Thread: Classic Challenge April 28-29

Old Skool Enthusiast Domestic Engineer GeneSPIDA's Avatar

Post Classic Challenge April 28-29

I'm interested in trying to enter the following event this year. Not sure if anyone's interested, but could be fun to try for those interested in competing?

It seemed reasonably cheap to enter (compared to Dutton or Targa events), and a bit of variety of courses over 2 days.

http://www.classicrally.com.au/

Classic Challenge event (April 28-29): http://www.classicrally.com.au/classic_challenge.htm

This is the entry information from last year:

Full details of participant requirements as Supplementary Regulations will be sent to successful applicants, along with all other documentation. You can refer to the AEM website for details on past years of this event.

Entry fee is $365 per person (minimum 2, limited to legal seating capacity in the car). A $300 deposit must be included with your application. Act quickly, because the event has been sold-out in past years. A full refund will be made to applicants not accepted or withdrawals up to a month prior (after which a sliding scale applies). This application does not infer acceptance of a car or driver. A Reserves list will be kept for late entries which may replace withdrawals prior to the start of the event.

Gene
    SPIDA - 1974 TA22 Celica (2TGEU 1600cc with Garrett GT25 320HP turbo) Dyno - 168.9HP at 10PSI, 14.8 sec quarter (so far)

TECCWA Member | Drag Run Videos

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Default Re: Classic Challenge April 28-29

Did you read this?
    "ENTRIES NOW CLOSED - full list & spectator details to appear in the next day or so."
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Dammit, foiled by the old "it's 2007 now numbnuts" routine.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Grease Monkey glytch's Avatar

Hmmm looks like it may be a bit of fun. I'd be up for that. Just need to find someone who will be willing to pay as a passenger
    RA40 Coupe - Even more Turbo beating ponies.

"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

Talking Re: Classic Challenge April 28-29

Hehe - yep, it's 2007 now, and they haven't put those details up yet.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'm sure I/we could find someone willing to pay to be a passenger. I'll start putting the idea out soon and see. Not sure whether I'm willing to share the driving of SPIDA though, otherwise it could be even more attractive a proposition to someone.

I think my brother will be keen, as long as he can save the money by then.

Gene
    SPIDA - 1974 TA22 Celica (2TGEU 1600cc with Garrett GT25 320HP turbo) Dyno - 168.9HP at 10PSI, 14.8 sec quarter (so far)

Turbo powa 1st year Apprentice _ShadowZ's Avatar

Gene if you need a 120kg passenger I'll be up for it. I'll just take holidays and get paid for two weeks anyway.

"Left. No i mean right *snicker, snicker*."

i've done some work at classic rally in the past. It's a really great event. lots of cool cars.
    _ShadowZ
    1991 Toyota Camry SV21 GT-2. [SV 21 WA] with 3SGTE, gt-4 box, microtech, E-Boost 2, blah, blah, blah."Now with new turbo."
    1991 Subaru Liberty RS turbo. [BD 45 WA] with 96 WRX conversion, LSD diff, VF12, 11psi, Possum Borne ECU, upgraded brakes.

Stoopid subaru oil filter location.

Thumbs up Re: Classic Challenge April 28-29

Quote Originally Posted by _ShadowZ
    Gene if you need a 120kg passenger I'll be up for it. I'll just take holidays and get paid for two weeks anyway.

"Left. No i mean right *snicker, snicker*."

i've done some work at classic rally in the past. It's a really great event. lots of cool cars.
    Cool, I'll keep you updated as I get closer to deciding whether to go for it, and depending on how my brother goes. And Luke might be looking for a passenger too, so if I don't have the "seat", he may do too.

Gene

Question Re: Classic Challenge April 28-29

Just looking, there seems to be only 1 Superkhana Day at the Speed Dome, which is used in the Classic Challenge on the 4th of February...

Wonder if it's worth considering entering that to "prepare"?

Junior Member Conversion King deviant's Avatar

Hmm I might be interested in this event. Looks like a 'proper' tarmac rally but with a fraction of the costs!!

I cant really tell from reading that page but are there closed road sections? If so are these 'flying' sections or just closed for navigation between competative sections?
    Quote Originally Posted by S2K
    Would a VTEC limiter be a helpful device?

Post Re: Classic Challenge April 28-29

They have updated the information a bit in the last day or so (It's now May 5/6):

http://www.classicrally.com.au/classic_challenge.htm

From what I've seen, and to my knowledge, there are several (non-race) drives between where actual racing occurs, and the fast stuff happens on closed circuits such as the Speed Dome, AHG and perhaps places like Wanneroo or Collie (that's only a guess though).

Last year the car could run twice, with both driver/navigator running stages. This year, a car only does a stage once, but either driver/navigator can drive.

And there is an overnight stay.

I don't think there are any closed road stages, but I could be wrong. But I think it's far less full-on than Targa West, even if there are any stages that use closed roads.

Gene

Turbo powa 1st year Apprentice _ShadowZ's Avatar

When I was helping out they had some really cool stages. They had a hill climb event near some dam (forgot the name), and an event at some weird track, only about 500m long, out and back sort of thing. and of course the burswood stage, and a few others I didn't go to.
    _ShadowZ
    1991 Toyota Camry SV21 GT-2. [SV 21 WA] with 3SGTE, gt-4 box, microtech, E-Boost 2, blah, blah, blah."Now with new turbo."
    1991 Subaru Liberty RS turbo. [BD 45 WA] with 96 WRX conversion, LSD diff, VF12, 11psi, Possum Borne ECU, upgraded brakes.

Stoopid subaru oil filter location.

Thumbs up Re: Classic Challenge April 28-29

Yeah, I'd really like to give it a go, and have some fun. I doubt I'd be really competitive as such, but I think it would be great fun.

Especially trying a few different types of courses/events.

Gene

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

I've competed in a few Classic Challenges - they are far removed from what they used to be. Unfortunately, they tend to lack time management and real excitement anymore, and for the money you'll spend entering, I personally would choose to spend it elsewhere - there are cheaper, better events out there. Added to that, the requirement for a "co-driver" who basically does nothing I feel is also a waste of money.

Junior Member Conversion King deviant's Avatar

Its good to read a comment form someone who has entered in the past.

I was all up for it but interest started to waiver as I read more in to it and saw it wasnt going to be as budget as I hoped...Its a lot of work for the car over a weekend and entry fees alone make it over $700!!
    Quote Originally Posted by S2K
    Would a VTEC limiter be a helpful device?