Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Supercharger upgrade for 4AGE--> eaton M90

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

Default Re: Supercharger upgrade for 4AGE--> eaton M90

hahahahaha

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

I would like to play with a twin screw charger on the 4AGZE. I really don't see a point to centrifugal chargers as they seem (in my opinion) to be the worst of both worlds (the lag of a turbo with the parasitic drag of a belt driven supercharger).

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic benjamin's Avatar

an eaton m62 would be much better on a 4ag than a m90. There are a few m62 on ebay (worldwide though) and seem to be going for around $4-600 US.

If anyone is interested the Lysholm 1200 is available from Harrop Engineering in victoria and is $2960 inc GST - thats without any pulley extensions... Then the Autorotor which is probably the best suited supercharger for the 4ag is the 2087 model and is $3245 which is available from these guys http://www.hi-flow.com/HP6Super.htm

I have been checking all of these out and really I am just trying to justify spending that much money...

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Im in the process of installing a whipple 1200ax sc to my aw11, just getting some injectors and then the bypass valve and vaccuum actuator and then its ready to go on...

on that note, does anybody know of any other suppliers that would have a bypass valve/vacuum actuator other than starr performance in sydney? they are apparently the only supplier of whipple products in Aus
    they have them on CAPA's website too, but im not completely sure if all the bypasses are the same, I assume they would be though
    Last edited by pjaw11sc; 14-03-2006 at 12:41 PM.

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Far as I know, the bypass valve works in essentially the same way as a BOV, so you could either adapt one to suit, or give me a drawing and I'll machine one for you. Dare I ask what one of their bypass valves is worth?

RM.

It is essentially the same, but i don't want to take the chance of using one as the previous owner of the kit used the stock 4agze abv and seized two sc's, so i would rather get a propper one to avoid that happening to me.
    the price listed on starr performances site is $265, plus whatever it would be to get it to adelaide

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic benjamin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pjaw11sc
    Im in the process of installing a whipple 1200ax sc to my aw11, just getting some injectors and then the bypass valve and vaccuum actuator and then its ready to go on...

on that note, does anybody know of any other suppliers that would have a bypass valve/vacuum actuator other than starr performance in sydney? they are apparently the only supplier of whipple products in Aus
    they have them on CAPA's website too, but im not completely sure if all the bypasses are the same, I assume they would be though

Harrop engineering quoted me a Bolt on Vacuum operated bybass when I got the price for the 1200ax. It was $157.30 including GST.

Where did you buy your whipple 1200ax from and how much was it?? Do you have any photos?

SC14'd Member Domestic Engineer nick.parker's Avatar

Hi,
    Harrop is the cheapest I found, I used the 'Magnusson' ($150 from Harrop as above ) bypass valve on my AW11's SC14 setup. The valve is a 1.25" throttle blade with vacuum actuator.
    It is the same valve used on some OEM Eaton setups. Most places sell them for more than Harrop. The valve has worked without fault for the last year on my car. One thing to watch is my alloy casting was a bit shitty and I had to grind a little piece over because the actuator arm could snag on it and leave the valve stuck open.

Edit: I just remember a cheaper option I explored for a vacuum bypass valve. It was using a plastic Bosch Turbo blowoff valves, these are OEM on some Saabs and Porsches.
    Can't remember that part numbers, but Google for them. Some People were using these on supercharged Harley Davidsons, they were worth around $40 a piece.

Cheers, Nick
    Last edited by nick.parker; 14-03-2006 at 05:37 PM.
    == 4AGZE SC14 Supercharged ==
    Now flogg'n the SC14 @ 18psi....

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

subscribes to thread...

i'd love to hear how you guys get on with the twin screws , and methods of setting up, elec clutch etc etc....
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by nick.parker
    Hi,
    Harrop is the cheapest I found, I used the 'Magnusson' ($150 from Harrop as above ) bypass valve on my AW11's SC14 setup. The valve is a 1.25" throttle blade with vacuum actuator.
    It is the same valve used on some OEM Eaton setups. Most places sell them for more than Harrop. The valve has worked without fault for the last year on my car. One thing to watch is my alloy casting was a bit shitty and I had to grind a little piece over because the actuator arm could snag on it and leave the valve stuck open.
    The 1.25" is a little small i think i was informed that the 1.6 would be the best one to go with.

Edit: I just remember a cheaper option I explored for a vacuum bypass valve. It was using a plastic Bosch Turbo blowoff valves, these are OEM on some Saabs and Porsches.
    Can't remember that part numbers, but Google for them. Some People were using these on supercharged Harley Davidsons, they were worth around $40 a piece.

Cheers, Nick
    Sounds like an idea, but i dont really want to run the risk of seizing the sc like the previous owner, so i will probably go with the 'propper' bypass valve for peice of mind

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin
    Harrop engineering quoted me a Bolt on Vacuum operated bybass when I got the price for the 1200ax. It was $157.30 including GST.

Where did you buy your whipple 1200ax from and how much was it?? Do you have any photos?
    I'll have to look up Harrop on the net, thats a pretty good price.
    I have a photo of all the stuff i got when i bought the sc, because i was going to sell it, but i think i have changed my mind.

I bought the 'kit' from the U.S. A guy had pretty much done all of the fabrication on his aw11 but kept seizing the sc's because of his bypass, he gave up on it so i bought all the stuff from him, it cost me all up roughly $2000 to get it here and get it through customs

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

ahh you bought THAT kit!
    nice work

his issue was that he mounted the SC vertical, and the oiling of the SC gears was not good... iirc?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

SC14'd Member Domestic Engineer nick.parker's Avatar

Bypass too small? That depends on how you use the SC. The stock bypass is half the size of the one I am using (Harrop), I used a larger bypass to see if it would improve n/a power with the supercharger off (i.e. cruise). Since my SC is clutched and yours isn't I would think I need the same or bigger bypass, as I have to direct all the engines air around a stalled or slowly spinning supercharger(because of slight pressure differential) . I have set my SC clutch to turn on a 70kPa (absolute pressure), this gives smooth engagement i.e. no nasty kick in the back at engagement. So my bypass is only required below 70kPa anyway.

Twin screws most often seem to fail in high vacuum situations because there is very high heat buildup which expands the alumininium rotors, and with the ultra tight clearance interfence and SC can death follow. The bypass somehow prevents this happening - obviously related to air having a different path to use..dont know why...but the point is your SC is always turning, so your bypass is surely there for a different reason - stop the SC overheating.

On that note the twinscrews can also fail if whatever you bolt to the outlet / mounting flange is anything more than a few thou within flat, again due to expansion / distortion issues.......so beware since you friend had problems with this setup.

Cheers, Nick
    Last edited by nick.parker; 14-03-2006 at 09:47 PM.
    == 4AGZE SC14 Supercharged ==
    Now flogg'n the SC14 @ 18psi....

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

well both times he seized the blower was when he was cruising on the highway, which would pretty much suggests that it was an inadequite bypass which caused it, due to the spinning sc at that speed in a sence choking on its own air.
    On that note the twinscrews can also fail if whatever you bolt to the outlet / mounting flange is anything more than a few thou within flat, again due to expansion / distortion issues.......so beware since you friend had problems with this setup.
    I hadnt heard of anything like this before

Junior Member Grease Monkey bassy's Avatar

4agze bypass valves are those bosch ones correct? retail is about $60. They are made out of plastic.

matt