Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Heat Shielding

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice MarioM's Avatar

Default Turbo Heat Shielding

Hey all,
    the car is once again of the road, due to having to wait for a new bottom radiator hose to come in... so i decided to tackle the excessive heat problem under the hood. reading around and asking retailers to present options, i have the following solutions.
    1 - Get a turbo heat shield mat and cut it to the size of the exhaust housing
    2- Get a turbo bag, (eg - similar to something of horsepowerinabox)
    horsepowerinabox website brought up an interesting point which was stated in the following
    "As these Blankets are designed to retain heat within the turbo, it is recommended that the blanket be removed for vehicle "Garaging" as retaining the heat without the water/oil circulation may cause long term reduced life for the turbo (this is particularly relevant when used with non-water cooled plain bearing units)"
    The questions i would like to ask are
    - Which is the better option to go for?
    - Does anyone have a better suggestion?
    - Is it recommended that the turbo bags be removed when the car is garaged due to the fact that it covers the whole turbo?
    - as a side note wouldn't this be prevented by cooling the car down after a drive?
    sorry about the long post, but any words of wisdom would be most appreciated
    Mario
    Engineered and on the road - Just in need of a tune...

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Default Re: Turbo Heat Shielding

bags are (generally) used when there is not really room to fit good heat shields/the person is lazy.

I'm a big believer in ceramic coating the exhaust housing of the turbo, and whacking in some XR6-T turbo shield matting to stop the radiated heat cooking your clutch cyl. This is not a cheap option (ceramic coating especially), but it's one I'll be doing.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Is there any disadvantage going with the head shield mats (which are self cut to size to cover just the exhaust housing?)

Powered By Żywiec Backyard Mechanic Adash=P's Avatar

Nope, this is the easiest and cheapest way of heat shielding.

When my brother got his turbo engine put in, the blokes that done the work didn't use any heatshields and it melted the clutch cable. Now the engine has a bunch of shields, still hot but nowhere near as bad as it was before.

A vented bonnet will also help reduce temps.

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

has anyone got pics of the heatshielding that you cut to shape yourself.
    i fail to see how it works :S is it like stiff or something? or does it actually go AGAINST the turbo?
    or
    or
    justcallmepauline, please explain
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

you put it 'close' to the turbo and dump pipe so there's an air-gap between sheild and extremely hot stuff. I welded some bolts to my dump pipe and used those as stand-offs to mount/attach shielding.

scroll to post #40 in my car's thread.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Chuckster, your pic only really shows the shielding of the dump pipe. what did you use for shielding of your actual turbo?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

i still have the twin-skin steel shield that came with the turbo (ex RB20 thing) so no need for something directly over the turbo. I do have another piece mounted on the strut tower nearby as it also gets mighty warm.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

Hey guys I am currently about to undertake heat shielding on my 3tgte. Today I bought that heat wrap stuff you get in a roll. What I want to know is should I just wrap the exhaust or also wrap the dump pipe aswell? I am going to use a sheet of heat shield (same as XR6T stuff) as my exhaust manifold shielding and was thinking:

1)Am I better off letting the heat escape from the dump pipe but shielded from rising into the engine bay by just using the sheet of heat shielding.

2)Or wrap it up with the roll which is therefor trapping the heat near the turbo.

3)Or should I do both

The other question I have is what is the best way to tie the ends of the heat tape? Normal radiator hose style clamps?Wire? The guys at repco were saying that it sticks to itself after you run the engine the first time but I have seen this stuff start to come off on other cars,in particular NA engines with the extractors wrapped.

Thanks in advance
    Nath
    -Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

mine never stuck to itself, so im interested too
    maybe mine was too wet, or you have to apply a lacquer or something to it
    who knows
    im holding mine in place with a hose clamp for the time being
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Diserter Domestic Engineer

I've got a link on my old PC i'll try dredge up, its a guy from supraforums who made a heat shield out of a stainless cooking pot. looked good.

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

Ceramic coating = good. Taking the time to make heat shields for everything = good. Doing both = better. Making sure you try not to mount hot stuff near delicate stuff = a damned good idea.

There seems to be 2 schools of thought regarding the "Nappies" or "turbo blankets"

They are easily purchased through Horsepowerinabox on ebay but many reputable turbo suppliers including Ray Hall dont ever use them.The best exhaust manufacturers i know also advise me not to even wrap heat shield on the pipes saying that it promotes early death of the exhaust components.

So i wrap my pipes and hope for the best..........But I ceramic coat them first just for luck.

The turbo and dump pipe enjoy 10mm of air space before the radiated heat is stopped by a stainless heat shield held in place with nuts tacked onto opportune spots like the chuckster said.

I have heard that the stuff used on the BA XR6 and other fords is really good and light.

It is also even more important to have a turbo timer if you do use a nappy as it obviously retains the heat in the turbo that much longer,apparently more important again for sleeve type bearing turbos.

If you are looking for stainless sheet metal to home fabricate some heat shields you could try the bin of your local kitchenor shopfitters as they seem to throw a lot of offcuts
    [email protected]

its ok not to know everything

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

you have to understand the source of heat and methods of heat trandfer, adn also what you are trying to reduce.....

heat comes from the exhaust gas. it then transfers to the exhaust turbine housing (and manifold and dump etc). to reduce that heat transfer, only internal ceramic coating will help.

next, the heat in the turbine housing (and others) is transmitted by two ways, radiated (by infrared raps etc) and conducted (thru the air itself).
    again, ceramic coating reduces the rate of heat transfer to the air, and also reduces the surface temperature (reducing radiated heat).

heat wrap or blankets, absorb the radiated heat, and also the conducted heat, so the same heat tries to escape from the turbo, but it doesn't go as quickly.. this results in higher turbine component temps, which could result in early failure.

next is radiation shields (the twin sheet shield type thing) which reduces the transfer of radiated heat to the surrounding objects...

only ceramic coating reduces heat transfer from the exhaust.
    both ceramic coating and bags/wrap reduce transfer out of th turbine, but the ceramic (internal also) reduces the temp of the turbine components (comapred to no stuff), whereas bags etc raise the temp.

the amount of heat radiated and conducted result sin higher underbonnet temps...
    again, ceramic is best to reduce this...

radiant heat shields are to preotect other things, but will not reduce underbonnet temps so much...
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Experience shows I'm no Chief Engine Builder Roundy's Avatar

+ another one for the BA XR6 heat shield.

got it on my car, works well....W/A I/C is still able to be touched after hard driving
    "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"
    My ST185 with 278awkw (2.2L is running...)
    1:08.08s @ Wakefield 1:37.29s @ Winton
    27.90s @ Esses Hillclimb