Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 1GGZE into an RN85 Hilux Dual Cab 2WD [Beware - lots of pix]

Breaker OfThe Unbreakable Backyard Mechanic Herus's Avatar

Default Re: 1GGZE into an RN85 Hilux Dual Cab 2WD [Beware - lots of pix]

Well I called the car yard where i was keen to get that car from again today, when i hadnt recieved any pictures by well after lunch time.

Apparently, the car has some major mechinical problems and he cant sell it to me.

His wholesaler is buying it instead.....

Sounds to me like he just didnt want to go through with the hassle of me having the courier pick up from His business and then deliver the car straight to me!

i dunno.. it all just doesnt seem right, he talks it up for 2 or 3 days, then suddenly the car isnt worth fixing even to them?!

I think someone came in off the street and offered him the cash, and he took it..

I'll keep looking for now then...

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Joined Team BHG, 19/7/2008

Joined Team JZX83, 15/11/08

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

I think someone came in off the street and offered him the cash, and he took it..
    sounds spot on
    i put a deposit on an ae86 sprinter only to be told a day later that it was no longer for sale. wanker.

love that bracket idea peter. gold.
    ideal rubber sleeve for some of this gear - old radiator hose.

interestingly that VF6 looks the same as whats on my supercharged VN...

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

Or maybe old inner tube from a bicycle.........just an idea

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Youngy
    Or maybe old inner tube from a bicycle.........just an idea
    Maybe but these are too easy, a perfect fit for the Bunnings U-bracket and not hard to find.

In fact, I've found this afternoon that the Holden Camira also carries a similar BOSCH setup with identical rubbers. So if you luck out on the VLs check the Camiras.

Peter
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

This is the completed fuel pump setup.

The BOSCH Fuel Pump from a VL Commodore, and Z200 Fuel Filter. Both wrapped in a rubber sleeve (VL Commodore or Camira fuel pump rubber), and joined with the modified right angle tubing also from the VL or Camira. I used it as one end has already been stretched to go over the fuel pump's larger end. The right angle bend has been trimmed off to fit the Z200. Both will be bolted to the backing plate which will be mounted on the driver's side chassis rail. The left hand bolt hole will also be the Earth point.

I'm running full hose from the Z200 back to the tank, and also from the fuel pump to the join at the 1GGZE fuel hose. This will be routed under the car across the gearbox mount and both in and out hoses will be encased in soft foam tubing to protect it from road debris, etc.

I will also enlarge the holes in the clamps to take a more solid bolt. spring washer and Nylock nut.

Costs

BOSCH Fuel Pump $50 (inc. intank lift pump, regulator and hoses/clamps)
    Valvoline Z200 Fuel Filter $13.95 (Supercheap Auto)
    U-bend clamps (Bunnings, Pack of 6, about $4)
    Backing Plate (from scrap 2mm aluminium plate) and spray paint (acrylic enamel on-hand)

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 23-02-2007 at 07:54 AM.

Over the weekend wanted to finish off the fuel delivery to the new engine so on Friday afternoon I went to Motorsport Connections at Seven Hills and got a banjo fitting for the fuel return line and a join to connect the other line in.

The first photo shows the banjo fittings, made by Speedflow. These fittings cost $35.
    The second photo is the join which consists of two threaded barbs and a connector. cost $20.

This is all of them connected up, ready to fit.

The banjo fitting replaces the original line what had been crimped and severed when the engine was pulled from the donor vehicle. The fuel-in line was a hose with a crimped and severed join.

A closeup of the original banjo bolt

I also purchased 6 metres of 7.5mm ID EFI fuel hose from Supercheap Auto, which cost me $9.99 a metre. Previous to that I had gone to another local auto parts store and the only EFI fuel hose they had was a DAYCO 3m boxed item but when the guy asked me for $80 I promptly said "No thanks."

I modified the fuel pump/filter bracket to mount both items, joined up the fuel hose, fitted the banjo bolt and connected both lines up to the fuel tank.

This is a close-up of the fuel pump and the Earth point.

Today I did some more painting. I sanded back the door and gave it another coat. I also color-coded the side mirrors, petrol cap door, and a couple of other smaller items, and then gave them two coats of clear. I finished the bonnet with clear too.

