Thread: calculating speed based on RPM, diff ratio and tyre size. bit of a guide.

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

Default calculating speed based on RPM, diff ratio and tyre size. bit of a guide.

hey guys, well a little earlier i was playing around with numbers trying to work out the best ways of dropping my RPM at highway speed.
    im running a 1ggte in a ke70 with W57 and 4.3 final drive alfa romeo lsd.
    at 110 she will sit at around 3500. which is just shit.
    so i was thinking, maybe i could drop it using tyres.
    wanting to drop it to around 2800 RPM.-
    so i set about playing with sums, and thought this may come in handy, so thought i would post it up. i will try to explain as best i can. without taking all day, or making it too messy.

so, let me begin:

ok, i gave up begining and did it in word to make it neat. heres a link to download the file
    http://www.esnips.com/doc/83fe059a-5...1/speed-vs-rpm

i have linked to any references i used. and have tried to explain things as best i can.

theres more i could add. but was getting a bit over it and its all just rearranging numbers really.

thought it may come in handy tho, for people wanting to see the result of changing tyres, gear ratios or diff ratios.

so feel free to add any comments or anything you would like to see added.
    i could add one about changing tyre size. as i did some playing around with that but couldnt be bothered to type all that up.

let me know what you think
    cheers, andrew
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: calculating speed based on RPM, diff ratio and tyre size. bit of a guide.

Nice work, some good info in there.

For those who are lazy, here is an online calculator that figures it all out for you:
    http://akb.norbie.net/Public/Gearing.aspx

Default Re: calculating speed based on RPM, diff ratio and tyre size. bit of a guide.

just realised, the key problem with that calculator is you have to trial and error your rpm to get a rpm value at a given speed....
    that said, i still did trail and error rather than math just then when checking something :embarassed:
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

that's an awesome calculator norbie, good work + rep
    beer me!

Quote Originally Posted by love ke70
    just realised, the key problem with that calculator is you have to trial and error your rpm to get a rpm value at a given speed....
    Hmmm, so you want to be able to enter a road speed and get the RPM in each gear? Shouldn't be too hard, I'll have a crack at it later in the week.

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Do any of these calcs take into account tyre rolling diameter? (always less than actual diameter).
    Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

shhhh!

the difference is likely negligible, and it will cause the speedo to read less than road speed, so its likely disregarded as part of that acceptable error.
    one must also look into the amount of tread on tyres...
    so many variables its only ever a close guess

Quote Originally Posted by Mos
    Do any of these calcs take into account tyre rolling diameter? (always less than actual diameter).
    I could add that variable if you can tell me how to calculate it! I have a feeling it's all about tyre pressure and vehicle mass though, which makes things way too complicated for a quick and easy calculator.

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

The way I saw it expressed on a tyre manufacturer's spec sheet was in percentage - ie 97% or whatever of the nominal diameter. I was trying to find a reference but couldn't.
    But yes, many variables that will affect that percentage.

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Junior Member Grease Monkey Cruiser97_80's Avatar

Here is another gear calculating tool

http://locost7.info/gearcalc.php
    1990 ST185 GT4 3SGTE
    1991 ST184 SX 3SGTE
    1991 SW20 GT 3SGTE
    1998 ST215 GTT 3SGTE
    2008 VDJ200 Sahara