Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3S-GTE differences??

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

Default Re: 3S-GTE differences??

though... only 10hp, and can be only slighty a few months newer.. i no where u r comin from but, personally i think the best jump comes from 3rd gen motor, would just kill to have one of those puppies,
    wats the average going price for halfcut for each gen ?

cruisin in a z30 Automotive Encyclopaedia -=DV=-'s Avatar

im sick of hearing so many people bad mouth 165 engines, my 165 has a turbo long past use by date, and a clutch that leaves alot to be desired and still embarrases WRX's and runs mid 13s at 1O psi, ive been running 12 psi for near 5O thousand ks and i havnt had a single problem except my turbo slowly dieing.as far as im concerned they are an awesome little engine, mine is always just begging to go and definately doesnt feel "choked"

GT-Four Pilot Backyard Mechanic SilverGhost's Avatar

owning a 185 and having driven a 165 on 2 occasions I can say that a 185 is a superior engine IMO, but not by as much as people would think. I think with engines as old as both the Gen1 & 2 it really comes down to how they are looked after, have they had a full rebuild etc.

I could jump in a 165 tommorow that blows the socks off my 185, but if you look at the design revisions that went into the Gen 2 (i.e. oil squirters, a more free flowing head etc) I would say that Its a more flexible motor that performs better over the whole power curve than its predecessor. Which means it can handle the extra weight of the 185 chassis and then some

The twin entry ceramic turbo spools up faster than the older ct26, and unless im mistaken has a bit more puff to it aswell, but without starting a flame war ill say here and now that If I couldnt afford a 185 (this was a couple years ago now ) , it would have been a 165 no questions asked. the ST16x shape is hot, they go like a scalded cat and not every knob shiner has one (thank god) because they are a motorsport icon and deserve respect.

I would like to see some more hot Gen 1 motors out there, cause the 'S' motor is a teh win, no matter what gen it may be.

my $0.02

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

wat bout hot 162s that look like 165s with 165 motors all im missing is rear wheel power
    but yeh agreed i think all 3 gens of 3sgte should all band 2gether

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Yes we keep hearing that the 165 motor is not as strong as the 185 motor , In my experience there is no difference in the strength of the two motors , However the 185 motor may produce more hp than the 165 motor on the same boost but that's got nothing to do with the strength of the motors it is to do with the state of tune of each motor , ecu , turbo ect !

Trevor.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

I hear that the gen4 3sgte cracks blocks around the 500HP mark.

Cousin who is driving an aw11 with beams 3sge is now looking at building up a 3sgte for serious horsepower i think he is planning on using his $25,000 credit card lol (idiot) but anyway i told him pick a gen, any gen 3sgte thats in good nick as a good base to build from, as i figured they were pretty well the same strength wise, only tuned diff with diff intake designs etc etc. (what you said TA22-3SGTE)

Was reading one of those car mags today (might of been "high performance imports" and the writer said the 3sge wasn't a real sports engine and was cloddy?! i'll have to read it again, but i felt like hunting the **** down, clueless shit. Anyway if anyone knows of any 3s engines forsale at the moment plz let me know i'm searching for 3 of them!!

cease striving Conversion King RobST162's Avatar

"wasn't a real sports engine!?"

time for a slapping for HIM..... sheeeeeeeesh... let's think... .Altezzas, JUN Drift Supras... GT-Fours... for starters! rofl what a nut

Breaker of all things aka Backyard Mechanic Chrisso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by urantia
    Anyway if anyone knows of any 3s engines forsale at the moment plz let me know i'm searching for 3 of them!!
    Where were you a couple of months ago! I had a gen1 that I sent to the scrap yard because I couldn't give it away!
    AE86 4 shades of silver - The Lone Ranger's steed is on the road again!
    AE86 shell - waiting for a donor car from the auctions.

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

What are the main differences between the ST185 3S-GTE and the ST185 WRC 3S-GTE?

Is it just the Turbo? And if so, what Turbo is on each one?
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...