Tommorrow I'm hoping to put the door back together and fit it, and start on the others. Also, I'm hoping my MA70 rotors will come back from the machine shop during the week so I can complete the rear disc conversion.

Cheers,

Peter

Update time on the conversion:

I've moved on to fixing up the Hilux tray. First job was to get it out of the carport and out where I can move around it with power tools and spray equipment.

I put the tray onto the hobby horses under our maple tree, and began sanding it back.

I sanded all the way round, and cleaned up a few deeper scratches. There were also a couple of dings which I fixed not long after I got it but these were not done very well so I decided to redo them utilising my new Bosch orbital sander.

I etch primed the rails where bare metal had been revealed.

Then I gave it two coats of primer/filler, and sanded that back.

The rear lower tray had a big hit sometime in it's life so I used copious amounts of filler to smooth it out. It took three applications to build it up to a reasonable level. The Bosch orbital did a great job of smoothing and shaping before I gave it a final sand with W&D 600 grit.

I then gave the tray three coats of grey primer, sanding down with W&D 1200 grit between each coat.

To bring the tray up I sanded all the rust scratches out (it's carried the odd engine or two since i last did this) and gave it a coat of mutli-speck paint (Speck 2000). This is a great coating and very hard wearing - you spray it directly over undercoat.

Cheers,

Peter

Here are some photos of the paintwork around the Lux:

Here I've put the cowling and the wipers back on:

The door trim and latches installed, and the scuff plates on the floor:

Close-up:

The rear with all plugs re-installed, and window cleaned, and rubber window surround cleaned up of it's masking tape residue:

And the fuel tank back in, and all connected up:

So, getting there but still some way to go.

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 02-03-2007 at 07:02 AM.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Thats looking great! Well done

Rejoice! It is finally all coming together, and I think after four months the end is in sight. I won't know what to do with myself

I finished off the tray yesterday after many hours of sanding, filling, undercoating and painting. For a ute that's almost 20 years old I think it is coming up okay (even if I do say so myself )

Here's the rear:

And from a couple of different angles, you get the idea. I tried to be a little more patient and thorough this time 'round, getting in all the hard-to-access places.

As with all Acrylics it needs a good cutback and buff to bring it up, but I'm leaving that until its all back together, and fully cured. I'll probably wait about 30 days before hitting it with the Septone Cutting Compound - I've tried a couple and I think it's about the best on the market for finish.

I had to also make a small repair on the guard as a large chunk of bog broke off when I twisted the guard picking it up. The underlying rust had cracked the bog away from the metal. So I got out the angle grinder and cleaned it back to shiny metal, filled it and then shaped it.

I'm a bit low on cash at the moment so my plans for the front-end conversion are on hold. To that effect I had to get the old bumper bar and valance from under the house, sand them back and paint them. This will be a temporary measure.

I've also got the tray fitted but not bolted up, as I still need to do some work on the rear brakes. The rotors are due back on Tuesday so I'm looking forward to starting on that, and my MA70 booster and master cylinder should be at the P.O. (I've got the little red notice on Friday but the P.O. had closed by the time I checked )

Today I'm putting as much as I can back on the Lux, and refitting the rear passenger's door.

Cheers,

Peter

Here's a reasonable glimpse of what the Lux looks like complete with front end on:

And this is what I feel like:

Cheers,

Peter

Breaker OfThe Unbreakable Backyard Mechanic Herus's Avatar

Peter,

Its looking Great!!

It doesnt even need the complete chrome front end, it looks hot as is!

But theres a dent on your bonnet!

Cant wait till i get to the stage of actually being able to get that far...

Theres no point me spending time and cash if when I take the car into Transport SA, they go "Oh, your chassis is twisted. Bad luck" or something similar.. (I tend to have that kind of luck )

Now back to it..

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Joined Team BHG, 19/7/2008

Joined Team JZX83, 15/11/08

Quote Originally Posted by Herus

But there's a dent on your bonnet!
    No worries. There's a few of them on the roof too but I'm not overly fussed. I thought I might get a dent removal guy to fix them some time down the track!

Cheers,

Peter

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

peter, awesome work mate. coming together nicely mate

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

It's all starting to come together now. Great looking truck.
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver