Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2T-GEU / 3T-C conversion

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 2T-GEU / 3T-C conversion

Heres the history of the car and motor.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index...topic=7782&hl=

Heres my problem. apart from i have no idea on most things, i have read all the info i can find on the conversion, i have understood that is is easy to do.

The bits i don't understand is the bits about the dummy shaft oil gallery's about blocking them off....

But i will start from here.

I have a "11111 - 88260" head with the "TOYOTA DOHC" rocker cover.
    I also have a complete 3tc motor. not sure on the what, when, wheres etc but not important.

1st thing car is a RACE car. so not aiming for pissy compression etc that i have seen on some threads.

2nd still want a reliable race engine. but putting out reasonable hp.
    I'm thinking of using 3t block, crank, rods, and new 3tc high comp pistons from Wiseco. Im hoping to get around the 2L mark (can u advise if this is wise/ what i want etc), to piss of the Datsun boys. but we wont go there.

Im using the car for autocrosses, motorkhanas (grass and bitumen), and khanacrosses.
    so would like motor to work in the 3000 to 8-9000 range.

What cams would you recommend i be looking at. duration and lift etc.

Also my dilemma about the oil path things.

I think this is all. i await ur replys.

P.S my grammar is still in school. sorry

1941cc 2T-G Domestic Engineer w810sc's Avatar

Default Re: 2T-GEU / 3T-C conversion

Hey wilson 610, nice project you got there.
    for the 3T-C block to work on the 2T-G head, you need to replace the cam that pushed the push rods to a dummy cam that drives the dizzy and the fuel pump only. By doing this you also need to rotate the bearings so that it blocks off the oil galleries where the existing cam lenghts used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson 610
    I'm thinking of using 3t block, crank, rods, and new 3tc high comp pistons from Wiseco. Im hoping to get around the 2L mark
    thats a good start, i am using the 3T-GTE crank and rods for my NA application. I compared the 2T-G rods to the 3T-GTE ones and they are a bit more beefier. But if you have the money i would go the forged rods & pistons combination.
    Cutting valve reliefs in the wisco forged pistons are all ready taken care off so you don't have to do that. I believe you only need to do that for the stock 3T-C ones and on the exhaust valve side.
    2 litres will depend on stroke and bore size. I know you can get 90mm pistons.
    To be above the rest and want optimum power from your hybrid, with the right money i would recommend you looking in to stainless steel valves flow tested to suit your head and for bronze valve guides for less friction etc.
    As for cam combination, find one that matches your setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson 610
    to piss of the Datsun boys. but we wont go there.
    hahaha, so you got some competition ey?

fonzy
    deepdishfactory
    2T-G - Half the valves but twice the fun.

Also on a side note, you'd want to look into getting a baffled sump to prevent oil starvation or air in the galleries when you are driving/turning on a wide corner in a race. Try to find a 3T-GTE oil pump for a better flow of oil or better find one that has a larger pump gear, this is noticed with an extra plate(spacing plate) between the pick up and shaft to allow the larger gear.
    Use the timing gears to replace the lower timing chain. This removes the possibility of a stretched chain which leads to the wrong timing up in the cam gears.
    Toymods has it all, "if you can't find the right tool in this workshop, you don't belong here" hehehe,

fonzy
    deepdishfactory

Quote Originally Posted by w810sc
    Hey wilson 610, nice project you got there.
    for the 3T-C block to work on the 2T-G head, you need to replace the cam that pushed the push rods to a dummy cam that drives the dizzy and the fuel pump only. By doing this you also need to rotate the bearings so that it blocks off the oil galleries where the existing cam lenghts used to be.

thats a good start, i am using the 3T-GTE crank and rods for my NA application. I compared the 2T-G rods to the 3T-GTE ones and they are a bit more beefier. But if you have the money i would go the forged rods & pistons combination.
    Cutting valve reliefs in the wisco forged pistons are all ready taken care off so you don't have to do that. I believe you only need to do that for the stock 3T-C ones and on the exhaust valve side.
    2 litres will depend on stroke and bore size. I know you can get 90mm pistons.
    To be above the rest and want optimum power from your hybrid, with the right money i would recommend you looking in to stainless steel valves flow tested to suit your head and for bronze valve guides for less friction etc.
    As for cam combination, find one that matches your setup.

