Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: 1GGZE into an RN85 Hilux Dual Cab 2WD [Beware - lots of pix]

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Default Re: 1GGZE into an RN85 Hilux Dual Cab 2WD [Beware - lots of pix]

Quote Originally Posted by Herus
    Excellent Peter!

I have to ask though, how are you finding the gear ratio?

I find in my lux with the G52, i have to change out of first at about 30km/h, and then second at 50km/h, just wondering if you have found any difference with the new engine.

I like to be doing 50 ish in first, then upto 80 in second.. (to much time driving the ae92 )

My Major concern when i do a conversion will be this...

If i can save many $ and not buy a W58, id love to.. but wanted to hear what the drive was like from soneone that had driven a lux with the right conversion..

Thanks

Andrew
    Andrew,

I think I got it up over 80 in 2nd, no problem. I'll give it a run tomorrow and confirm speeds through the lower gears.

Cheers,

Peter
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter-Saurus
    Best colour ever Pete, that ute of yours looks awesome to say the least.

Now I know why you liked all the pictures from The Black & White Cookie seeing how many pics you documented in this thread hehe.

One question for ya mate, how does it like towing the trailer and the race-car ?!

Cheers, Daniel.
    Yeah, gotta love photos. "A picture is worth a thousand words" I believe.

Glad you like the colour. It comes up well in photos.

Haven't towed the trailer/race car yet so can't comment but I don't envisage any problems except the usual gas consumption ones. My main concern will be (over)heating. I'll let you know as soon as I've had a chance to do so.

Keep up the good work on the B&W. Love that air cylinder idea.

Cheers,

Peter

Breaker OfThe Unbreakable Backyard Mechanic Herus's Avatar

Peter,

If your not having to many issues with ratios, i might have to get you to check your diff for me as well...

Something makes my hilux like driving a diesel..

I can generally take off in second with out to much of a problem...

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Joined Team BHG, 19/7/2008

Joined Team JZX83, 15/11/08

Quote Originally Posted by Herus
    Peter, If your not having to many issues with ratios, i might have to get you to check your diff for me as well...
    Diff is G292 as follows:

G = 8.0 inch gear
    29= 4.10 gear ratio
    2 = 2 pinion, open diff

For more info like this:

http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html

Havn't had a good run in the Lux to test the speed through the gears. I've been fitting a new radiator as my first one sprung a leak on Friday. I should have it finished tomorrow. Gives me a chance to tidy up some of the wiring too.

Cheers,

Peter

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

hey peter are you running a lsd diff in your hilux??
    if so when i built mine i swapped the ratio from 4.8 (4wd)
    to a 3.9 lsd but if you get an lsd try to get a 4.1 ratio with lsd carrier because as i found out the housings differ between 4.8 ratio and 4.1 ratio
    i have been told that the 4.8 (4wd)housings run a offset
    pinion

Just a heads up so you dont get the wrong housing

im also still driving the hilux with the 22r and the new ratio and it actually feels better as you dont have to change gears 4 times before 30kph
    i didnt think the 4.1 to 3.9 would be that noticeable but it is

Thats how my hilux feels...

Changing gears so often, i like a nice long run in the first 3 gears...

The AE92 that we have pushes 50 in first, then 80 in second with out to much drama. havent been able to get to the top of third as im not big on speeding..

Thanks the kind of ratio id love...

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

My radiator blew!

I was coming home on Friday and noticed the water temp was up over 100deg C so I flicked the fan on, but nothing happened. It stayed up high. I thought that was strange.

Then on Saturday I went over to my parent's house and the Lux stopped. I checked under the bonnet and steam was puffing out in a couple of places from the right hand side of the radiator.

I refilled the radiator and got it home. I rang SSS Automotive and they agreed to replace the radiator under warranty, which was good. I drove over and picked up a new S13 radiator - actually got to pick it out myself so I got a really good one.

I figured whilst I had the radiator out I'd rejig how it was mounted. This was mainly to see if I could squeeze another thermo fan in there.

