Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric fuel pump stopped working.... HELP!

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Default Electric fuel pump stopped working.... HELP!

So my morning starts with the usual half hour trek to work. Before I leave I stop at BP for some of my usual 98 octane, then head off. I get to within about 5 minutes from work, and the poor girl starts spluttering. I know this spluttering... its the sort of spluttering I get after a few minutes of leaving the fuel pump switch off... but its ON!

So luckily I can get the car off the road and pull into a shopping centre carpark that's mostly empty. As I pulled up she died - the fuel in the carbs had obviously run out. Rang someone from work to pick me up as I was already late, and had a quick squiz whilst I was there. The fuel pump definately wont run with the switch on, and if I flick it on and off, I get the click of the relay. Had a quick fiddle with the wires going to the relay but it was pointless. And everything looked in order, no missing wires.

So..... Ideas of what it could be? Ive tried nothing and Im all out of ideas....

This kinda pisses me off as I have a dentist appointment straight after work. Had to happen today didnt it!
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Default Re: Electric fuel pump stopped working.... HELP!

take a multimeter to the points on your fuel pump. if power is getting there when you turn the switch on, time for a new pump! Otherwise, start tracing back the wires, checking with the multimeter at every join, until you can work out what section is fubared
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Hmmm ok...sounds logical enough..

My trusty old dad is going to come have a look at it while im at work, cos I need it this afternoon... i'll tell him to bring his multimeters. The pump is only about 10 months old Its a $100 repco job so doesnt suprise me if its fubared!!
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

if fubared, replace with bosch

Oh, and if the fuel pump is actually working when you switch it on (it will be obvious once you're next to the pump), next likely culprits are a clogged pickup or fuel filter. (or clogged something )
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Normally the pump is loud and you can hear it easily, even from the drivers seat. But its definately not working at all, it is dead silent

Just remembered I didnt even check the fuse between the pump and the battery... DUH! I am so hoping that's just it, i'll even wear the embarrasment that goes with it if that's all it is!
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Well turns out there was 12.4V going to the pump, so it was the pump that was the problem. Fitted a new one last night and got her home, all was sweet. Got about 10 mins from home today and she started cutting out again! This time the pump was definately working, I could hear it when i pulled up. It would want to be, its brand new!

So my money's on dirt in the fuel system. Aside from the obvious of replacing the fuel filter, what else can I do to get it all clean again? I dont want to have to flush the fuel tank out just yet, because its full with 98 octane

Any suggestions? I was going to replace the filter, blow compressed air back into the tank to get any crap out of the lines, and run some fuel system cleaner through it in the hope it will clean out any crap that got into the carbies. Anything else? Thanks...
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

I am crap as a Conversion King SilverRA23's Avatar

If its bad fuel, the only real way to get it out is to pull the tank out. Not what you want to hear I am sure.

If it is bad fuel, and you have your receipt, you will be able to make a claim on the service station. They have a process for reimbursing you for fixing it.

But you do have to have a receipt and be able to show it was dirty fuel - ie clogged filters etc. You normally arent the only one going in to harass the service station either, so they will admit it pretty quick...

yeah, but its a 30 year old car, so it could be dirt built up over 30 years?
    I didnt keep the receipt either
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Junior Member Grease Monkey styler's Avatar

if its dirt in the tank then you will need to flush it out fully and replace the filter, bit of a pain having to take it out but the only way to get the dirt out for good.

on the pump side of things are you using a high volume low pressure self priming lift pump? carter and pierburg have models to suit, or use the best of the lot a carter 4070.
    i cant recommend facet pumps as people have too many problems with them.

how is the pump hooked up on the fuel side of things?

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

One option when your fuel pump stops despite having power is to "adjust" it so it continues running.

My choice of adjuster is any chunk of timber or shifter I have handy. I good whack gets it started again.
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Its a low pressure one that is in the engine bay, pretty much just replaces the mechanical one. Its suitable for carbies and not EFI, which suits me fine.

TANK --> Paper Element Fuel Filter --> Electric Pump --> Carbies

The one that just died was a facet one, the one i replaced it with was a no-name brand one that looked identical and was about half the price. Hope that helps.
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

HI there,
    If your using the same pump i'm thinking, squareish facet pump, there not very good at pulling
    fuel from the tank there better at pushing. diagram below shows what i did.
    i put the pump down the back at the same level as the bottom of the fuel tank which
    more or less gives you a "power assisted siphon", that way the pump is not working as
    hard because it is pushing the fuel with no effort. doing that I have a lot less noise and
    as the tank empties the pump noise gets gradually louder, almost like the car talking to you saying "feed me feed me"

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

or even better if you dont want to break down again go and buy yourself a peirburg pump , super quiet and will last 200000klm
    Dave

IWRNDU Automotive Encyclopaedia DQIKST's Avatar

i have a peirburg and they are absolutly awsome pumps never had a problem with it, although now im having a similar problems as you dana only with my VL pump,

ill be buying a new one tomoro,

cyaz
    ThE wOrLd GoEs RoUnD n RoUnD nOt Up N dOwN
    Daily 76' celica 1GGTE 1125kgs 13.7@ 91mph
    NOS= ITS LIKE A HOT CHICK WITH STD's YOU WANT TO HIT IT BUT ARE SCARED OF THE CONSEQUENCES

whats the gee-ooo with every one having chicks in there avatars
    1980RIP NATHAN BRETT DEAN2007,

I dont think its the pump giving me issues. The facet one went for 10 months with no problems. The no-name brand looks exactly the same but with out facet on it, it drove perfectly for the 1/2 hour it took to get home, and for the first 10mins the next day. So i dont think the pump is the problem, i think something else got upset in the whole dilemma, like something in the carbies.. maybe some dirt somewhere?
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)