hahaha, so you got some competition ey?

fonzy
    so i use the dummy shaft from the 2tg. rotate? how far, 90 degs... i just i will see what u mean when i strip the motor down.

yeah rotate it just enough to block of the oil galleries.

fonzy
    deepdishfactory

Junior Member Grease Monkey styler's Avatar

Im hoping to get around the 2L mark
    89mm is about the max overbore for 2tg but some people find 88.5 is a safer bet. you could go 90mm but it makes the walls very thin which isnt recommended. 89mm pistons and 3t stroker crank is what i believe the "2 litre" hybrid composes of, its like 1940cc or so?

toyota-less Carport Converter skiddz's Avatar

a 3y crank will get you close to the 2L IIRC
    2T out 4A in....

4A out 3VZ in. 3vzfe rebuild, RWD-ising, and conversion for ta22

Yeah im with you on that one, 89mm is close to the limit. I have 88.5mm in one of mine (not hybrid though) but dont know the compression because it's in japanese.
    deepdishfactory

Junior Member Grease Monkey styler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    a 3y crank will get you close to the 2L IIRC
    not sure about the 3y crank, i thought it was the 4y crank that people put in the 2tg but on another note the t series cranks are forged unlike the y series cranks which arent, although there are aftermarket billet units avaliable.

i know the 4y can be made to fit with a lot of work and cost or even a 2tg on a 4y bottom
    end at the extreme, however as far as i can see nothing competes with the swap of a 3t crank and pistons for performance. 3t crank will give you 1770cc or so and then overbore to 88.5 or 89mm max if youre keen for a n/a motor, should be easily above 1900cc.

it also isnt recommended to stroke these motors too much as they have a great oversquare design which is great for revving but will be affected if you stroke it out too much, 3t crank is good without affecting this aspect too much, especially if you overbore
    it to compensate.

increase in capacity is a good modification to do just remember there are also many other areas you can modify the 2tg for great results

Last edited by styler; 16-05-2007 at 11:25 PM.

yes im going to stick with the 3t block and bore it depending on the block to 88 - 89mm...

now i need to settle on some decent cams for it... what is the reconmended thing to do with the valve springs??? i have a 88260 atm and it doesnt like above like 6600rpm.

they have double valve springs, an inner and an outter. The stock cams run out of puff around there. Up grade your springs to a high performance brand
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson_610
    Im using the car for autocrosses, motorkhanas (grass and bitumen), and khanacrosses.
    so would like motor to work in the 3000 to 8-9000 range.
    I would recommend a high duration cam for a power band where you mentioned. maybe 288/272 9-12mm lift will depend on what else you do to the head.

You can buy 2T-G 2000cc pistons that uses the 3T crank to make 2 litres with the 2T-G/3T set up. Like what i have done to one of mine, 1750cc pistons with 2T-G crank increases capacity to 1.75 litres.
    deepdishfactory

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Wilson,

Sounds like your building a tough T series engine which is awesome.

Not sure what fuel you intend on running or how much compression your after so these may or may not be what your after. If you PM DavGT4 he has this set of pistons and rings for sale that I had custom made quite a few years ago by SPS.

They are a Forged 88.5mm Pistons designed to use with a twin cam head and the 3T Crank. Compression should be 10.5:1 compression with the standard size 2TG combustion chambers.

As for valve springs Performance Springs are a club sponsor and there RR4 spring will most likely do the trick depending on how much lift your after.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

mmmm...eye candy^^^
    deepdishfactory

i have just pm'd him now and i now await his reply...

thanks "The Toyman75"

Willie

well im now the proud owner of the said pistons form DavGT4. thanks to him and The Toyman75.

now im debating on to pull the 88260 currently in there out or try and find a 88262 (the one with no numbers in the head) and use that as a donor???