Thread: 7AGE 20V 6 speed

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Bazooka's Avatar

Default 7AGE 20V 6 speed

Hi All,

I am considering a conversion into an AE112 Corolla. I can source a Blacktop 20V 6 speed half cut to do so but am considering keeping the 1.8L bottom end. Now this car is to be kept as a daily driver and will not be used for racing or (much) hard driving. I would like things to be kept stock and look factory under the bonnet. I have read up a little and it seems that the bottom end should be fine for what I want with just a little balancing and strengthening (shot peening?)
    What I cannot find much on is mounting of the gearbox into the vehicle as i would assume this to be different to the standard 5 speed. Anyone had much to do with these 6 speed gearboxes? Also what timimg belt needs to be used? I have found reference to the use of a Porsche timing belt for use with the 16V head but nothing concrete on the 20V head. Can anyone confirm this?
    Is there anything else I need to consider? Are things like the clutch and flywheel going to be a drama?

Cheers

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

Default Re: 7AGE 20V 6 speed

they are still a c series box right so id assume the corolla driveshafts would bolt straight but to the inner driveshafts

assuming the gearbox mount is the same it should be a bolt in affair

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

use the gearbox mounts from the frontcut and the 6-speed should bolt in.

Use your 7A flywheel and a 212mm clutch setup.

What pistons are you going to use? The blacktop pistons on 7A rods will put the compression through the roof.

ethanol sniffing Backyard Mechanic adamaw11's Avatar

have you found this yet?
    http://www.turbofast.com.au/mr2.html

says he used the 20v timing belt, but had to stuff around and modify a few bits and pieces
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=83259
    '88 A.D.M aw11 '98 4age 20v blacktop
    NA: 14.745@150kmh at willowbank. On E85 with 6psi boost: 13.573@165kmh. ~8psi: 13.187 @169.9kmh. >10psi: 12.9 rod fragments @ 174mm holes in block
    daily: '93 ae101 Levin coupe. Motorbike: '09 Suzuki GSR600: 12.358@179kmh at Willowbank

Thanks JP,
    From what little I have read putting the blacktop pistons onto the 7A rods was the way to go. What sort of compression would this give me? I assume I am looking for something around the stock compression figure.
    Adam, yes I know about the Ray Hall MR2 but from my reading it seems that others have done the same using a different belt without all the other modifications being needed.

I'll keep looking

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

on a 16V 7age it's easy to get the cam timing back where it needs to be with some adjustable cam gears.

Not quite so easy on the 20V unless you want to lose the VVT operation by installing some TODA or speedracer cam gears.

You're starting with 11:1 compression ratio in the AE111 4ag, I haven't done the maths for the ratio with the extra stroke of the 7a, but with the same combustion chamber volume I'd expect it to be over 12:1 by a fair amount.

you'll need to use the 4age accesorys etc

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

ive seen a 20v turbo 7age before so it can work

OK so does anyone know what pistons I should be using and what timng belt is going to work with this setup? At least all I probably need to know is how many teeth the belt would need to be as I can find something from there.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I have done several of these engines & can supply the correct belt You also need a custom forged piston, to make it all work correctly. The 7A rods are the weak link and I usually change them for forged ones. not a cheap conversion. www.roadandtrack.net.au

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Terryo: there is some interresting stuff on that link.

Whats with the 3/4 groove bearings ??

Sorry Terry but I did not even give you a thought. I will call you tomorrow to discuss I had no idea you frequent this forum either haha

Cheers

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

Once you measure the required length of the timing belt and it's width and tooth profile, any spare parts shop should be able to find the required one for you.

They come in an amazing array of lengths.
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

Learner Driver Backyard Mechanic

from what i found with this type of conversion,

If you use the 20V head,
    the 16V belt will fit and line up the cams If you use the Blacktop oil Pump and Hydraulic Tensioner.

The 7A engine has the combustion Chamber more in the pistons than in the head and so the pistons do not reach the top of the bore, and so the compression is never as high as you think, most of the time it ends up too low.
    - KE70 Corolla Dx -
    - 500hp+ 7AGTE 20V turbo -
    - MRS/Hayabusa turbo **sold**
    - TA63 3TGTE project in the build -

Thanks guys but I have Terry getting back to me on what I need. Apparently he has done a few and tried all different pistons for this conversion. He mentioned something about Astra pistons but will wait and see what he comes up with. Will let you all know (if Terry doesnt want it kept secret) as to what should be used.