Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rim Offest MA61 -> T18? Newbie 'dumb' quick question

Write English! Grease Monkey GasedT18's Avatar

Default Rim Offest MA61 -> T18? Newbie 'dumb' quick question

Apologies in advance,

Impending sale - stock MA61 rims (Supra 85?), from what I know 14x7, 114x4 (iirc +37mm offset)? . Kind of like the look of them and need to know if they would fit a T18. I have no idea what the offset is though on stock T18s and whether it would be legal on a T18 or foul the guards etc (depends I guess on tire profile too).

Sorry but they seem a reasonable price but I just don't know and have no time...

D
    T-18 SE series 2 1982 3T-C dual fuel, now under resto
    3T-GTE rebuild with fancy gas bits under consideration
    AE71 CSX 1984 auto
    Parts Wanted ASAP - See Parts Wanted

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

Default Re: Rim Offest MA61 -> T18? Newbie 'dumb' quick question

Quote Originally Posted by GasedT18
    Apologies in advance,

Impending sale - stock MA61 rims (Supra 85?), from what I know 14x7, 114x4 (iirc +37mm offset)? . Kind of like the look of them and need to know if they would fit a T18. I have no idea what the offset is though on stock T18s and whether it would be legal on a T18 or foul the guards etc (depends I guess on tire profile too).

Sorry but they seem a reasonable price but I just don't know and have no time...

D
    14 x 7, 114.3 PCD but +8 offset. Dont know if theyd fit T18 though....
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Oh What a Feeling! Backyard Mechanic c2888's Avatar

with a 185/60/14 you'd easily fit them
    the 225s tat supras normally wear will be a bit much, and it'll look like a 4x4

ma61 wheels make everything look 200% better

Dan
    The spanner in my avatar is actually a 16mm, that's why it's still new

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

MA61 = 7" x 14" +8 (stock)
    T18 = 5" x 13" +27 (stock)

Both are 4 x 114.3

difference...(assuming same wheel design)
    6.4mm inboard (rim sitting further in than stock)
    44.4mm outboard (rim sitting further out than stock)

Cheers
    Wilbo

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

theyll fit
    fill the gaurds nicely in fact
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Thanks all,

thanks for no flames too Search, search ....but search doesn't like "T18" it's too short - it's a conspiracy I tell you! So for posterity I'll say TE72

In anycase, bugger - missed them! Got to get on top of ebay bidding grrrr I expect there will be other chances. A bit of a compulsive move seeing as the beast will be undergoing surgery and makeover and is likely to be off the road for ages.

Dan I agree. I quess it's a matter of taste. However, MA61's just don't look right to me on any other rim but if anyone out there has done it and have spare rims taking up valuable garage space I may change my mind

I've got 195/65R/14" Dunlop Monza's on at the moment. They don't look too fat IMO and about 1" from tyre wall to outside edge of guard. They just catch the rear of the well and flare under extreme conditions & with the soft stock springs - a bit of discreet hammer work would fix the well I think. There's only 10mm or so between strut and tyre. Tyres are on what I believe are Scorpion rims (car bought with them) - 7".

Just read up on the law. I hope T18's had wider 'optional' wheels, 5" is a bit skimpy for the "macho machine" (no tyre placard on mine, tsk, tsk). Need to measure track as well (~1360mm?). It seems if you got to within a half inch of the edge of the flare you'd be close to exceeding the RTA's rules on track (on stock struts etc) - but tape measure will clear things up. The OD may be too big already.

D
    AE71 CSX 1984 auto

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

i think you're talking about the rims i just bought off ebay

set of 5 with the centre caps, $160
    beer me!

