Thread: How to check if it's a GEN2 3SGTE??

Beer anyone?? Domestic Engineer Just1n_mc's Avatar

Default How to check if it's a GEN2 3SGTE??

I'm going to pick up tommorow what i'm told is a GEN2 3SGTE motor and loom minus the intercooler. I currently run a GEN1 in my car and was wondering if there is any obvious way to check that the motor i'm buying is a GEN2 just by looking at it??

Cheers, Justin.

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

Default Re: How to check if it's a GEN2 3SGTE??

top mounted air to air intercooler,
    TWIN entry CT26 turbo
    What is autosalon? Sounds kinda homo.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooch
    It's extremely homo. Basically a whole lot of sh1t cars, with ugly wheels, and a lot of 16-20 year old rockstars with trendy mullets and gay shirts.
    Slayer Of Toymods Wookie Slayers

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

8 runner intake manifold with TVIS is probably the easiest to spot. The oil cooler, turbo cam cover etc are all different as well.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

the gen1 engine uses 2 separate cam covers. all gen 2 turbo engines use a single cam cover and have an oil to water cooler under the oil filter and bolted to the block with 4 screws. there are many versions of the gen 2 turbo engine. MR2 and GT4 have diffferent dipsticks, alternator brackets, front pulley, water pipes around block, thermostat outlet etc etc. depensing what you want to fit it to, some of these differences will be important.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic TA22 1MZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terryo
    there are many versions of the gen 2 turbo engine. MR2 and GT4 have diffferent dipsticks, alternator brackets, front pulley, water pipes around block, thermostat outlet etc etc. depensing what you want to fit it to, some of these differences will be important.
    so true, when building up my new 3SGTE engine, I went from a ST185 to a SW20 motor and the differences are huge. Cam cover, number 1 idler pulley, oil filter housing, water outlet at back of head, and the list goes on.

Simply put, as said by the others the cam cover will be the obvious choice with your gen1 having the 2 piece setup, where as the gen2 will have a one piece item