Thread: hub rings for hotwires? do i need them

2sc Breaker!!!! Backyard Mechanic bmxer54's Avatar

Default hub rings for hotwires? do i need them

I have a set of 14x7 hotwires ill be putting on my ke30
    the centre bore on the hotwires is about 75mm and the standard toyota one is about 60mm (only roughly measured as i couldn't find my verniers)
    Am I going to need a locatong ring on the hub similar to the ones used in brake conversions?
    I'm sure the wheel will sit on the car but how much extra load am I going to be putting on the studs?
    A bit of a noob question I know but i get the feeling ill need to make up some rings to suit.

Cheers,

Peter
    My Rides:
    1x Brown St141 corona csx. powered by a gen 2 3sge, 1x RT142 turbo 1UZ, cd009 and G series, 1x Gj Sigma Scorpion injected and turbo'd, 1x KE30 2TG, w58 and F truetrac, 1x RT104 18RG, w58 and F truetrac

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: hub rings for hotwires? do i need them

To do it properly Yes you will need Hub rings, the wheel studs are not designed to take side loads which by fitting the hub ring it will transfer the load to the centre of the hub which is the way its designed to do ...

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Get an accurate measurement with a set of verniers and then go on eBay - you can get alloy (much better than nylon) hub rings for most of the major size combinations for $20-30 a set - at that price you'd be silly not to run them.
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Definitely run them. I had to wait a while to have some made up for my car and with them on it was a noticeable improvement to some vibrations in the front. Wheel studs only provide clamping force for the wheel against the hub and do not centre the wheel on the hub accurately.

14x7 hotwires are awesome and should be included in your ride thread.

NICE VIBE Backyard Mechanic marvis's Avatar

I've never run them. No problems.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jondee86's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: hub rings for hotwires? do i need them

Reality check. Why do wheel nuts have a cone face ? Because the cone face centres the wheel on the studs, and the studs are arranged symmetrically about the hub centre axis. Millions of sets of aftermarket wheels have been run without centering rings, but no huge history of failures. When the wheel nuts are correctly tightened, the wheel is clamped against the hub, and driving torque is transferred by friction between the wheel and hub surfaces. The stud is in tension, not in shear. Therefore, the centering ring does nothing to change the load on the studs.

If your wheel is so loose that it flops around and starts slotting the holes, then your centering ring will probably make sure that they all get slotted the same

Cheers... jondee86

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jondee86 View Post
    Reality check. Why do wheel nuts have a cone face ? Because the cone face centres the wheel on the studs, and the studs are arranged symmetrically about the hub centre axis. Millions of sets of aftermarket wheels have been run without centering rings, but no huge history of failures. When the wheel nuts are correctly tightened, the wheel is clamped against the hub, and driving torque is transferred by friction between the wheel and hub surfaces. The stud is in tension, not in shear. Therefore, the centering ring does nothing to change the load on the studs.

If your wheel is so loose that it flops around and starts slotting the holes, then your centering ring will probably make sure that they all get slotted the same

Cheers... jondee86
    Not all wheel take tapered cone nuts - some are "shank" style (as per a lot of OEM Toyota wheel nuts), which do centre the wheel to a degree but there is always a small amount of slop.
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Factory toyota wheels are designed hubcentric and just because you install aftermarket wheels and use tapered lugs, does not change this. The centre of whatever wheel you use is intended to be based on the hub not the lugs.

It's probably a fine point of difference and MAY have no real world consequences but if you are going to do the job properly, just do it properly and save yourself possible grief down the track. We are not talking about catastrophic failures here but annoying things like excess vibration that can't be balanced out because every time you fit the wheel, the balance points (if you rely on the lugs) is different. Locating on the hub is a single point that eliminates possible sources of location variation.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jondee86's Avatar

Question Re: hub rings for hotwires? do i need them

Quote Originally Posted by masterofsinanju View Post
    ... but annoying things like excess vibration that can't be balanced out because every time you fit the wheel, the balance points (if you rely on the lugs) is different.
    Digressing for a moment. Current practice is for the tyre fitter to balance the tyre and rim together. Then you take your nicely balanced wheel and fit it to your cast hub and worn disc rotor assembly. See the problem ? Years back there were wheel balancers that did the job with the wheel mounted on the car. That way you got a fully balanced assembly.

Cheers... jondee86

2sc Breaker!!!! Backyard Mechanic bmxer54's Avatar

My hotwires run shank nuts so ill be getting some rings thanks for all the help confirming my thoughts guys

Cheers,

Peter
    My Rides:
    1x Brown St141 corona csx. powered by a gen 2 3sge, 1x RT142 turbo 1UZ, cd009 and G series, 1x Gj Sigma Scorpion injected and turbo'd, 1x KE30 2TG, w58 and F truetrac, 1x RT104 18RG, w58 and F truetrac