Oh What a Feeling! Backyard Mechanic c2888's Avatar

throw a * into your search t18* and you will get all the posts with t18 in them
    sure it will include st185, but you are halfway there

And tyre placard smakard, i doubt anyone is gonna look any closer than the TOYOTA imprint on the centre cap, if anyone does, i bought it like this, must be factory option

I've had them on my sprinter for over 3 years and I've never been asked, the only people that ask want to buy them

Dan
    The spanner in my avatar is actually a 16mm, that's why it's still new

Crazy Chief Engine Builder 1JZ-Rolla's Avatar

I ran 15x7" rims on my T18 with a +12 offset, with a 195/50/15 tyre this was no problem for guard clearance, until extra castor was wound in, then it just touched the front bottom corner of the guard.

Cheers
    Phil

joecoolmk2,

Bastard! Na, an auction an auction, good luck to you and good price eh? Anyways I said it was a bit of a compulsive buy. Do you ever get that odd feeling of relief after a sale falls through that you didn't want the item afterall? Maybe in a year. It took me 4 years to find the 'right' 3TGTE sale!

Hey mate, did you see the TE71 on ebay the other week? I've got picks & details – poor thing I think there's more rust in it than I think I could deal with and the price is unrealistic. PM me for details if you could have a look.

Back to topic. Dan, the problem with skirting the law is that even if the cops don't notice small changes an insurance company investigator might. The RTA is right in it's guidelines that wheels over a certain size put extra strain on bearings etc - which could feasibly lead to safety problems.

An alternative way of searching is to use Google Advanced Search and use the Domain filter to only show results from http://toymods.net/forums.

One of the problems with dedicated threads arises with the Toymods search - your search term might be on, for example, page 300 of 500 pages.

Adieu
    AE71 CSX 1984 auto

Blasphemist Chief Engine Builder Bananaman's Avatar

For the dedicated threads, change your search options to show results by post, not by thread
    KE20 CA18DET / RN25 12R / IS200 1G / NA MX5 B6

Thanks Phil,

I'll keep that combo in mind - one has to also look at the relative availability/cost of rubber. If I can't fit vented rotors and bigger calipers to existing struts new struts/rotor size etc will also need to be factored in.

Are you the Phil I emailed years ago about a jap workshop manual for an engine (if so could you PM me)? Seems someone on the forum is doing a scan and translation that may appear one day.

Bananaman: doh! I overlooked that option

Cheers

David
    Last edited by GasedT18; 26-01-2007 at 11:11 AM. Reason: addition
    AE71 CSX 1984 auto

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GasedT18
    joecoolmk2,

Bastard! Na, an auction an auction, good luck to you and good price eh? Anyways I said it was a bit of a compulsive buy. Do you ever get that odd feeling of relief after a sale falls through that you didn't want the item afterall? Maybe in a year. It took me 4 years to find the 'right' 3TGTE sale!

Hey mate, did you see the TE71 on ebay the other week? I've got picks & details – poor thing I think there's more rust in it than I think I could deal with and the price is unrealistic. PM me for details if you could have a look.

Adieu

yeah i saw the TE71, didn't really like it, it was definately overpriced, would be an interesting car though.

hopefully the seller will be willing to drop the mags off at TASFREIGHT for me, otherwise i might have to ask a favour of someone in the Broadford area
    beer me!

Celica man 1st year Apprentice Toy_T-18's Avatar

if you want to know a width of tires for the pig i have a set of 215/60/R14's up under the guards of my t-18 and i also sat a set of 215/45/R17 under mine aswell and they didn't scrub at all, another thing witch im going to try is also fit MA61 flares onto my t-18 to get it wider so theres another thing

Cheers Sean

Thanks Sean,

and what offset are your rims?

I'm about to lay hands on a G series diff - as part of a package. It's been cut short I believe - not measured yet - to fit a TA22 and it has discs. This will mean I will have to run different offset on rears to make up for what's been cut - if I fit it to the T-18 (after moving the mounts over or get new mounts made). Are same pattern rims in different offsets reasonably easy to get hold of?

BTW was that you bidding on the T-18 Chassis and Body repair manuals on ebay?

Thanks

David
    AE71 CSX 1984 auto