Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bagged IRS in Hilux

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Bagged IRS in Hilux

I'll be attempting to put a complete irs setup out of a 86 corona into a hilux rear chassis.. It will be modified to suit with air suspension. I think the mid 80s celicas, supras and 1uz crown used the same similar irs rears... All I would like to know is the gvm's of the cars of which this same irs rear came ot of... Reason for this is to be approved by engineering because it a passenger vehicle suspension going into a light commercial truck.. The weights of the cars have to be equal to or heavier than the hilux..

Thanks once again.. Cheers

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: Bagged IRS in Hilux

Dont use that IRS.
    Its semi-trailing arm IRS and its very average.

You are better off with a double wishbone setup.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Yeah. I know its mot a great irs choice but will do to get the thing laying rails on the ground.. A mate has a later model supra rear... I got a complete corona for $600 just to do the efi conversion for the 22r and measured the irs hub to hub face and its pretty much spot on the money for wheel track width, so i thought why not.. Where as the later model supra rear is alot wider.. This irs is very similar to the older rx7 rears which get used in bagged trucks in japan and amercia quite often.. They arent nothing flash for power delivery, But it wont be putting out crazy amounts of hourses either, it is going to be used only to get the rig on the ground pretty much...

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    Dont use that IRS.
    Its semi-trailing arm IRS and its very average.
    Read: why would you bother wasting your time , If you are going to that much effrot at least put something good in...!

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    Dont use that IRS.
    You are better off with a double wishbone setup.
    Better idea

Cheers
    Wilbo

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

If you've got the bags and want to be able to change ride height etc. all the time, then swing arms will cause horrible alignment changes - you don't want your ride to look like a badly lowered IRS Commodore do you?

I have a Grease Monkey mr2janai's Avatar

Yeah the RX7 rear irs is simple to install...kinda. Any IRS with a nice solid sub frame will work well with a bag set up. Another common one is Silvia IRS.
    As with IRS you cant do much with the track you may want to make sure you almost have the same track.
    Another hint if the IRS is out of a heavier (also 5stud) vehicle you should find it easier to get engineered than a Corona IRS with 4 stud.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Forget the Corona idea simply on kerb weight they only weigh around 1100kg.

An S13 setup would be way too light as well not to mention they still suffer plenty of negative camber issues too.
    Last edited by RONA; 09-01-2007 at 11:46 AM.
    If in doubt power out

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic DLA11D's Avatar

Mate get onto DUT, Other truckers will be able to tell the best way to set this up. And point you in the right direction.

tilting at windmills Carport Converter Ben Wilson's Avatar

It might be worth looking into a 300ZX rear end - They seem to be for sale fairly regularly.
    Strange things are afoot at the circle K

neg camber all round looks sweet when layed out... Im aware of the drastic camber changes, it even gets a bit of toe in when layed out, I've got the complete cradle out on the ground to take measurements from and set up for installation..

But all wanted to know is the WEIGHT of the vehicles this irs came out of (for engineering )... Not a IRS i should be using... I know of the others, and I would love to use em but, this is what i've got on hand.. Cheers for the input..

Anyways this irs cost me nothing, will be easy to convert to 5 stud, and will be easy to mount and i dont have to modify the wheel track to suit the hilux, where as in most ones that have been listed you have to.. Which will be even more harder to pass engineering.. ESP in qld..

I'll be mounting the bags on the arms, and a right height computer will take care of the height of the truck and the way it handles. And it will be mounted so at ride hieght, which will be set at the rails 150mm off the road it wont have any neg camber, and a nice "cruising" height say 100mm it will have 2 degrees of camber, which would be beneficial for cornering.. But once again its not a performance machine... These silly little trucks are mostly for cosmetic looks.

Thanks heaps fellas.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blinga_22rte
    But all wanted to know is the WEIGHT of the vehicles this irs came out of (for engineering )... Not a IRS i should be using... I know of the others, and I would love to use em but, this is what i've got on hand.. Cheers for the input..
    MA61 supra is ~1250kg as listed by toyota. I'm pretty sure this will be the heaviest with that IRS.

MX73 irs is very similar (and I doubt and engineer would be able to tell the difference) and I think the MX73 is slightly heavier (~1280kg?)...

Cheers
    Wilbo

Cool thanks bud.. Going to take the hilux to a weigh bridge tomorrow.. Its got the tray off it so should be a lot lighter. Haha... The weigh bridge cert will also be going in the engineers report... The lighter i can get my ute the better..

Thanks..

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

MX73 is 1360kg on paper, but closer to 1500kg on a weigh station.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

What about the Crowns? Engineer probably still wouldn't know the difference, and surely they'd be a bit heavier again...

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Pube's Avatar

Whats wrong with using a live axle? It would be cheaper and easier therefore you could spend more money on some bling bling that most people would actually notice, rather than an anceint IRS setup.
    SOLD : 1GGTE Rt142 Corona - Twin TD04-9b turbos - 180rwkw = 13.1 @105mph