Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3S-GTE differences??

The Bling Garage Mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Wildsupra's Avatar

Default 3S-GTE differences??

Is there any differences between the heads on a 165 3S and a 185 3S? Are the intake and exhaust manifolds interchangable? And what are some first step upgrades for a 165 3S motor?
    Also what sort of boost should a stock 165 3S run?

Cheers
    Matty

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

Default Re: 3S-GTE differences??

no the heads are the same, dont no bout intake and zorst id say it would be pretty similar, for upgrades id say look at the turbo and perhaps freshen it up, then u can look at more boost, the motor will run 6 psi stock and the ecu will let u make 15 psi before it cuts u, it has the WTA cooler on it which is pretty good but upgrades would also be a FMIC and a bigger dump pipe of turbo prob 3 inch, i would also recomend changinf the headgasket perhaps putting a stronger one on it before u run into any troubles, say a stainless steel one, wat are your plans for the engine ?

Junior Member Carport Converter StuC's Avatar

185 had oil squirters in the block, 165 didnt. 185 also had twin entry turbo and thus is slightly different to the 165. A good upgrade is the 185 turbo and manifold(which is different due to the twin entry). Intake on the 185 also went over the top of the engine. A good upgrade for both is to use the st162 intake (gen1 3sge) as it runs behind and thus wont have as much heat soak. You may or may not want to remove TVIS when doing this.

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

also a good upgrade for turbo is wat mine has had done to it which is a full rebuilt and highflow using T4 internals, as the stock turbo is ceramic and wont handle much boost but all depending on wat the turbo is like i guess.

Junior Member Carport Converter StuC's Avatar

true, hi-flow is always good. But i think the aus spec 185 turbos had steel wheels. im pretty sure thats the case. either way, the twin entry is always going to be more responsive than a single and they can be picked up quite cheaply. So, ct26 twin hi-flowed will probably be capable of handling up to about 22psi or thereabouts. Otherwise get your hands on a ct20B and manifold from a gen3

Touching Automotive Encyclopaedia Aust162's Avatar

On a 165, the 7mgte ct26 is the best upgrade. both single entry.

Pretty sure i read somewhere that the gen1 and gen2 3sgte head's are different..

Waiting for Lance to chime in here
    *hearts* his 4age powered KE70 Panelvan!
    Hi, Im enthused about corollas..

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

when you say upgrades what budget do you have, i wouldnt bother with hiflowing the ct26 1200 bucks for around that price u can pick up a brand new ball bearing unit that will make more power of course it will cost you a bit more for new lines etc, so wat budget do these upgrades have to be in
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

The engine will be being put into a much lighter car than the celica, and no doubt will need to modified or messed with a little to make it fit, however the engine will need to remain as stock as possible until the car has passed engineering by the "pole eec". the turbo looks to be almost brand new and the engine has extremely low k's on it aswell. I think i will start with simple things like dump pipe for now until its passed engineering. Who knows how it is going to perform in the lighter car anyways, i may find 14-15psi is heaps

The budget has not been determined as yet, it will simply keep getting modified until it runs the times i want it too. Just would prefer not to waste money in the wrong areas, which is why im chasing some info on preffered mods.

Cheers
    Matty

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

to be safe id replace the hg to a metal item with new arp studs obviously, at the least if your going to run 14psi or so alot of guys find 14psi is fine on the stock hg but 50% of the time it will break after a while.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Yeah sounds like headgasket will be the first thing. At least that will allow me to fit manifold and bigger turbo as soon as im ready without any worries.

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

hopefully you wont make me do it?

the bling garage has alot of work to do matty

Eldar.O.

Welcome to the Darkside! Automotive Encyclopaedia -==L=a=N=c=E==-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wildsupra
    Is there any differences between the heads on a 165 3S and a 185 3S? Are the intake and exhaust manifolds interchangable? And what are some first step upgrades for a 165 3S motor?
    Also what sort of boost should a stock 165 3S run?

Cheers
    Matty

Yes, there are differences between the heads.
    uses different cams, difference sized valves and different castings. For example, you can't use ST185 cams in a ST165 head since they are differently sized.

The manifolds are interchangeable.

First step in upgrading a 165 motor. IMHO, is to sell it, and go straight to a st185 engine. They are so cheap these days from engine importers, i don't see why anyone would waste there time on the 165 engine unless they are inhibited by racing rules or the like.

The bottom end on a 165 isn't as strong as a stock ST185. The stock st165 bottom end is only good for around 10psi on the stock CT26.

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

The St165 also has smaller buckets in the head which precludes you from having decent cams ground for it. Sure a couple of company's have aftermarket cams for it but they have very little lift.

I have to agree with Lance, as much as I like the 3S the St165 engine is a nugget. The amount of work in putting it into anything significantly lighter than a ST165, other than a 162 I guess, is in no way worth the effort. The Gen 2 engine is so much stronger and more power productive it is not funny.

Are the 2 motors identical in physical size? and do they bolt up to the same mounts?
    Basically if i build mounts to fit my 165 motor in then later down the track bought a 185 motor would it be a simple bolt out bolt in situation?

The thing is i have the motor complete with everything ready to go, so i dont really want to go to the hassle of selling it then looking for another COMPLETE engine package.

Matty

Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wife Carport Converter hamgatan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wildsupra
    The engine will be being put into a much lighter car than the celica, and no doubt will need to modified or messed with a little to make it fit
    why do i get the impression im likely to bump into you again on malaga dve in a 3SGTE powered AW11 sometime soon?
    B7 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin' My Pimp Hand Strong
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and Unmolested!
    JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + LSD | Black Knight Still being Assembled
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V 1JZ-GTE + A340E | 270rwhp
    Z20Soarer.Org - The definitive resource for all xZ20 Owners.