Thread: Can advancing the timing on a 4AGE disable TVIS?

I see invisible people Backyard Mechanic WHITCHY's Avatar

Default Can advancing the timing on a 4AGE disable TVIS?

Well my 4AGE has been running like shit so I checked that the cam timing wasn't out and so with that all sweet, I decided I might as well just have a fiddle with the dizzy and see if that fixed my problems...
    Well it did, and now the car pulls right from the start, and is so much more responsive!
    But I don't know if it is just my imagination, but I can't notice, or feel TVIS opening up anymore?
    Have I somehow created a constant vaccum, or constant lack of vaccum to the TVIS controller that its now constantly open?
    All I did was rotate the dizzy a little bit towards the front of the car, to advance the timing, went for a drive, noticed it was pinging, so I retarded it a little untill the pinging stopped. I havn't touched anything else.
    I am just confused as all the threads I have read about having TVIS disabled said it would loose mid range tourque, but it doesnt feel like it has, it feels like it has gained it and it just keeps producing power even past the TVIS range meaning it is working?What the hell is going on???

Thanks in advance for any help and info.
    Cheers.
    -Whitchy-

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

Default Re: Can advancing the timing on a 4AGE disable TVIS?

I didnt think tvis was supposed to be noticable.
    If it's noticable, then someone didnt tune it very well.

Perhaps fixing the tune made it less apparent.
    Easy way to tell is to jam it open, go for a drive, it should feel flatter till about 4k

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

youll lose low end torque if you disable it. if anything you should be able to atleast hear the butterflys opening up(the exhaust/induction note). check the vac hose that goes to the tvis controller behind the intake manifold.

how much did you advance it ive seen intake cams one tooth out and advancing it close to 20 degrees fixs the problem.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Nah, I'm pretty sure it's still working. My car did the same thing. Put the engine in the car, drove it home and at home I set it all up.

When we put the distributor back on the engine, we didn't set the timing exactly and after driving it around my house, I decided to set it correctly. Before I set it, the car used to get a good at around 60km/h in 2nd gear(no tacho yet). After I did the timing, I can barely feel the TVIS working. I know it's opened up but without the kick since low end torque is now up.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice turbo_gze's Avatar

WHITCHY did you check your timming with a timming gun before you advanced it and after you advanced it ?

I see invisible people Backyard Mechanic WHITCHY's Avatar

Nope, I don't have a timing gun, I was just fiddling around because the car had become really sloppy so I thought I might as well just see if it was a timing issue, even tho I had never touched the timing. but before I did it I turned the crank and the mark on the crank lined up with the 0 and the marks on the cam wheels lined up correctly.
    I am pretty sure it is working and like has been said, it was just really poorly tuned before woth crap all power down low so TVIS was noticable, and now there is power all the way through the rev range and its just how it is meant to be, it definately doesnt lag off anywhere!
    Thanks for all the info!
    Cheers.
    -Whitchy-

Magical Mushroom Grease Monkey Willy's Avatar

When the timing wasnt right in my sprinter... it would run like crap until about 4500rpm... but this is not because of the TVIS, its because the advance on the dizzy gets to a point where the timing is allright, thus making the engine run smoothly... You'd have to be a pro to notice any difference between TVIS and no TVIS...
    Relax, i'm with goatse...