After a couple of test fits I decided it was possible so I went down to my local Supercheap Auto and bought another 10" fan.

The original radiator was mounted using two aluminium strips bolted to the radiator supports.

I had made up an aluminium bar when I first started thinking about mounting the radiator but ditched it because it interfered with the pulleys on the engine.

So I dug it out of the garage and modified it to clear the pulleys. It's mounted in two holes on either side of the Hilux rails with some long bolts. It has two tabs mounted forward to take the two radiator legs and rubber inserts. This forms the base of the support.

You can see in the above photo where I have cut out a section. I also had to trim a bit on the left side to allow the lower radiator hose to be fitted comfortably.

Here are the two 10" thermos mounted side by side. They have been carefully placed to avoid any interference, and were only possible by utilising the lower bar which moved the whole assembly about 2-3mm forward of the previous mounts. It also raised the whole radiator up in the engine bay but this was not a problem as there is plenty of clearance under the Hilux bonnet.

Another view:

I used the plastic locking ties this time not the metal threads so as to minimise any possibility of damage to the radiator.

As you can see there's not much real estate left!

Here's the whole assembly mounted:

It's a tight fit but there is, in reality, plenty of clearance.

The right hand fan is about 3mm from the supercharger pulley. I had to move the lower right mounting tab to the six o'clock position to clear the pulley.

After wiring everything up I upgraded the fuse from a 10 to a 15 as the fans are wired together off the one switch.

This should see considerably lower temperatures in the Lux, and make towing (and using the right foot) a little more comfortable.

Cheers,

Peter

To mount the 1GGZE successfully in the Hilux engine bay you need to tilt it slightly to the left (from the driver's side to the passenger side). To do this you make up a spacer with a nominal width of 10mm. I actually found I needed another 2mm to clear the power steering so anyone making up this spacer should use a bit of "trial and error".

The same goes for the measurements. You should treat them as approximate. The spacer is designed to mimic the chassis rail mounting with the two tabs used on the chassis rail mounting to hold the spacer in situ. When you go to do the job you will see what I mean if this is a bit confusing.

Here's the template for the spacer:

Good luck.

Cheers,

Peter

My apologies for the missing photos. I ran out of space on my personal server so I am slowly transferring all the photos to Photobucket.

I've started redirecting to Photobucket today and will do as many as I can over the next few days until they are all back up.

Cheers,

Peter

Junior Member Grease Monkey

sorry to jump your thread, those questioning gearing, my 1uz - w58 with 4.1diff pulls 100 in 2nd and 150 in third. noth sure on first as gets there to quick

bansheebuzz,

Are you able to give details on the engine mounts/ conversion details of how difficult it was to install the 1UZ into the hilux?

Also what did you use for the conversion to the W58 in the way of bellhousings etc.

PM if you like.

Thanks

Herus
    Member's ride thread!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

1uz + w58 required castlemain rod shop(crs) manual conversion kit and crs block brackets. Bolts into rn85 original engine rubbers and original gearbox mount

Forum Member

Hi I love the conversion...I want to do the same with the 1G-GZE engine and put it in my '96 Toyota Hilux Trayback! Could you please email me a complete list of items needed for the conversion & if at all possible a brief how to on the conversion.....I love the conversion and have already sourced the engine!

Would be greatly appreciated if you could assistin anyway possible!

Jeremy & Jessica Meyer [email protected]

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WyldDogg
    Hi I love the conversion...I want to do the same with the 1G-GZE engine and put it in my '96 Toyota Hilux Trayback! Could you please email me a complete list of items needed for the conversion & if at all possible a brief how to on the conversion.....I love the conversion and have already sourced the engine!

Would be greatly appreciated if you could assistin anyway possible!

Jeremy & Jessica Meyer [email protected]
    Jeez mate...I would've thought the previous 14 pages would've been a pretty good "brief" !

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

You wont be able to register/engineer a 1ggze into a 96 lux without a whole heap of trouble as the 1ggze's stopped being produced well before 96 meaning your putting an older engine into a newere car and rego/engineers/adr rules dont like that!
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily