Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 pac clear over acrylic

Junior Member Grease Monkey normo's Avatar

Default 2 pac clear over acrylic

Well I have painted the car in metallic acrylic, looks good, I wanted to rub it back lightly and put a few coats of clear on it.
    The guy at the paint shop suggested 2-pac clear over acrylic
    any suggestions??

Junior Member Grease Monkey normo's Avatar

Default Re: 2 pac clear over acrylic

bump
    need to know soon fellas

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic celicaboy_2000's Avatar

Go for it.... it'lll add that extra gloss and protection. Is that the answer your after?

Blasphemist Chief Engine Builder Bananaman's Avatar

Does 2 pak clear have the same tendency to chip as 2 pak paint would?

I'm using 2 pak primer on my car but acrylic top coat.. So that when it inevitably gets stone chips, trolley dings, etc etc, it will be alot easier to fix.
    KE20 CA18DET / RN25 12R / IS200 1G / NA MX5 B6

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

I didnt think you could mix the two.Something to do with paint shrink from memory?????

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

depends on how cured the acrylic is doesn't it?

acrylic cures by losing solvent..
    2 pack cures by reaction (hance the two halves being mixed together )
    so if you trap solvent in the acrylic with your 2 pack..... not so good? at least thats the basic theory

but in practice.... no idea... if the acrylic is old, it shouldn't make much difference as it has well and truly cured?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

i think its the other way around 30psi, u cant paint acrylic over 2pak. or sumfin like that...

the guy doin my car done the same thing to his. black acrylic under a 2pak clear. came up beaut, and looks a goods till this day. been a good few months now and not a fault as yet... and they are usually easier to pick up in black paint...

i plan on the same for mine, only cause he says its the best thing to do, i have no idea about thsi sorta stuff...
    but its important wif 2pak that it gets backed or shit goes wrong. i dont know wat exactly, but maybe that is wat causes the problems wif mixing them or sumfin?
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Yeah i honestly dont know but i remember seeing a car at a paint shop and all the paont was cracked when i said what the fu@k happened here???? the painter said that he had used acrylic and then 2pac over the top or somethin like that.

what ever this bloke who painted this car did he sure made a majour mess

GEEZ oldcorollas you seem to have a very techanical brain and well thought out LOGICAL answer to most questions!!!!

EVO's Are the Dark Side. Grease Monkey ae86trueno's Avatar

Isnt there an acrylic clear available ??

Acrylic is pain to get looking good, i will never spray with it again,
    The stuf to get for Backyard Jobs is 620 Barracryl ICF from Protec,
    Started yesterday spraying the sprinter with this stuff, all the good properties of 2 Pack because it is, but without the nasties (Iso-cyanate ect).

Ben.

i dont think so trueno. cause u dont use a clear over an acrylic paint, thats why its easier to use, and thats why its not so shinny. usually anyway**
    JZA023

Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

Fava beans and chianti Backyard Mechanic AE86slut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey228
    u dont use a clear over an acrylic paint,
    Says who??? I did. It would be dumb to not clear it I reckon. I did about 6 coats of colour and the same of clear so there was plenty to buff without reaching the colour. Came up shiny-as.

As for painting 2k over acrylic, I think the problem is that they expand and contract with temperature at different rates, so your acrylic is going to want to expand or contract, but the 2k clear won't let, probably resulting in cracking. The other thing I have heard is that they simply wont bond to each other, but I'm not sure of the accuracy of that.
    I might contact a paint shop and ask them, because if it is ok to 2k clear over acrylic, I'll be first in line to do it!

Cheers,

Jeremy.
    I am not a doctor, or a mechanic...
    A.K.A Otomoto
    All new - Fart!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vios-GT_07
    it was 10,000 kms b4 it saw the red-line.. but even then i seldom push it that hard unless i have to prove a point i.e. competition

did u do a 2k clear? or an acrylic clear. i was saying that there prolly isnt a acrylic clear, cause u dont usualy use a clear over an acrylic less u use a 2k clear... >>?

im not gonna lie, i have no idea about this stuff. jus going by wat ive heard, and different posibilites... so dont quote me lol
    JZA023

Junior Member Grease Monkey

did u do a 2k clear? or an acrylic clear. i was saying that there prolly isnt a acrylic clear, cause u dont usualy use a clear over an acrylic less u use a 2k clear... >>?

im not gonna lie, i have no idea about this stuff. jus going by wat ive heard, and different posibilites... so dont quote me lol
    I mean I used acrylic clear over acrylic paint.

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

Stick to using the same two paints unless the Acryllic is fully cured. As mentioned earlier Acryllic releases solvents to cure. If you prevent this your job is going to go south. You'll need to wait a few weeks for it to cure fully before you try 2K Clear over the top.

That being said, whoever mentioned that Acryllic paint is hard to get looking good obviously doesn't know what they are doing.

That is my first job, its acryllic with 8 coats of colour, 8 coats of clear. Clear was lightly rubbed with 2000 grit to remove any orange peel that all paint jobs get (just go have a close look at the surface of a new car from factory) Then hit with Meguiars Diamond Cut but it's yet to be fully polished.

I personally wouldn't be doing 2K paint unless you can bake it properly to achieve its proper strength, otherwise what is the point? If you use acryllic you'll have no hassels in the future if you need to rub it back down and respray, or make a small repair to certain sections.

HHeLiBeBCNOFNeNaMgAlSiPS Backyard Mechanic

but its important wif 2pak that it gets backed or shit goes wrong. i dont know wat exactly, but maybe that is wat causes the problems wif mixing them or sumfin?
    Eh? I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Of course there are acrylic clears, in fact a lot of people like to start mixing clears in as you do more and more coats, starting with 50:50 and then moving out to 100% clear to give a deep shine.

However, acrylics (unless they are 2pak, iscocyante free acrylics) do dry by evapouration of the solvent contained in the paint. Thus can be easily redissolved by the right solvent. So if your 2k polyurethane has the same solvent it could either;
    1.Give you some "key" into acrylic by partially dissolving it and giving good adhesion
    2. Fuck up the acrylic coats by partially dissolving them and making a big mess.

I really don't see why you'd both. 2k urethanes are very tough and flexible, but you're going to use 2k I'd use it all the way through. If you already have acrylic the safest way is to use an acrylic clear.

I'm not sure what differences there are in thermal expansion co-effcient between the two materials and whether this may cause a problem also.
    you know what I mean this electric stream
    and my tears in league with the
    wires and energy and my machine
    this is my beautiful dream