Thread: AE101 Levin calipers onto AE86

Extreme Procrastinator Grease Monkey PuGZoR's Avatar

Default AE101 Levin calipers onto AE86

Hey all,

Just wanted to know if anyone had done this conversion. Asked on AE86drivingclub, but nothing incredibly useful has come up other than some discussion about discs. Basically we know that the stock discs (274mm, and 4x114.3) are too big by a bit to fit 15's, and unsuitable stud patterns, but other than that there's been little discussion about the bracket needed other than it needs to be a custom job. If anyone's got a DBA number of suitable discs even, that'd help, and dimensions for a bracket would be fricken awesome, however unlikely, lol. Hell, if someone has a pair to sell that'd be top stuff.

Discuss!

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Default Re: AE101 Levin calipers onto AE86

Why bother? The AE101 discs are 4x100 not 4x114.3, and the superstrut conversion will fit under 15" rims but only if you do use a smaller caliper mount a-la the AE92.

If you are after bang for buck then sourcing LN106 calipers and Peugot discs is cheaper than sourcing even the Superstrut calipers let alone the GT4 discs. If money is less of an object then the S4 RX7 calipers adapt up to most things very nicely.

Anyway from memory the Peugot 604 disc shoudl fit perfectly, 20mm wide. But making up all the brackets for the Superstrut calipers seems very pointless when you may as well make them up for the RX7 calipers (probably easier to find S4/5 calipers too).
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

I briefly looked at doing this years ago, but soon decided it wasn't worth the effort when you can pick up Nissan 4 potters so cheaply anyway.

Are you absolutely sure that the AE101 Levin discs are that size, because putting them ontop of the AE86 ones, they're definatly more spaced...

So what's the easiest possible brake conversion then? I suppose the one with the least amount of bracket making would be ideal, or something that's at least on the same/similar level as the AE86 bracket would be good.

See, I got AE101 Levin calipers and everything with my halfcut, so that's why I was wondering if they can be converted, just to save a few coin....

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

This:
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13803
    Is the cheapest brake conversion you can do. Without the suspension bits it comes out to around $300 a side.
    A lot of which you can get back by selling the Superstrut calipers to someone with an FWD AE82/92

And yes, the AE101 discs are 4x100 PCD not 4x114.3 as you would want for the AE86. Plus im pretty sure that the hat height would be out. The reason that they look so similar is that the AE86 uses a rearmounted disc, wheras the AE101 slips over the top. If you rearmount the superstrut disc then it will foul on the strut.
    Last edited by takai; 10-11-2006 at 08:03 AM.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

I ended up getting TBS to make up some sweet brackets for me. Cost $300 per bracket because of the amount of stuffing around needed (fair enough), and $250 for a new set of discs too. Because of my wheels (Simmons 2 piece) they fit massive 278mm, slightly modified Mondeo rotors on with the AE101 calipers shaved a little bit to stop hitting the welded bolts that hold the wheel together. Looks fricken scary compared to the stock brake setup. I'll take a comparison picture soon, and if anyone needs measurements of certain parts of the caliper brackets I got made, send me a pm and I'll get my micrometer out for you.

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

anyone got a pic of these calipers?

There are a heap of pics from my phone on this page: www.pugzor.net/ae86pics3/

Most notable are 28122006.jpg which is a picture of one of the brackets, 28122006(003).jpg which is a picture of the full new strut now with the new brackets and discs on, with the AE101 Levin caliper, and then finally the last useful one is 28122006(009).jpg which compares my new disc size to the original being the rusty one. The strut is also in the background of that last one.

No, the brackets aren't painted either. TBS cadium plated the brackets for me as part of their service. No rusting of brackets, and a little more durable than paint.

EDIT: Give it a few minutes, still uploading pictures, will add another edit when they're done. Secondly, I know I paid a pretty hefty price for this but the calipers were still in great condition so I didn't see a point in forking out for brackets + new calipers when I had a set I know didn't need a reco right with me. Oh yeah, TBS also said they will guarantee their brackets to pass an engineers test if I ever need them to testify to the quality of the brackets which is another good reason I didn't mind paying a few coin.

EDIT 2: Pics finished uploading, so knock yourselves out.
    Last edited by PuGZoR; 28-12-2006 at 03:19 PM.

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

thanks for that, how big and wide is your disk?

24mm thick and 278mm wide. As I said before, it's off a Mondeo. Got a pair of slotted ones from TBS for around $250 if memory serves.