clear return.)

Can you possibly post a pic of the way you have it setup ?

One other thing i just thought of too....is that too much crank case pressure can have a effect on the oil returning to the sump.
    If their is too much in the engine it will be forcing oil up the drain.

Possible breather issue ???