Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: st205 brakes onto aw11. Legal issues?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Default Re: st205 brakes onto aw11. Legal issues?

do i just get onto the tech dpt. through the rta?
    Yep, in Dickson. Long time since I have been but i think it was on the second floor above the shop front bit (just follow the signs or ask at the main counter).

PS. Let me know if the tech dept still has the same service setup where you walk up to an empty counter and a sign says to call on the phone on the counter. You pick up the phone and it goes through to a staff member sitting on the other side of some steel shelves i.e. about 1m away from where you are standing. They ask what you want and then walk around the shelves to the counter to serve you.

I thought that system was a classic, so Public Service like

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

sorry not to contribute to the tech side of the thread, but do you really beleive you need such a brake upgrade?

Junior Member Grease Monkey safeforever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feral4mr2
    sorry not to contribute to the tech side of the thread, but do you really beleive you need such a brake upgrade?
    yep, upgrading to 4agze with my goal being 150rwkw.
    also parents have told me that they won't let me get the new engine without a brake upgrade (sigh), hence why i'm doing it now when you could say that i dont really need it.

The Aus Spec ST185 GrpA GT4 front brakes are a significant upgrade from the standard AW11 brakes too (would easily keep any engineer happy and most drivers too, might not satisfy your parents though ).

May be worth considering? As that will give you front brakes larger than any factory spec AW11 4AGZE came with and it's a bolt on affair for the calipers and I believe the disc fits without too much work too (it's been written up on this site).

I'm just not keen on the idea of modifying the rear caliper like that bloke in your link has done - no matter how well it appears to be welded.

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

you realise 4agze and 4age mr2s (assuming 86+) have the exact same brakes in them ?

one option would be ae92 twinky calipers are these use the same rotor/pad but have a slightly larger piston diameter.
    another option is ST185 twin pistons (which is what i have)
    or st185 single pistons.

all are much more of a bolt on upgrade rather then a complete rethink.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

The ST205 fronts seem to be a fairly bolt on affair, and to be honest if i had a 2 i would probably pick them over the 185 gear.

That said, the rear setup which they have there looks dicey as. Which im quite scared about.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

id be really skeptical of redrilling the holes in the rotors. a pair of the holes are concerningly close to each other.. i couldnt imagine an engineer would be too happy approving that.

realistically the stock items really do work a treat with good rotors and pads in them.

AE92 Superstrut brake upgrade redrills them fine and i had no problems with mine in 2 years, and many others have had similar experiences.
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I'd go for the ST205 setup too if I had it/access to it and owned an AW11 because as you said it's a bolt on affair for the calipers too.

I was merely just posting up another option that may not have been known/thought about by this guy.

I think good brakes are a must and it's good to see someone pursuing such an ample setup.

But yes that rear setup + welding = concern. I am sure there must be other options.

would that be redrilled from 4x100 to 4x114.3 im guessing ? with that you can space the holes out fairly comfortably but with 5x100 to 4x100 you end with a pair of holes quite close to each other. i cant say id be a fan of having them that close.

Just remember it's the spigot and not the wheels studs that take most of the load from the disc.

Quote Originally Posted by TooF
    would that be redrilled from 4x100 to 4x114.3 im guessing ? with that you can space the holes out fairly comfortably but with 5x100 to 4x100 you end with a pair of holes quite close to each other. i cant say id be a fan of having them that close.
    Nope, its the AE101 superstrut brakes to AE92 fronts. You use the superstrut calipers, and machined down ST185 GT4 discs redrilled to 4x100.

fair nuff, ive never looked into it..

but again how would an engineer go about approving these redrilled items ?

Junior Member Grease Monkey safeforever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    The Aus Spec ST185 GrpA GT4 front brakes are a significant upgrade from the standard AW11 brakes too (would easily keep any engineer happy and most drivers too, might not satisfy your parents though ).

May be worth considering? As that will give you front brakes larger than any factory spec AW11 4AGZE came with and it's a bolt on affair for the calipers and I believe the disc fits without too much work too (it's been written up on this site).

I'm just not keen on the idea of modifying the rear caliper like that bloke in your link has done - no matter how well it appears to be welded.
    yeah the rears as in that link do concern me a little bit, so i have been looking around for a different idea for the rear brakes, but so far haven't found anything too impressive other than just putting gze brakes on it.

any chance someone could possibly pass on a link to the st185 GT4 upgrade for the rear? i do like the idea of a more bolt-on approach.
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TooF
    fair nuff, ive never looked into it..

but again how would an engineer go about approving these redrilled items ?

Perfectly fine, my engineer (John Wilson mentioned earlier) was given photos of the entire build of the car, and was happy with all of it. Wanted to make sure that it coudl stop though, so i did 12 (was supposed to be 10 but i lost count) hard brakes from 100-10.

It has also been approved a LOT of times in QLD, NSW and Vic by different engineers. Ill find the writeup off twincam.

EDIT:
    The setup

Writeup:
    http://www.twincam.info/index.php?showtopic=1063