Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiring in Thermo's using the stock temp sensor?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: Wiring in Thermo's using the stock temp sensor?

wow, a 1997 model with leather all for under 17grand! Thats an insanely good price.

Ive seen a few up here for around 20grand. Stocka's with leather, rims and sunroof. If you ask me, a very good buy for the money. At least you can drive the car before you buy. One of the downfalls of importing a car i spose.

Thanks for the offer regarding the switch, but i thought i needed it straight away so i went and bought one, but now since Penrith Toyota didnt send the parts until thursday i wont receive them till monday or tuesday. So much for me geting the car started this weekend

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

i dont know if its the same with the aristo, but putting thermos in my mx83 i will need to make sure that the thermos will come on with the aircon as well.

at the moment my thermos are on permanently coz i am lazy, but ill get to it one day.
    i am getting one of those readiator hose peices that site in the radiator hose (you cut the hose its like a joiner) it has a hole for a thermo switch, then ill get a switch that turns on and off with the right temp and wire it to the relay.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PlacentaJuan
    i dont know if its the same with the aristo, but putting thermos in my mx83 i will need to make sure that the thermos will come on with the aircon as well.
    Its the same with every car.
    Aircon condensors (evaporators?) overheat while being used but no air flowing through them.

I've gotten around this by hooking up an MA61 aircon thermo fan to the IDL pin on the TPS.

So when ever the car is idling, the fan is on (originally hooked it up to keep the tranny cooler cool, but it will double as aircon cooler when i get it gassed).
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

cool idea.

i have no rrom for extra fans if i had known how much hassle the a/c has caused me i would have gotten a smaller intercooler

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Now that i have thermos i guess i had better figure out what sort of setup to use for the thermo switch
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Not just a regular Backyard Mechanic ProjectSleeper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PlacentaJuan
    cool idea.

i have no rrom for extra fans if i had known how much hassle the a/c has caused me i would have gotten a smaller intercooler
    Bahhh Wash your mouth out !!, Smaller Intercooler - pfft.

I have had mine come on with the Air Con automatically and it keeps the condensor pressure (temperature) nice and steady. The additional front mounted thermo is still triggered to come on when the pressure rises to the factory "OMG I'm getting too hot" level, but it has never come on so far as the twin 14" fans are more than adequate to do the job..

Also, I have had a mate make up some of those radiator hose temp probe mounts that are heaps more subtle than the ones that you buy.. I did not want a bright red or green one in my engine bay, so he made me one up from stainless steel and then tigged a plate on to mount the thermocouple.

He is going to make a few more - so I will have maybe 5 or 6 for sale soon - about $30 each I think.. here is what they look like (installed) I forgot to get pics of it before I installed it, but it does have ridges at the start of the pipe to stop the hose from slipping off..

Last edited by ProjectSleeper; 07-01-2007 at 12:34 AM.