Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for my high comp turbo gen 3 3sge

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Tips for my high comp turbo gen 3 3sge

As topic states - I am after some additional thoughts or maybe something i havent thought about for my project which is all but ready to setup on my gen 3 3sge (read non turbo jdm 3sge from st202 celica)

The following is a list of what I have at the moment and the setup i will be running. Keep in mind this is going into a standard chassised st162 front wheel drive celica:

* Gen 3 3sge - oem static compression ratio of 10.3:1

* Microtech LT10s ecu - running standard 3sge coil and igniter

* High Flowed T03 Turbo with steel wheel off a VL - 0.63 rear and T04D front compressor - internal wastegate with 7psi spring

* 3" mild steel dump pipe and exhaust with hi-flow cat, 15" resonator and high flow lukey turbo muffler

* Bosch 910 fuel pump running in series (ie being fed by) standard intank efi pump

* 4 x 550cc injectors from a series 5 rx7 13b turbo motor

* Modified gen 3 n/a fuel rail to accomodate injectors

* Malpassi rising rate regulator

* 450 x 300 x 76mm Intercooler

* 2.5" inlet piping from turbo to cooler to tb

* Steam pipe exhaust manifold made from 42mm ID long radius bends with collector, and flared piping to port match

* Turbosmart dual stage boost controller with standard (7psi) setting for low and 11psi for high

* One up from standard Exedy HD Clutch with a confirmed 30% more clamping pressure

* Custom 250x 150x 50mm Oil cooler

* Upgraded thermo fans to 2 x 12" ones switched by the microtech

* All relevant fittings\nozzles to accomodate turbo and cooling issues

* All other sensors etc will be oem 3sge ones (except air temp sensor which has currently been borrowed from a VS 5 litre and will be retained)

* Will be using penrite HPR semi synthetic 10w-40 oil

Tuning will be done obviously on a dyno to achieve an anticipated output of 250 front wheel hp on 11psi

This will all be fed to an open centre'd s54 gearbox from a 5sfe celica (which i am trying to source a 'cheapish' LSD centre for)

My theory is that given the smooth combustion chambers the gen 3 is known for, no internal mods should be required at this point to handle the 11psi, and with correct tuning with wide band on the dyno, should be safe to run on United 10% ethanol 98 RON fuel.

Everything bar the exhaust system is ready to 'bolt on' and then tune, so please feel free to add to this list anything that may be beneficial

In due time i am also hoping to pull the head off for a copper headgasket, o-ringing the block, porting the head, some slightly larger duration cams with stock valve springs, and a clean up of the combustion chamber.

Im hoping the cast pistons will be good for the above and an anticipated 300 fwhp on the same 11psi as will be originally run.

Cheers Guys

Mick
    st162
    Gen 3 3sge N/A - 146.3 front wheel hp (109fwkw ) -

NOW 178HP @ Front Wheels - N/A Gen 3

Soon to be hi-comp turbo'd....

Welcome to the Darkside! Automotive Encyclopaedia -==L=a=N=c=E==-'s Avatar

Default Re: Tips for my high comp turbo gen 3 3sge

everything looks alright, it really is going to come down to the tune and having good fuel all the time.

Any slight hint of detonation will be tragic for your high compression motor.

And your gearbox won't last very long at those sort of power levels.

thanks for that - yeah um im actually in the process of figuring out what to do with the box

im pretty sure the box will hold up with the 250 at the wheels - but anything more and i think ill start looking elsewhere - someone off here has just suggested i try source a gen 3 3sgte box from an mr2 with double synchros and LSD and this should withstand it?

Any thoughts?
    st162

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

the lsd mr2 is a good upgrade, its about as strong as your going to get for a 3sg/te running fwd format........ it will hold the power yes. 250hp you might be lucky, but it will go bang eventually.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Quote Originally Posted by BeRad
    the lsd mr2 is a good upgrade, its about as strong as your going to get for a 3sg/te running fwd format........ it will hold the power yes. 250hp you might be lucky, but it will go bang eventually.
    thanks mate - im assuming that you meant the standard s53/s54 box will be good for the 250 fwhp for the time being? I'll be happy if it lasts a couple of months while i get the other box organised cos they aint cheap (just been told they are about $1500)
    st162

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

yes the mr2 box is pricey and begining to be a little hard to find.....

what boost are you running to make the 250hp.... 250hp will break the box with a bit of silly buggers, i ran a camry box for over a year and had a little hp , and only damaged a syncro, but most smash within a few months.

i dont know if 11psi will give you 250hp.... but you never know.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Welcome to the Darkside! Automotive Encyclopaedia -==L=a=N=c=E==-'s Avatar

another thing i noticed, your going to be using the stock gen3 ignitor and coil?

with the higher compression, and the turbo, it might not be enough, probably won't know until you do it.

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

the double synchro box you're thinking of is the E153. It came out in the later model ST202's, but never the local ST204's IIRC. I'm guessing this is also the same box as the later model SW20 turbo. Apparently this box was also available in some version of the camry, but which one i couldn't tell you. I'm pretty sure toyospares down here in bayswater have a few of these E boxes around, but you'll have to point out to them that not all of them have LSD. They (and a lot of wreckers probably) reckon that all the E boxes have an LSD in them. Even if they did, I'm pretty sure the E box has a viscous LSD which wouldn't be very well suited to this application.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on the progress!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sw20r's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -==L=a=N=c=E==-
    another thing i noticed, your going to be using the stock gen3 ignitor and coil?

with the higher compression, and the turbo, it might not be enough, probably won't know until you do it.
    You might be right on that one..

The GEN 2 3SGTE ignition setup is breaking down for me at highboost - 19psi CT20b after 6,800RPM. new leads, dizzy, button, different spark plugs, timing and fueling has been tried. But I need to upgrade to a much stronger igniton setup. 200RWKW on stock ignition with 9:6:1 high compression 3SGTE is my limit before breakdown

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

Looks like its already been done man.
    http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s59283864

Those crazy japs... guessing by the flex plate i'm guessing it was an automatic too.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

personally, i'd ditch the malpassi for a 1:1 Rate Sard FPR or similar. With an aftermarket ECU, there's no need for a rising rate FPR as you can dial in as much injector duration as required.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Jaemus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndyTTR
    Apparently this box was also available in some version of the camry, but which one i couldn't tell you.
    from what ive read and recall, this would be the V6 camry from gen4 (i think 97-03), ie. the squarer one after the 'wide body' camry. MCV20. i think all V6 camrys from this point onwards had double synchro E153's, and certainly none of them have LSD, tho it can be fitted of course. however these are almost as hard if not harder to find than the MR2 boxes. probably cheaper if you do tho.
    1992 MR2 GT turbo
    2009 Lexus IS-F

Built Australia's first V6 MR2 >> Winner: "I'd Drive It" award - Toyfest '07

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

I run 17psi with 10:1 CR on the stock Toyota ignition with no issues.

Ditto on the Malpassi...great low pressure carbi regs but seems to always have probs with EFI?
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sw20r's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8
    I run 17psi with 10:1 CR on the stock Toyota ignition with no issues.

Ditto on the Malpassi...great low pressure carbi regs but seems to always have probs with EFI?
    but your no longer using a 3S right?

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Sorta, it's just 2 x 3S in a bit of a V

Actually, the UZ uses the exact same coil and ther same style leads but just much longer. I had the close the plug gap over 13psi but i was running a 1.1mm gap up until then. Closed it down to 0.8.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.