Thread: 4AGZE AE-101 Stalling With FMIC

Junior Member Grease Monkey dave_101's Avatar

Default 4AGZE AE-101 Stalling With FMIC

Hey Everyone,

I recently put a FMIC onto my AE-101 gze and have a lot of problems with her hunting and stalling after she is warm.

I read somewhere just after I had it done that it was kinda common and decided to just put up with it for the time being. But now a few months down the track it’s starting to get really annoying. Seems to be doing it more now that its summer or that could be just a coincidence.

I could be wrong, but it seems like the ecu does not like that extra vacuum or something, I found a way to kinda settle it down by making sure I don't pull up at lights at high rpm with lots of vacuum. But that only helps 50% of the time, and when she’s been warm for a while it makes bugger all difference.

Also found that if I give the gas a slight tap at the peak of the hunting, it seems to bring her back to a steady idle. This is while stationary at a set of lights.

Even with the above methods of driving her, I still get a lot of hunting and a lot of stalling. I was really hoping that someone out there might know something I could do to reduce this or even possibly a fix. Maybe some kind of valve on the intake that I can open manually which will get rid of the vacuum?

I am open to any advice or opinions on this one, as I am not to sure what to do.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reply’s.

Dave

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 4AGZE AE-101 Stalling With FMIC

I had the exact same problem. In the end I adjusted the TPS and played with the idle control screw. I have also heard of people adding a second throttle butterfly before the intake manifold. I do remember hot days really SUCKING as the thing would stall as you coast into the traffic lights. Make sure you dont have any other vacuum leaks - cracked hoses, bad seals, incorrect connections.

As you suspect its to do with the extra distance the air has to travel after leaving the SC.

My Ultimate solution would have been an Air/Water intercooler - nice short lines, excellent cooling ability but with extra weight and plumbing. But I turboed instead
    Den - GTAE86
    Yellow 4AGTE - MR2 brakes - Corona LSD/Axle - Recaros - lotsa JDM - mesh 15's

As featured in Boost Magazine - Cool huh

Thanks for your fast reply Sprinter.

Man at the moment Brisbane is so bloody hot and humid, she is stalling every time I pull up at the lights. I just got a new stereo installed, which I can't really enjoy because I have to listen to the idle to try and stop her from stalling.

Going to talk to my mechanics with the ideas you suggested and see if they can put one of them in place, the second throttle butterfly sounds good. I would have liked to go air/water ic, but at the time it seamed cheaper for the air/air. Kind of kicking myself now.
    Last edited by dave_101; 01-02-2007 at 01:58 AM.

ditty man Grease Monkey

mine did this problem... i changed pumped up the throttle stop a little and reset the Tps and it fixed it..

You guys know any threads with info on reseting the tps in a gze?

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Not sure of any threads however it is virtually the same as the 4AGE TPS adjustment except the readings are slightly different (resistance across the 4 pins in the TPS). Do a search for Repository as all the manuals were online here at toymods
    Den - GTAE86
    Yellow 4AGTE - MR2 brakes - Corona LSD/Axle - Recaros - lotsa JDM - mesh 15's

As featured in Boost Magazine - Cool huh