Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: guests viewing my members rides thread

serial biochemist Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: guests viewing my members rides thread

Quote Originally Posted by 7MA61
    If you really want them to see it just send them your login details

Quote Originally Posted by 7MA61
    Or find another forum that doesn't have said restrictions and just quote everything on to there and then send them the link to that one
    that's also an option. In my experience, celicatech.com is an excellent website with great hosting facilities. It also has the added security of being in the states, therefore you're at less risk from the theives trolling members rides for tasty cars.
    your rep rating is not a reflection of your worth to the community

Quote Originally Posted by H1TMAN
    wtf? I want to do track racing, and f#@k you...
    that's very flattering but no thanks.

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

yes i know that 'going to another forums' or 'make your own website' are other options for some people.

i don't want to do this.

i would rather improve how the toymods forums works at the same time.

i do have another members ride thread at cressida forums, but i like my toymods one better.

its not only the pictures and posts i have made, but its the posts that other toymods members have made too that changes the 'flavour' of the thread, and made it my favorite.

i hope that the official line isnt "we dont care, go join another club if you dont like it here"

also the reasoning behind the members rides threads being what it is just doesnt make sense.

i know the mods have a lot of work to do, but as wagonist said in the other thread, he wants people to join just to view my members rides thread, isnt this increasing the workload? to the point of being rediculous when you expect people who are not interested in cars to join just to view one thread?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

i think it is more that the forum software does not have that ability implemented, and so it is not just a tick of a box away.

as said before, club members rides are for those people who don't want general forum members to look at their car/mods.
    forum members rides are for people who don't mind the rest of the forum looking at their car/mods.
    it is easy for you to demand that anyone in the general public be abel to see just your car in the members rides, but maybe not everyone else wants this?

if the code for the forum software has this option, to let your thread alone be viewable to the genearl public, then fine, but i still don't see how it is a big deal for you to copy the comments to another thread/site.

no-one is saying you have to join another club, no-one is saying that everyone who wants to find out details abotu your car has to become a forum member.

grow up and make a website for your car, copy the pictures and comments, and then you keep the "flavour".
    many people here have sites for their cars... i think my site was possibly around before toymods even existed

forums are not the only place ont he internet.... there was a time when forums didn't even exist in this format, so get over it.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Firstly in regards to the classified section not being available from the previous thread. If outside users see that Toymods has an extensive forsale section there is an element that will join purely to sell stuff. this made up a large portion of the forum members on the old forums. This lead to dodgy sales dodgy sellers and alot of wookies getting on to sell stuff and otherwise living in the outhouse creating trouble. This was giving the Club a bad impression both externally and Members were sick of it and members were getting driven away.

The New forums gave the opportunity to have more control over the forums and keep the wookie factor down and the information level up. Part of this was attracting people who wish to contribute to the forums not use it as a free classifieds or a general talk sh*t forum. Closing the forum to outsiders is part of this.

Now, that brings this to the Members rides section. The Club members section is closed to regular forum members much for the same reason as the Members rides is locked to the outside user. the Club members have a choice as to weather they wish there projects to be available to the rest of the forums or all of the "secret goodies" are in the Club section and a general blurb is in the Members rides. When the classifieds and the Non-Car discussion were closed the board made a decsion to close the members rides as well as a saftey measure.

The reason being, basically there are alot of threads that have un-edited photos of their cars that contain their number plate, enough information for a general suburb in the text and in a few cases phone numbers can be found. enough information about the car, the general whereabouts, and how many goodies that can be swapped in to another car. Not everythread is like this but there enough to be of concern After Stitts Wagon and a few other attempted thiefts and specific parts being stolen from garaged cars. the Board decided to protect the members who unknowingly provide this kind of info by simply keeping it within the forum circle.

I have had the issues of showing people threads and not being able to send a link.

I can bring this up at the next board meeting for discussion for the Members Rides section only as the other areas a (I believe) justified being private.

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

"I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

I think Lambolica's explaination has been the most thorough, and brought to my attention the fact that there are indeed unedited photos and the like which could be used against the vehicles owner... so yeah, after considering that, then I do definitely agree with your statements.

Perhaps, if its not that much of a bother, there could be section for summaries of members rides?? where people can put edited photos and summary information?? Dunno if thats just more work for the mods, or if its just as easy to get some of Oldcorollas free web space and do it that way...

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Toymods Board Member Domestic Engineer Kirsty2520's Avatar

Owen,

Everything on these forums is more work for the mods,
    Another section with then just give us another section to moderate
    Personally I have enough trouble keeping up now tryng to read and moderate it all and the others All work so it is even harder for them to keep up
    RIP Nathan Dean. You Will be Missed.
    Life is like Chocolate..... without the bitter, the sweet means nothing.
    Fact of life...After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F !!
    Never allow someone to be your priority while you are just their option