Thread: Celica RA65

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Celica RA65

hey just wondering is it possible to convert my 22RE from single cam to a twim cam? if so then how would i go about it? i'm sick of having a single cam engine, i was thinking of putting a new engine in it but i dont have loads of money so this way it may be cheaper... any ideas?

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Default Re: Celica RA65

No you cant.
    No such thing as a twincam 22R.

An upgrade for low $$s youve really only got two options.
    Turbo/Supercharge the 22R-E, or move up to a 1G-GTE.

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

*blink*

Have a quick look at wikipedia, or take the cam cover off your engine. A twincam conversion to a single cam head is so close to impossible that it might as well be. Absolutely everything would have to be changed, as there is no such thing as a 'bolt on' twincam head, and the machining work would be phenomenal. If you're bored with it, either:

A) Buy and install a 1G-GE (twincam 6, better, smoother engine)
    B) Buy and install a 1G-GTE (twincam 6 turbo. Better, much more powerful engine)
    C) Buy and install the 22R-TE turbo gear (EBAY from the US)
    D) Get serious and install anything from a 1UZ to a 2JZ-GTE

or (and I think this might suit you best)

E) Just buy a car that you like, and pay someone to make it faster if you're not happy with it.

Aside from all of the above, you might be best to look at option F: Instead of blowing that much money on building a car you can't drive to its limits, spend it instead on some serious performance driving tuition. A powerful car isn't fast, a fast driver is fast.

RM.

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

get into suspension mods with an ra65, would make it a weapon for the twisties.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Another option is to find an 18R-GEU from an RA63 Celica, which will bolt right in and of course it's a twincam. Good luck finding one though.

I agree with the above though, spend your money upgrading suspension and brakes until you can afford to swap in a real engine.

Obama Family Friendly Backyard Mechanic 74sLeeka's Avatar

like all these guys have said, keep saving. not alot of options without deep pockets
    that's what sucks about cars.. they're fun tho

price some 1g's.. and if you know you will never reach that sorta price tag, then put into something smaller like suspension, like these guys have said.

and unless you have some special "bond" with the car (most old skool celica drivers do) then look into something different. - keep it in the toyota family tho

cheers
    blake
    Rides:
    1974 TA22 Celica 2T-GEU - Gone
    1989 ST162R Celica 3S-GE - Stock Daily
    2005 Honda CB250 - New Toy

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

yea i'll probably get this engined turbocharged n work on the suspension n brakes n see how that goes. if thats not enough then i'm thinking of putting a 1jz in it. i dont really want to buy a different car i like this one. i just want it to perform better.

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

I have to admit, the RA65 is a pretty good platform - well balanced, but it needs some serious springs and shocks to remove the boatiness.

Your best bet would be to work out how fast you want to go, then decide if a turbo on the 22r is enough (probably not), or if you're looking at a 1g/1jz conversion.

Then you'll start considering if you're better off with an MA61 platform (like I did),which already has room for an I6 ingine under the hood, plus a tough gbox and diff. still crappy boaty suspension tho
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Midnight Mechanic Backyard Mechanic hybrid_turbo's Avatar

you could always get a 3TGTE (if you can find one) and then buy the JDM bell housing and
    crossmember for a TA63 Celica from Yahoo Japan auction..
    3xRA60's (one ga60)
    3x Supras (2x jza80- 1xma61
    EL XR6 Tickford
    AU Falcon, EX-Taxi Spec.
    VR Commodore...